Author Topic: GOP convention  (Read 7843 times)

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
GOP convention
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »
Probably should have started this on Monday.  Just commenting on last night, Trump's speech was given a positive rating by 56% of people polled right after.  Who are these people?!?  Also, it was clear that not only Trump but at least half of the men in the convention center would like to "date" his daughter.

All the smart people on the conservative side seem to have left the room, leaving only people who feel energized by Trump's particular brand of exclusionary and hateful rhetoric.  Did Laura Ingraham really give a nazi salute?  Not sure, but Reince Priebus gave a huge shout-out to the man (William Knudsen) who led GM in the 1930's when GM was a key industrial force behind Hitler's military efforts.

What the hell is going on?

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: GOP convention
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:36:56 AM »
All the smart people on the conservative side seem to have left the room, leaving only people who feel energized by Trump's particular brand of exclusionary and hateful rhetoric. 

Or who are bored with the ubiquitous generic brand of exclusionary and hateful rhetoric --
Did Laura Ingraham really give a nazi salute?  Not sure, but Reince Priebus gave a huge shout-out to the man (William Knudsen) who led GM in the 1930's when GM was a key industrial force behind Hitler's military efforts.

Slate is the only source I'm googling up that tells that story about Knudsen.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Knudsen describes him as a wartime general as well as a car dude.

Knudsen was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal in 1944 and again in 1945 for his service in the Army during World War II. He also received the American Campaign Medal, and World War Two Victory Medal for his wartime service.

He was also appointed a Knight of the Order of the Dannebrog by the nation of Denmark in 1930 and was promoted Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog in 1946

If the Slate story is true, it seems an oddly kept secret.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:49:05 AM by Pete at Home »

Ronald Lambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
I favored Ted Cruz all the way. There was nothing wrong with his speech Wednesday night--he just did not explicitly endorse Donald Trump, which displeased the Trump supporters. We'll see what happens in the future, whether Cruz has positioned himself to run for president in the future, or whether he has alienated enough Texas voters that he may not be re-elected to the U.S. Senate.

For a long time, I have been warning against Trump, because he has been a lifelong liberal Democrat, and has supported the Clintons in the past. However, I was impressed by the excellence of his kids, who spoke for him at the convention--especially Donald Trump Jr. He clearly is a real conservative, so if Trump goes back on the promises and positions he has taken during the primary campaign, he would have to face his 33-year old son.

At least, Trump is a better alternative than the career scofflaw, Hillary Clinton, who truly belongs in prison, not in the White House. Trump may have falsely characterized Cruz as a liar, but Hillary is a real liar--to the extent that, as many have said, if her mouth is open, she's lying! What Hillary would do to the Supreme Court if she were elected is too terrible to contemplate. She would pick more people for the Supreme Court who disregard the U.S. Constitution and legislate from the bench. The horrifically unsuccessful and unwise policies that govern foreign policy now, would only be continued.

So, despite my reservations about Trump, I will have to vote for him, since not to do so would be to help elect a serial felon, and total dunce, Hillary.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
 "Trump may have falsely characterized Cruz as a liar, but Hillary is a real liar"

??? You can forgive one liar  or curtain kind of liars by qualify what a "real lie" is.
Your lying to yourself wake up

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »
The Atlantic magazine has a good article about the different "languages" that Republicans and Democrats speak.  It's not that they use different words for the same things, but as Ron demonstrates, that they are divided by a common language where the same words don't mean the same thing:
At least, Trump is a better alternative than the career scofflaw, Hillary Clinton, who truly belongs in prison, not in the White House. Trump may have falsely characterized Cruz as a liar, but Hillary is a real liar--to the extent that, as many have said, if her mouth is open, she's lying!
So let me be specific so there is no way to misinterpret the truth: Trump is an empty hat who lies like a rug, couldn't find his own ass if you gave him a fresh roll of toilet paper and a three day head start, can't throw the truth to first base, changes his mind with the weather and will hump the nearest lamppost like a dog if it will throw either light or shade on him because any and all attention is good.  I'm sure Ron would attest that we can all at least agree with the truth of those characterizations.  Hillary, OTOH, has been accused of every deficiency a human can suffer from, even of not being a real Christian like Trump, which is an amazingly delusional accusation for a self-respecting Christian to make.

This election will be fought with half truth missiles, but I haven't heard anybody defend Trump on his actual record of accomplishments.   Perhaps Ron can explain to us what he has done that gives him hope.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
can't throw the truth to first base, changes his mind with the weather and will hump the nearest lamppost like a dog if it will throw either light or shade on him because any and all attention is good.

We already survived 8 years of Bill Clinton.

I haven't heard anybody defend Trump on his actual record of accomplishments.

Did you watch last night's RNC?

I haven't heard anyone defend Hillary based on her actual record of accomplishments.  I've heard about her election wins and experience and positions she's held, but her list of actual achievements in those position made up 90% of the "lock her up" speech.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:37:02 PM by Pete at Home »

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
Here's a question to mull over.

In Trump's acceptance speech last night, he told us of the many things he intends to accomplish while President.

Can anyone think of a better way to accomplish those objectives than the way Trump said he would?  Is there room for improvement in his plans? :)

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »
Here's a question to mull over.

In Trump's acceptance speech last night, he told us of the many things he intends to accomplish while President.

Can anyone think of a better way to accomplish those objectives than the way Trump said he would?  Is there room for improvement in his plans? :)

Yes.  He needs to understand that diplomacy isn't like modern cannibal corporatism.  You actually do get points for honoring your agreements, and other countries and individuals deal with us according to the honor that we've demonstrated.  He should be talking about exiting bad deals without violating them, not just walking out like some folks do on their spouses.  Yes it's good that he wants to negotiate on behalf of Americans as opposed to what Clinton, bush and Obama have done, but throwing our honor in the trash ultimately does not serve Americans either.

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
Was that the actual plan that he discussed in the speech last night, Pete?  Or are you extrapolating that from he actions and remarks?

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
Was that the actual plan that he discussed in the speech last night, Pete? 

No.  If it was there, I missed it.  To the best of my ability and recollection I'm answering your question about what was wrong with Trump's plan.

Or are you extrapolating that from he actions and remarks?

It's my counterargument against some of his actions and remarks.

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 07:41:56 PM »
Well, I was specifically asking about the plans he discussed in his speech (which was really my point :) )...

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
Can anyone think of a better way to accomplish those objectives than the way Trump said he would?

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
"...than the way Trump said he would?"

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »
"...than the way Trump said he would?"

That's the question I was answering.  I do not understand your objection.  (And no, I'm not one of those Obtuse holes that says "I don't understand" for rhetorical reasons.  If I say I don't understand, then I don't fracking understand.)

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
I was specifically looking for comments on the plans Trump discussed in his acceptance speech.  You know, the one that was extraordinarily long.  Considering the details of those plans, is there any way to improve upon them?  After all, there a dozen-dozen ways to accomplish a goal, most of them that have major drawbacks.  So, considering his actual plans as he outlined them in his speech, is there any better way to accomplish the same goals?

I believe that mulling over this question will reveal a major weakness in Trump and his campaign.