Author Topic: Pro-life hypocrisy  (Read 541 times)

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Pro-life hypocrisy
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2021, 10:13:06 PM »
There were plenty of teen pregnancies in the Victorian era. Sexual repression in society doesn't halt an essential biological drive. Same thing with Islamic societies. Monogamy is also exceedingly unnatural, even more so mating for life with one partner. Doesn't mean it can't work for some, it surely does. But hanging your hope on some idyllic utopia where teens are all respectful monks who conform to your idea of life partner pairing for the purpose of procreation is simply fantasy.

I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm not that versed in Victorian cultural norms and their roots, but it sounds like a nebulous argument to me. It just doesn't sound compelling to say that based on some particular historical example (which in itself may have been fraught with inappropriate cultural artifacts of its own) that it's not realistic. I could just as soon show you modern Japan and argue that the increasing lack of interest in sex is 'proof' of the converse of what you argue. Obviously it would not be proof at all, and to whatever extent it was evidence of something, it's not even easy to parse what that something might be. These things are far too complex to reduce to a simple analogy or example and say yes or no. And maybe every society so far has been inappropriately set up vis a vis bringing up people in a more tasteful way regarding sex. The answer that I'm being utopian might well be warranted if I were to say that; but then again who would have thought that kids could be brought up in a society where adults do not routinely murder each other? 300 years ago you might not have been able to name any society where that was true, and someone saying that, "well, maybe in the future we'll have a more advanced culture where people mostly don't kill each other," would come across as silly and utopian. Who would have known that one day some combination of advanced police techniques, forensic evidence, increase in overall wealth making it too risky to lose everything, and other factors would conspire to make it virtually unthinkable for most people to do a murder. Who'da thunk. So maybe one day it won't be silly re: teenage temptations to sex either. Right now, yeah, it's unrealistic. That doesn't mean it's good.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
Murdering other people is not a fundamental biological imperative. Do repressive societies reduce the amount of teen sex? Almost certainly. The countries where women can be murdered or mutilated either in response to having sex, appearing like they might have sex, or just plain pre-emptively will certainly curb that natural desire. Whether Beyonce twerks or not has little to no impact. Elvis appearing on screen made parents weep with terror over the influence, but boys were shaking their hips long before he showed up on TV.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
Arizona just narrowly avoided a law criminalizing nearly all abortions, even if the fetus had severe fetal abnormality - as long as the abnormality was non fatal.

This links describes the bill (illegal 'after fetal heart beat detected').

https://tucson.com/news/arizona_news/senate-committee-oks-bill-that-criminalizes-abortions-done-after-fetal-heartbeat-detected/article_ccec4735-ed63-54a1-bbcd-b04ca0de01b8.html