Author Topic: New trans laws  (Read 7300 times)

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: New trans laws
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2021, 06:56:10 PM »
No, it wasn't.  ::) >:(

But it's par for the course these days.  :'(

Every controversial stance that gets wide circulation on the internet results in threats, either physical, death threats, or both.  Name one person who is famous and controversial who hasn't gotten them.  P.Z. Myers has gotten them, and do you even know or care who he is? :)  It's like a knee-jerk reaction these days--say something that a bunch of people strongly disagree with, and get threaten.  >:(

And it doesn't matter which side you're on, or if you're not even on a side.  The anonymous nature of the internet empowers some jerk or other to feel that he can threaten someone without consequences.  And he is almost always right.  >:(

I feel bad for her.  I like her books.  She seems like a nice person.  And even if I disagree with what she says, she shouldn't be threatened for it.

I wish there was something we could do about it.  (Perhaps remove the anonymous nature of the web?  ;) )

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: New trans laws
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2021, 11:33:11 PM »
I tend to agree. Death threats are serious and I don't know what level of consequence there should be, but it seems like at best people get deplatformed only to prop up a replacement account within minutes. I would like to see it prosecuted as a crime, but I think the distinguishing factor is when someone says "I will kill you" versus "I want you dead, or I hope you die."

If just wishing someone would get a pipe bomb in the mail got someone in legal trouble constituted a death threat, courts could never handle the strain.