Author Topic: #Tweetstorm 14:1-5  (Read 12793 times)

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: #Tweetstorm 14:1-5
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »
What’s funny is there seems to be a general feeling on the conservative side that Musk is somehow their natural ally.
He's strongly libertarian on most issues. While Libertarians and conservative overlap on a number of issues, where they diverge can have a rather significant gulf that needs to be spanned.

Musk would peddle his own underage daughters in a brothel if he found it to his advantage.

He has no moral compass as you would recognize it. He’s neurodivergent and plays by a rule book very few people are capable of understanding.

Welcome to the realm of Libertarians, where a great many of them are Anarco-Capitalists.

He’s very likely buying Twitter with the desire to shape politics and the world with it. He will let free speech fly then shape the narrative with algorithms. If you don’t understand how this is done you’re already playing out of your league.

To what end? His own. What might those be? Magic 8 ball says…

IIRC, he's also said he intends to make much of that same algorithm "far more transparent" and because he owns the company outright, nobody can use the SEC to force him to not make that information more widely available.

Obviously things like SEO counters are going to present a big problem for him, so it'll be interesting to see what they do manage to make public.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2022, 08:42:38 PM »
My biggest concern are his other business exposures in China that may make him susceptible to pressure to censure for or provide data to the Chinese government behind the scenes. Also it could become an American right wing radicalization organizing tool again. Alex Jones, et al, will love the bigger platforms to spread their lies and con their followers again.

Uh, given Musk's track record over the past 20 years. I have a very strong hunch that most of Musk's business ventures in China are about "saving the world" first, and making a profit second. In fact, he probably considers everything he's invested in China to be "a write-off" from day one, where any profits he does obtain prior to China dropping the hammer on his businesses there is simply gravy. Basically, he's over there so China can steal that IP and incorporate it into their own activities.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »
Explain attacking somebody who criticized his submarine move as a theatrical offer by calling him a pedophile without it being about his ego and narcissism.

Well, the claim had sufficient merit that the guy lost his lawsuit against Musk...

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2022, 08:48:39 PM »
How often do you troll around on 8chan? I don't, its not a good section of internet. Forcing everyone to block every internet troll is harmful to user experience and society. Forget being a public woman on twitter with no content standards. How many lude remarks and harassing messages are okay per day? How many people would walk right up to violent threats? You manage to participate as a civil member of society on this forum despite our moderation rules. Smaller scale but same idea. To foster civil discussion we have some standards. Some members walk fine lines around those standards but generally it works to allow people to largely discuss ideas without threatening each other or devolving into trading insults. Saying twitter shouldn't have any standards because people should be free to express hate as much as they want is crazy. Why can't twitter try to have a reasonable user experience without every Jew on twitter having to block every white nationalist neo nazi bone head who wants to say horrible things to them constantly. If someone is harming the user experience for the majority of users by expressing hate and being hurtful constantly, twitter (as a private entity) has the right to kick them off. The government can't put them in jail for their speech but getting kicked off twitter isn't a government action, first amendment doesn't apply.

Or you know, you provide content filtering options to your users, rather than adopt a one size fits all approach that caters to the lowest common denominator found among a group of people who share certain political leanings.

The problem with your solution of just block them is that for many people (women, Jews, black people, probably everyone else) their whole twitter experience would end up being consumed by blocking the worst million online trolls before they could actually engage with whatever community they wanted to in the first place.

You're assuming the only option would be to manually block all of those people on an individual basis at the end-user side of things. There are intermediate steps that can be taken.

If you want content filtering by the NAACP, ADL, GLAAD, The New York Times, and whomever else, knock yourself out. Just don't mandate that everyone else has to use the same settings for their use-case.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2022, 08:56:36 PM »
Even if people had control of perfect opt in filtering that meant you'd never see somebody talking about subhuman n*ggers unless you deliberately choose to, it is in society's best interests to limit the spread of that message and reinforcement of behavior that inevitably leads to harm to the object of their hatred. That hatred might manifest as street altercations, murder, or verbal assault. Being able to see that there are millions of other racists subscribed to r/whitepower encourages racists to feel like it's normal and just another point of view. I mean like, sure that's pretty much what r/tuckercarlson is, but they have to speak in coffee at least.

See my prior post regarding how insulting, and frankly sad, it is to see so many people being fully bought into the idea of there being tens of millions of "racists in waiting" just waiting for their chance to connect with a Racist group online where they'll instantly transform from a 3 of out 10 on the racism scale to 11 out of 10 overnight(or over 20 years) because of that.

You ever consider the possibility that also works in reverse? That 3/10 guy, once exposed to 10/10 guy might very quickly become 1/10 guy instead. That is kind of what happened in the 1960's when the racism of the deep south was given national news coverage on television. Why should you expect people would find "full exposure" any less repugnant today?

Sure, if you let the racists "groom" their targets, you leave those people wide open for conversion, a little bit at a time. But they can only do that now because in major media channels, all they could hope to encounter is a caricature of such groups on a television drama or action/adventure.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2022, 09:05:48 PM »
Why are you so scared of letting others make their own decisions on this?

January 6th.

I’m surprised you don’t see the danger as well. Considering your rightful concern about people openly calling for the killing of white people or cops. Such actors shouldn’t be given a public megaphone to recruit and radicalize. They can say all the nasty crap they want drinking in their backyard. We don’t need to have a forum that lets them easily and relatively anonymously broadcast that to the world.

So... If I'm of the view that Musk's approach makes it less likely that such an event would happen(at least, from the right wing) that's unacceptable?

The media forced those people into an extreme fringe by way of using censorship rather than rebuttals to address the issue. It made it impossible for friends, associates, and others to be aware of the scope of the issue and possibly walk those closer to them away from that ledge. Because Facebook and Twitter saw fit to ensure those people "knew" that such thoughts should not be posted there. Neighbors and friends can't fix problems they don't know about. This also in turn runs us back into the public square side of things.

jc44

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2022, 05:20:28 AM »
Even if people had control of perfect opt in filtering that meant you'd never see somebody talking about subhuman n*ggers unless you deliberately choose to, it is in society's best interests to limit the spread of that message and reinforcement of behavior that inevitably leads to harm to the object of their hatred. That hatred might manifest as street altercations, murder, or verbal assault. Being able to see that there are millions of other racists subscribed to r/whitepower encourages racists to feel like it's normal and just another point of view. I mean like, sure that's pretty much what r/tuckercarlson is, but they have to speak in coffee at least.

See my prior post regarding how insulting, and frankly sad, it is to see so many people being fully bought into the idea of there being tens of millions of "racists in waiting" just waiting for their chance to connect with a Racist group online where they'll instantly transform from a 3 of out 10 on the racism scale to 11 out of 10 overnight(or over 20 years) because of that.

You ever consider the possibility that also works in reverse? That 3/10 guy, once exposed to 10/10 guy might very quickly become 1/10 guy instead. That is kind of what happened in the 1960's when the racism of the deep south was given national news coverage on television. Why should you expect people would find "full exposure" any less repugnant today?

Sure, if you let the racists "groom" their targets, you leave those people wide open for conversion, a little bit at a time. But they can only do that now because in major media channels, all they could hope to encounter is a caricature of such groups on a television drama or action/adventure.
I'm perfectly prepared to believe that majority of people when confronted by such extreme views just go "oh look, another nutter" but the issue is how big the minority is that goes "there must be something in that" and get drawn in (vs. what would have happened if not exposed).  Unfortunately you only need a small proportion of the population to be radicalized to to present a real danger to society.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »
For those interested, there's an in-depth article published by the Brookings Institution.

Segregating ourselves so we do not have to listen to people who differ from us is not a remedy for the information externalities that make hate speech and misinformation so dangerous even to people who are not exposed to it. People cannot remain indifferent to what other people in society believe because what other people believe affects them. If enough people reject vaccines and other public health measures, we are all at risk from the next pandemic. If enough people become racists or intolerant of the LGBTQ community, significant parts of our community are not safe in their own society. And how are we going to agree on what to teach our children if there is no uniform public platform where we can exchange ideas?

By the same token, you do realize just how insulting it is that many people seem firmly convinced that there are "Millions of racists in waiting" just needing to encounter that one moment where another racist says just the right thing and BOOM they're instantly transformed into a diehard racist who thinks the German SS didn't go far enough.

It's not millions in waiting its thousands. The Buffalo shooter posted that he was radicalized on 4chan. People in his life at some point realized it, reported his threats to the authorities, had him involuntarily committed for a psychiatric assessment which he passed. Then a few months later he buys some guns and starts shooting up strangers at a grocery store. This is exactly the type of thing I was pointing out happens when the internet becomes all legal speech. This is the most extreme example and luckily very rare. But there is no reason to host the recruiters and radicalizers on mainstream services so that they can more easily reach the people vulnerable to radicalization.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2022, 01:53:29 PM »
Viewed 6969 times

"Nice"

And so it came to pass
On the 301st Episode
Of the 269th Season
The Elon descended into hell
And there vanquished the gatekeepers
And set free We Tha Peoples
And Spake
"I did it to try and help humanity, whom I love"

It's funny.  The Katabasis is kinda standard for the epic hero in poetry and mythology.  Oddyseus, Theseus, Hercules, Aeneas, Dante, Enkidu, Osiris, Jesus, Odin, Bill and Ted.  They all had to journey to the underworld or hell.   

Today we have Musk.  Who has descended into the hell of Twitter to conquer it to set free Twitter Jail. 

I mean, supposedly.  I havn't seen The One True President back yet.  That will be some *censored*.  I can't wait for people to get upset at other people repeating what L'Orange has to say, with no filter between his genius brain and the publik. 

The only thing I have seen is plenty of people throwing racial epithets around in order to someone test the waters of their newfound freedom.  Very mature.  I've come to the conclusion that freedom is overrated and is bad for people.  The only thing worse is the lack of it. 

As prophesied, the woke are *censored*ting the bed.  It's the pre-matureness of the *censored*ting that riles my sensibilities.  It's a bit early.  Chrissie Watkins hasn't even taken her clothes off and jumped into the water yet.  When a train wreck is coming and inevitable, the responsible thing to do is savor it. 

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »

The only thing I have seen is plenty of people throwing racial epithets around in order to someone test the waters of their newfound freedom.  Very mature.  I've come to the conclusion that freedom is overrated and is bad for people.  The only thing worse is the lack of it.

My observation is that most people throw around the word Freedom without considering what they really mean by it.
I have little hope for people, it seems the smart phone has made everyone stupid.

Forgive us our failures as we forgive those that have failed us.  I'm trying

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2022, 01:32:57 PM »
Elon is going to call for the Council of Elon.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/elon-musk-won-t-reinstate-204631012.html

There they will decided the fate of the One  Ring.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »
Is there any wagering on his selections?

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2022, 03:50:44 PM »
Well I think Aragorn and Boromir are shoe ins, but not sure about the elves.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2022, 05:22:30 PM »
Is there any wagering on his selections?

Babylon Bee 1:3
L’Orange 2:1
Jones 4:1
MTG 3:1

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2022, 08:34:26 AM »
Will the new knights of the round table need to ban Elon himself to save the realm.
Elon Musk, who has more than 100 million followers, had owned Twitter for less than three full days when he shared a post containing misinformation — then hours later deleted it.
On Sunday, he posted a response to Hillary Clinton that “there is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story” behind the attack on Paul Pelosi in San Francisco, linking to an opinion article in the Santa Monica Observer, a site described by fact-checkers as a low-credibility source favoring the extreme right.
The article claimed without evidence that Pelosi was drunk at the time of the assault and “in a dispute with a male prostitute.” The article, which was amplified by several right-wing figures, cited no sources and attributes its contents to IMHO — internet shorthand for “in my humble opinion.”

Apologies for changing the fantasy/myth setting.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2022, 02:56:15 PM »
The theory has some things lending it credence. Security cameras evidently offline for some reason. The window was broken out by all appearances rather than in, and a number of other minor apparent discrepancies from what was known last I bothered with that news cycle.

I'm not thinking its a prostitution case though. It will be interesting to see what makes its way into the public light as the investigation proceeds. Getting potential shades of Jussie Smollett here.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2022, 10:22:23 PM »
Smollett didn't have a fractured skull, and his unnamed assailants didn't have a backstory a mile long and family members confirming it. I can't imagine what your sources are but it sounds like you've really gone through the looking glass. Good luck on the other side of reality, Deamon. There have been many spurious reports, debunked pretty quickly, about withheld security footage but I can't find a single one that said they had been taken offline.

Capitol Police are conducting a full review of the incident at Pelosi’s home and its protective services division and sharing updates with lawmakers, according to a GOP aide. The department is considering any short- or long-term changes to protocol that need to be made.

The review will also include the Capitol Police’s command center, which was monitoring the security camera feed from Pelosi’s home, according to a person familiar.

Details about the attack are still emerging, but social media posts haven’t wasted time spreading unsourced and unfounded claims about what happened.

One Oct. 29 post said the Pelosis "are refusing to turn over surveillance video of their home fueling more speculation of homosexuality at the home." 

The Instagram post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram.)

The post appears to allude to baseless allegations about the incident that drew attention after they were shared on Twitter by the social media platform’s new owner, Elon Musk. (Musk later deleted his tweet.)

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2022, 12:10:52 PM »
There is a part of me that hopes Elon brings twitter down and makes it irrelevant.
I've never understood the attraction to twitter or why anyone would bother with it. But that's my bias.

Tom

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2022, 12:13:56 PM »
I actually enjoy and appreciate Twitter. But I don't follow any idiots.

NobleHunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
Twitter can be good if can you minimize your interaction with the algorithm and don't have a lot of followers. If you do have a lot of followers the trick seems to be to block early and block often and restrict the ways random people can interact with you.

I would like a replacement for Twitter but I have no idea what it would be.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2022, 03:15:25 PM »
Twitter is good when watching supporting events, kind of like being in the stands commiserating over a bad call. Local law enforcement trends to use their channel and also public works to keep residents informed. Following celebs? No thanks. Politics? Forget it. News? Seriously get some life coaching if you're using Twitter as your primary news source.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
I find it depressing watching this trainwreck.  Watching an individual who was likely the MOST popular face of business, ingenuity, immigration, and the future in America, piss it all away, because they bought into their own hype. 

Whatever Musk's personality problems, up til a week ago, he was an extremely successful business leader at the cutting edge of technology in the world.  With the capability to revolutionize industries and change the world and the future of the human race.  Then, for whatever mental illness reasons, he acted like he was going to buy Twitter.  Then backed out.  Then was forced to buy it.  Then made himself the chief whipping boy of the universe. 

It was bad enough when he started fronting for Pooter and was complaining about Covid restrictions.  Then decided respond to HRHHRC with an insane article from an insane rag in southern cali.  All that was just bad.  But the trajectory is not slowing.  It's speeding up. 

The only thing I can add is that the whole episode is also showing just who is totally incapable of maintaining any level of trust when it comes to objectivity.  Some people are really going nuts over the whole thing. 

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2022, 09:23:52 AM »
Fwiw I take journalist statements about what Musk said or did with a grain of salt. It's quite easy to bury someone's reputation when the public doesn't actually have access to that person. Not saying he doesn't have the problems you suggest, Grant, but let's say it requires taking what you read for granted.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
Following celebs? No thanks. Politics? Forget it. News? Seriously get some life coaching if you're using Twitter as your primary news source.

None of those things are the problem with Twitter.  The problem is the elevation of the masses to interact with each other over politics, celebs, news, and life coaching, creating a hellish compilation of a battle royale and an orgy of insanity baked with anonymity and fueled by 280 characters at a time.  Even before Twitter, the GIFTheory was adequate to explain a great deal of insanity occurring on forums.  But at least those restricted the interaction to the literate.  Proving that you don't have to be wise to be able to write.  But Twitter brought everyone together and leveled the playing field even more.  Now you can't even get bluechecks to behave themselves.  Throw in a POTUS with a special gift for BS and instigation using it as their personal pipeline to We The Peepel (TM).  Twitter is exactly what hell would look like.  But it's because suddenly everyone was invited to the town square. 

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
Fwiw I take journalist statements about what Musk said or did with a grain of salt. It's quite easy to bury someone's reputation when the public doesn't actually have access to that person. Not saying he doesn't have the problems you suggest, Grant, but let's say it requires taking what you read for granted.

I'm not reading press releases, Fenring.  I'm reading the *censored* the brilliant moron writes HISSELF and posts on Twitter.  I'm getting the skinny straight from the savior's mouth and every time I just want to cover my face and say "Oh no,  why don't you just shuttup?  Do you see any other CEOs acting the way you do and interacting with the public on social media the way you do?  Does Mark Cuban or Tony Bruno do this *censored*?  No.  What makes you think that you are a business relations rep?". 

Some people JUST WON'T SHUT UP.  It seems to be a modern problem but maybe it's just because people didn't have the access they used to.   

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2022, 12:34:07 PM »
But Twitter brought everyone together and leveled the playing field even more.

Did it? Is it a level playing field? Weather its the algorithm and or human phycology the rocks are pushed to the surface demanding all the attention. 
We have handed over our decrement to the 'smart phone'. A 'phone' used more for texting, liking and disliking of either or binary thinking then talking. And we mistake that for communication.

if it was a level playing field we would hear all voices but instead we filter out the few and 'determine' the few speaks for everyone.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2022, 01:06:27 PM »

Did it? Is it a level playing field? Weather its the algorithm and or human phycology the rocks are pushed to the surface demanding all the attention. 
We have handed over our decrement to the 'smart phone'. A 'phone' used more for texting, liking and disliking of either or binary thinking then talking. And we mistake that for communication.

if it was a level playing field we would hear all voices but instead we filter out the few and 'determine' the few speaks for everyone.

Reading comprehension.  I said it "leveled the playing field even more".  Not that it made it level, but that it moved it in the leveled direction.  IE, before Twitter it was difficult for Joe or Suzy Pleb to write a 140 word piece of anything and have thousands if not millions of people see it.  That was once a privilege of the press and then radio and then television.  Now everybody's got it. Yay.  Power to the Peebels. 

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »
Problem is most  Joe's or Suzy Pleb's aren't worth listening to and they still get to be influencers.
Of course they always do thier research.... I read a article on it so yeah I'm a expert on that :)

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »
Problem is most  Joe's or Suzy Pleb's aren't worth listening to and they still get to be influencers.
Of course they always do thier research.... I read a article on it so yeah I'm a expert on that :)

Internal Facebook research has shown that "outrageous" emotional claims/positions get the most clicks/views. Love/hate appeal to emotion gets the clicks/followers. So the algorithm designed to keep you engaged on their site promotes them. So the people who put out measured reasoned boring wonky policy posts are largely ignored. People throwing emotional firebombs get the clicks. Its the digital tragedy of the commons.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2022, 01:43:11 PM »
So in that sense not a level playing field. I'm not sure how much is the algorithms or psychology and or our psychology being manipulated by the algorithms.
The algorithms are about making money and the market god's will be served. So the solution points to psychology, learning at a individual level  how to better engage with this new information technology.  If we all stopped playing by the the current rules the market god's will take notice.

My observations is that my generation isn't up to the task but maybe the younger ones will do better. Funny I hear quite a few arguments that older people arnt engaging with the social media platforms but in my circle of acquaintances that is not true especially with Facebook and twitter. Will see what happens to tiktok.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 01:47:19 PM by rightleft22 »

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2022, 01:47:32 PM »
Internal Facebook research has shown that "outrageous" emotional claims/positions get the most clicks/views. Love/hate appeal to emotion gets the clicks/followers. So the algorithm designed to keep you engaged on their site promotes them. So the people who put out measured reasoned boring wonky policy posts are largely ignored. People throwing emotional firebombs get the clicks. Its the digital tragedy of the commons.

How is this different than cable news or politicians? 

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2022, 02:10:57 PM »

How is this different than cable news or politicians?

The 24 hour news cycles have the same commercial/psychological factors. News papers the the old school evening news used to be somewhat insulated from this because they were run by "elites" who thought better of such tactics.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2022, 02:58:14 PM »
Old enough to remember the days when you engaged with the news for 30 or 60 min a day.
I'm not sure what we mean when we use words like Elites anymore. Being a elite athletes who have done their 10000 hours are still apricated but anyone who studies a  subject or career for 10000 hours are smuck's.

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2022, 07:41:59 AM »
Such a great investment.  It might go bankrupt just months after he bought it.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/musk-says-twitter-could-face-bankruptcy-next-year-report-221322212.html

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2022, 07:57:19 AM »
Such a great investment.  It might go bankrupt just months after he bought it.

I'm still on the fence on whether Twitter going down would be a good thing or not.  It probably would be. 

I don't think Musk is doing all this on purpose.  I think it more likely that his personality problems cost him $40 billion this time.  But he may still be doing Gawd's work.  Perhaps he is His Divine Instrument.  Stranger things have happened.  If he can work through Tom Seaver and Herb Brooks, I don't see why he couldn't work through Elon Musk. 

NobleHunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2022, 10:39:57 AM »
If it's going to fail better than it fail quickly than slowly. A slow decline means Twitter would shed users and reputation but a quick drop off the cliff and the core "product" might still be able to be salvaged by creditors. I like the space that is Twitter and would prefer it continue to exist and that can't happen if Musk slowly drives it into the ground over the next few years.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2022, 10:56:27 AM »
that can't happen if Musk slowly drives it into the ground over the next few years.

He's on pace to take one or two months to crater it. 

I hope Musk learns from this, the correct lessons.  Pretty expensive lesson. 

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2022, 12:19:09 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63648505

In an email to staff, the social media firm's new owner said workers should agree to the pledge if they wanted to stay.
Those who do not sign up by Thursday will be given three months' severance pay, Mr Musk said.

Work long hours, in office, or three months severance.... I suspect many a developer will jump at that.

No idea what's going on in Musk head.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
California requires 3 months severance if you lay off/fire more than a certain percentage of the workforce.  So he doesn't have a choice about the severance, but this will let him find the folks who are most desperate to stay.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2022, 04:52:22 PM »
Working in the industry I have no doubt that most of the developers have had their resumes out looking to jump ship long ago.
I would have waited for the "natural selection" to occur before asking for people to make a pledge to the company to work long hours etc... which I wonder could be binding in anyway unless its connected to pay.

Beats me. Having been involved in similar scenarios, it doesn't take much for developers to jump ship.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
“I know of six critical systems (like ‘serving tweets’ levels of critical) which no longer have any engineers,” a former employee said. “There is no longer even a skeleton crew manning the system. It will continue to coast until it runs into something, and then it will stop.”

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2022, 02:40:56 PM »
Twitter has told employees that the company's office buildings will be temporarily closed, with immediate effect.
The announcement comes amid reports that large numbers of staff were quitting after new owner Elon Musk called on them to sign up for "long hours at high intensity" or leave.

Did not see that coming :o and I'm a idiot 

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
Twitter has told employees that the company's office buildings will be temporarily closed, with immediate effect.
The announcement comes amid reports that large numbers of staff were quitting after new owner Elon Musk called on them to sign up for "long hours at high intensity" or leave.

Did not see that coming :o and I'm a idiot

Musk may set a speed record in losing 44 billion dollars. I never thought Truth Social would outlast Twitter.  :o

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »
Well Musk just let Trump back on Twitter. 

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2022, 11:22:01 PM »
There is some kind of chance that despite incredible turmoil and disturbance that Twitter might move forward, greatly diminished but perhaps with the capacity to grow back on more solid ground. I'm not saying this because I think Musk is The Man For The Job, but rather because I did think a change was in order and perhaps it could possibly happen now. There is obviously a public desire - or perhaps need - for there to be a platform like Twitter, a public square to replace people speaking out their thoughts on the street. And I agree with Musk on the particular point that it's wrong to the point of being dangerous for this public square to have its rules dictated by ideologues focused on championing one side of a culture war. And this isn't right-wing hand-wringing, it comes right from the mouths of (probably now former) Twitter execs who have said that their unspoken goal was to champion a public cause rather than to be profitable. That is not good. It will also not be good if Musk thought that by seizing Twitter he could swing it the opposite way and use it as an uber-libertarian plutocrat mouthpiece. I hope he ends up being pressured to keep it the way he claimed he wanted it, which is fairly neutral and having no skin in the game of culture wars. I don't really believe what he'd been saying about that, but ideally he'll have to stick to what he claimed versus what he would probably like. Then Twitter could be better than it was before. And I also agree with him that it could use a lot more functionality than it's had. Up until now using Twitter has been really user-unfriendly IMO, almost a joke technologically speaking. But we really do need something like a public utility that does what Twitter does. A very optimistic idea would be that Musk wants it to eventually shift into being exactly that. Somehow I think he just wants to get richer, but maybe it will work out for the best regardless.

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
But even Musk draws the line at Alex Jones.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2022, 11:24:28 AM »
As prophesied, Libertarian Messiah is managing to trigger everyone easily by acting stupid. 

His latest trap was to post a picture of his "bedside table", complete with four empty cans of Caffeine Free Diet Coke and two toy guns.  Cue the anti-gun nuts who through a fit about him having guns out.  Which cued the pro-gun nuts who supported having loaded guns next to the table as normal behavior and "American as F**k". 

The stupid.  It burns, precious.  It burns. 

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2022, 04:47:27 PM »
Well Musk just let Trump back on Twitter.

And nothing happened. Absolutely nothing.

Well, one thing has happened. In just a few weeks, Musk largely eliminated the massive trafficking of child pornography that had been going on at twitter for years. Democrats are super upset about this.

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2022, 05:19:33 PM »
Well Trump does have a contract with Truth Social that he will post there first, and a monetary interest in the company surviving. Which is unlikely if Trump goes back to Twitter.

Can you give any evidence for kiddie porn being a massive p art of Twitter? Or that Musk has shut it down?

NobleHunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2022, 05:27:32 PM »
Probably that nothing showed up when Musk asked people to commit a felony by sending him CSEM.