Author Topic: SOTU, STFU  (Read 456 times)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
SOTU, STFU
« on: March 02, 2022, 11:22:22 AM »
So I haven't dug through all of the speech yet, but I definitely had a chuckle when I saw Boebert yelled, "You put them there!"

It reminded me of somebody shouting "that's what she said!" when it doesn't apply.

So Biden gave servicemembers... Cancer? Because that's what he was talking about at the time.

Everybody's favorite Q-A-Mom doesn't disappoint.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: SOTU, STFU
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 11:37:37 AM »
It would be funnier if she wasn't an elected representative of the US. Its funny to chuckle at the crazy on the internet, its scary when the crazy gets put into a position of responsibility.

Too bad the right has no standards of decency anymore. Heckling a president as he talks about cancer deaths in the military, including his own sons death is pretty low. As least grandpa Biden didn't offer to fight her on the spot.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 08:30:56 PM »
https://www.whitehouse.gov/state-of-the-union-2022/
One way to fight inflation is to drive down wages and make Americans poorer.

I think I have a better idea to fight inflation: Lower your costs, not your wages.

Because in the history of commercial enterprise in the United States, businessmen and women have never considered the possibility of reducing their cost of doing business. (And the solutions covered in the speech did nothing to lower costs for businesses)

...Well, unless they're government contractors. Sorry, but on this one, Joe Biden's "great idea" simply underscores how deeply out of touch he is with the portions of the United States not within 1 or 2 removes of government service or government contracts. Those are the only groups where "lower your costs, not your wages" to combat inflation makes much sense.

Employees are one of the largest expenses a business carries, and they're also generally one of the easier ones to "adjust" on the macro level. (Wages, number of employees on payroll)

What immediately followed didn't help demonstrate any better grip on reality:

And, folks, that means make more cars and semiconductors in America, more infrastructure and innovation in America, more goods moving faster and cheaper in America, more jobs where you can earn a good living in America.

Instead of relying on foreign supply chains, let’s make it in America.

Look, economists call this increasing the productive capacity of our economy.

Sure let's get right on that.... Except uh, there is the whole matter of why that needs to be addressed.

Why did they leave in the first place? Oh right, it was more expensive to do things here. Why was that again?

But sure, let us play Sim City and simply plop down a bunch of industrial buildings across the country, facilitated by government money of course. That should fix our supply chain problems in no time flat. We'll just ignore the other factors involved in how we got here in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 08:35:49 PM by TheDeamon »

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 12:28:37 AM »
simply plop down a bunch of industrial buildings across the country, facilitated by government money of course.

But the right answer is what, to cram tariffs Trump style and make those foreign goods really expensive?

Everybody in both parties needs to get a grip and understand globalization and universal human freedom means the jobs go to the most efficient place. Until it isn't anymore. The chain will run out. It went through America (the cheap place in the 19th century), Japan, Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan, China. The world is a better place once it is equally expensive to make something everywhere - with the exception of certain geographic advantages of being near the raw materials or having the infrastructure.

I think I have a better idea to fight inflation: Lower your costs, not your wages.

Nice plucked soundbite. Except that you missed the part where he talks about lowering costs.

Correct. Government price controls should bring down our drug costs to be equivalent with the other industrialized nations. This DOES cut costs for businesses because lower drug costs = lower insurance premiums = lower costs for businesses.

lower the price of electric vehicles, saving another $80 a month that you’ve not going to have to pay at the pump.

Correct. Inflation in the price of gasoline is irrelevant to Americans with an electric vehicle. That cuts all transportation costs, including freight. Freight and transportation cuts costs for businesses. Imagine if every Amazon van were electric, spurred by government incentive, cutting costs for one of our largest corporations.

My plan would cut the cost of childcare in half for most families and help parents, including millions of women who left the workforce during the pandemic because they couldn’t afford childcare to be able to get back to work, generating economic growth.

But my plan doesn’t stop there. It also includes home and long-term care, more affordable housing, pre-K for three- and four-year-olds. All of these will lower costs to families.

Correct. Making education available to three and four year olds would eliminate expensive daycare for working families, especially single parents. Productivity cuts costs for businesses, as more people enter the workforce and they have happier employees who are proven to be more productive.

But hell, how we gonna pay for that?

Last year, 55 of the Fortune 500 companies earned $40 billion in profit and paid zero in federal taxes.

No, look, it’s not fair. That’s why I proposed a 15 percent minimum tax rate for corporations.

Yes, those companies should pay taxes. Starting with a reversal of ill-advised tax breaks that have had marginal benefit if we're being charitable. Those companies don't need to cut costs, they already have whopping margins. Just have less of them.

But wait, if we do that and other countries don't, then won't they "steal" all our jobs and companies will relocate overseas?

We’ve got — and that’s why in the G7 and other meetings overseas we were able to put together — I was able to be somewhat helpful — 130 countries to agree on a global minimum tax rate — so companies can’t get out of paying their taxes at home by shipping jobs and factories overseas. It’ll raise billions of dollars.

Oh.

See what’s happening with ocean carriers moving goods in and out of America. During the pandemic, about half a dozen or less foreign-owned companies raised prices by as much as 1,000 percent and made record profits.

Tonight, I’m announcing a crackdown on those companies overcharging American businesses and consumers.

Not sure how he's going to go about that, but I sure like finding a way to stick it to price gougers. And dumpers, and other unfair international practices.