Author Topic: The Fourth Debate  (Read 2369 times)

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
The Fourth Debate
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:20:39 AM »
I'm not talking about Hillary and Donald standing on a stage together battling for the heart and soul of the TV audience, and not about SNL's surrogate debates between them.  The Fourth Debate is supposed to be happening in our homes and coffee shops and where we work, as we figure out what we think of the two candidates in this mess and what we hope and fear will happen after election day.  Those conversations are just as poisoned as any of the debates between the candidates themselves or the surrogate representatives and corporate media advocates.

Then we go vote on November 8 and then we'll have the Fifth Debate where we talk about what comes next.  Will Clinton get some help from the new Congress or even worse obstructionism than Obama has suffered?  If the Republicans hold onto the House, will Paul Ryan be the next Speaker?  If not him, who?  Will they try to impeach Hillary for the emails?  Will the alt-right rise up in insurrection or launch terrorist attacks?  Will anybody be held to account for the lies they told during the campaign (on either side)?  Will Russia pay for their interference?

Your thoughts?

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Fourth Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
I'll continue to talk about the need to erode the hold the two major parties have on our system of government. I can't imagine there is anything new to debate. Those who haven't yet split with the Donald are either there to defeat Hillary at any cost, or they are fanatics who could never be convinced in any other direction. Indeed, Donald's debate performances seem entirely geared to solidify existing support, and not to bring anyone else out of the undecided column.

Hillary people are more complex. The "Fourth Debate" might well be limited to people convincing themselves to cast the vote for Hillary versus staying home or leaving the Presidential section blank, or voting for Jill Stein.

What we ought to be doing is working on our choices for lower level politicians so the next crops of candidates are better. I just got my official registration card, so I have some Texans to research. We spend so much time babbling about the Presidency, where our choices for state and local government are far more impactful.