Author Topic: A Victory for France  (Read 498 times)

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
A Victory for France
« on: April 24, 2022, 08:38:45 PM »
Well Macron has defeated LaPenn by 16 points and she has conceded.  How long before Trump calls her a weak woman for not claiming election fraud, which has plenty of evidence of.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: A Victory for France
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 10:36:34 PM »
— Almost a third of Marine Le Pen's voters believe that the French presidential election has been rigged, according to an opinion poll.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 02:14:45 PM »
Well Macron has defeated LaPenn by 16 points and she has conceded.  How long before Trump calls her a weak woman for not claiming election fraud, which has plenty of evidence of.

Hahahahahah, I knew it. Start a thread about the French election and make it all about trump. Amazing.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 02:11:29 PM »
How long before Trump calls her a weak woman for not claiming election fraud, which has plenty of evidence of.

Given that France requires id to vote, limits voting to registered French citizens, requires votes to be cast in person on a single day, requires paper ballots that remain the official record, and only permits absentee ballots through a process that requires the individual appear at a police station to name a voting proxy (who can only serve as a proxy for one person), where would fraud enter the picture?

That's what a voting process looks like if you're serious about eliminating fraud.  Everyone of those measures has been broken in the US and in the 2020 election the controls around even the already expand mechanics were smashed.

Or were you actually thinking you made a good faith argument?

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »
If Macron winning is a victory for France like Biden winning was a "victory" for America, then God help them. Biden is a disaster for America and yet he's still celebrated like he saved us.

I don't know enough about France to say but I do see their police state on display with the cops carrying fully automatic submachine guns as a matter of course. If that's what success looks like then it looks more like failure than anything else. I also understand they jacked taxes on the rich so much and so many renounced their citizenship because of it that they had to back off, a tacit admission that it was a mistake.

It looks like their national debt to gdp is 98%. I'm not up on a high horse though because ours is even worse. I'm not seeing how France is doing so great now that anyone can really say Macron is a success. The same for America and Biden too of course. Things are getting worse and worse and it looks like they will get even worse some more before they finally get even worse than that. So when do they get better? Honestly, it doesn't look like they will. We're in the downward spiral of doom and it's accelerating. And France doesn't look to be doing much if any better.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
I thought conservatives loved machine guns, assault rifles, nunchuks, and shuriken?

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 04:27:27 PM »
In general sure, of course, but not if the specific reason for them is rampant Islamic terrorism.

Gotta love how this UK government site throws in a warning about French right wing terrorists while putting out a list with no white right wing terrorists at all:

"Attacks could be indiscriminate including in places frequented by foreign nationals such as shopping centres, entertainment establishments, public transport and places of worship. Methods of attack have included knife attacks, shootings, bombings, as well as vehicle attacks. Due to ongoing threats to France by Islamist terrorist groups, and recent French military intervention against Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL), the French government has warned the public to be extra vigilant and has reinforced its own domestic and overseas security measures. You should be vigilant in public places and follow the advice of local French authorities.

There is also a threat from individuals with an extreme right-wing terrorist ideology."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/terrorism

"In recent years, there have been a number of high profile terrorist attacks across France. Previous attacks in France include:

On 16 October 2020, a school teacher was killed and beheaded outside the school where he worked in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, a town north west of Paris.
On 25 September 2020, a knife attack took place in the Richard Lenoir area of the 11th arrondissement, in central Paris. Two people were injured.
On 3 January 2020, one person was killed and two injured in a knife attack near Paris.
On 3 October 2019, an employee killed 4 people in a knife attack at the Paris police headquarters.
On 24 May 2019, a bomb exploded near a bakery on a busy street in Lyon wounding 13 people.
On 11 December 2018, a man attacked civilians with a revolver and a knife at a Christmas market in Strasbourg, killing 5 and wounding 11.
On 14 July 2016, 84 people were killed when a truck was driven through a crowd of people on the promenade in Nice.
On 13 November 2015, terrorist attacks at multiple sites across Paris and Saint-Denis killed 130 and injured over 400 more.
Between 7-9 January 2015, 17 people were killed in shooting attacks across the Île-de-France region including at the Charlie Hebdo offices and a supermarket."

--------------------------------

Although to be fair I haven't seen anything in the news lately. Unless it's just not being reported anymore like so much of our own crime, Macron's police state does have its advantages.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 04:31:04 PM »
A fair discussion could point out the things that are better in America now because of Biden and better in France now because of Macron.

I don't know enough about France to say but I'm not seeing what's better now in America under Biden.

Covid. If it's because of the vaccines then Trump deserves more credit than Biden for those. If it's because of masks then Biden caused the delta and omicron surge by saying it was safe to take them off when it wasn't. Maybe it's winding down now but that's no thanks to Biden unless we're giving him credit for the "let her rip" strategy that Republicans have been advocating all along.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 12:58:54 PM »
On 16 October 2020, a school teacher was killed and beheaded outside the school where he worked in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, a town north west of Paris.
On 25 September 2020, a knife attack took place in the Richard Lenoir area of the 11th arrondissement, in central Paris. Two people were injured.
On 3 January 2020, one person was killed and two injured in a knife attack near Paris.
On 3 October 2019, an employee killed 4 people in a knife attack at the Paris police headquarters.
On 24 May 2019, a bomb exploded near a bakery on a busy street in Lyon wounding 13 people.
On 11 December 2018, a man attacked civilians with a revolver and a knife at a Christmas market in Strasbourg, killing 5 and wounding 11.
On 14 July 2016, 84 people were killed when a truck was driven through a crowd of people on the promenade in Nice.
On 13 November 2015, terrorist attacks at multiple sites across Paris and Saint-Denis killed 130 and injured over 400 more.
Between 7-9 January 2015, 17 people were killed in shooting attacks across the Île-de-France region including at the Charlie Hebdo offices and a supermarket."

To be sure, tragic loss of life. Hardly seems to qualify as "rampant". Particularly justifying policy like banning the hijab, which as far as I know has never been involved in a terrorist action. Macron is opposing such anti-Muslim actions that their Senate is trying to push past him.