Author Topic: Archives -- broken redirect  (Read 1189 times)

alai

• Members
    • View Profile
Archives -- broken redirect
« on: December 22, 2021, 01:59:12 PM »
On the forum landing page, the "Archives" category (link http://www.ornery.org/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html) causes a server error:

Software error:
Can't open '/var/www/vhosts/ornery.org/html/ubb/cache-BZEN4Z9S/lock/global.cgi'. I was unable to find that file or directory. Please check the paths. The exact error returned by the operating system is: No such file or directory

Apologies if this is redundant, or in this wrong place.  I only really mention it as I found myself obstinately clicking on it several times, in a state of mental befuddlement as to where I should be going post-migration to find the "old" discussions.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Archives -- broken redirect
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:13:29 PM »
There might be a backup (one was attempted via a spider that visits all links - but it is unclear how successful it was) made by a member, hasn't been made available yet (badly designed spider software, so 90% of the links are database error links).

You might be able to access some of the content via the wayback machine.

Other than that, I don't think they exist anymore (there might be a backup of the database somewhere, but it hasn't been made available).

alai

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »
I wasn't actually looking for the "old old archives", I assumed -- for some mentally bewildered reason -- that the post-OSC regime forum was hiding in there, and that's where I needed to go.  And having gone to the wrong place and got a server error message, rather than any content or notice that made it obvious I'd gone the wrong way, backing up and going to the right one, I kept doing the same thing, and expecting different results.

So I wasn't looking for the actual archives to be retrieved, just suggesting the error message be tidied away in some manner.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
Both the more recent and the old archives are no longer available via conventional methods.

alai

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
Both the more recent and the old archives are no longer available via conventional methods.
Again, I wasn't actually looking for the archives, I was looking for this section, but had confused myself.

Generally good if servers don't give server errors, is the more general take-away.