Author Topic: What is going on in Syria?  (Read 1495 times)

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
What is going on in Syria?
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »
I've just read that the U.S. and Turkey in coalition have officially set up a no-fly zone within Syria's borders. This isn't being reported on by MSM as far as I can tell, but I'm sure their stories will come out after they've been 'briefed' by the White House. We'll have to wait and see confirmation of this, but I'm very very concerned. One analyst here believes that establishing a no-fly zone in a foreign nation in which one isn't welcome is equivalent to a declaration of war, and I'm not sure he's wrong about that. It is literally an invasion.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/08/24/481469/US-threat-Syria-declaration-of-war

I'm equally concerned that this is being done with Turkey, which has been a bad actor lately and whose actual dedication to fighting ISIS is around nil as far as I can tell. They, too, were no doubt hoping ISIS would actually win and conquer Syria. With the current threat being to shoot down Syrian OR Russian places flying over the no-fly zone I'm sorry to say it looks like Obama has joined up with the WWIII party after all :(

I hope I'm wrong and this isn't what it sounds like. On it's face I can imagine how this happened. The U.S. sent in special forces to fight against Assad, they were being met with resistance by both Assad and Putin, and the U.S. could then pretend that their forces had been minding their own business all along and were unjustly targeted in conjunction with attacks against terrorists over there, which then leads to escalation over who's targeting whom. This is why "boots on the ground" was such a big deal in the first place...

JoshCrow

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on in Syria?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »
It's not a no-fly zone. An isolated incident where jets were contested due to assets on the ground does not a no-fly zone make.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:37:38 PM by JoshCrow »

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:21:25 PM »
It's not a no-fly zone. An isolated incident where jets were contested due to assets on the ground does not a no-fly zone make.

I hope you're right. I keep and eye out for news on this.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
I've heard a bit of clarification on this, and apparently what's happening isn't a strict no-fly zone, but rather a zone where they've instructed Russian and Syrian planes not to fly. The distinction seems to be in how no-fly zones are patrolled and defended, and this area is less fortified than that. I wonder, though, whether the method of implementation (highly secured with aerial patrols, versus not as secured and maybe only scrambling to defend) ought to change how we call what is still effectively a territory within a foreign country's borders occupied and defended by American troops. Or is the terminology becoming slippery again? This isn't a no-fly zone, but it's that place where they aren't allowed to fly? Kind of like how there are no wars anymore, just operations?