Author Topic: Idaho has its round with Progressive protests@town hall mettings.  (Read 2124 times)

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
http://kboi2.com/news/local/hundreds-turn-out-to-rep-raul-labradors-town-hall

Progressive activists who say they're concerned about Trump's policies had lined up outside the venue for several hours before it began. Audience members yelled, "Do your job," and waved signs criticizing the congressman's voting history. Shouting between attendees sometimes drowned out Labrador's responses.

Of course, he's having another meeting in Nampa next week, then he has another one tentatively set for somewhere in Northern Idaho. So he my make the news again.

Although I have to say, the crowd obviously showed their colors in respect to most of Idaho at large on one clip shown on the other side of the state.

"You seem to believe that government should do everything for you. I don't."

Which drew red cards from all but 3 of the activists, and jeers/boo's from most of the audience.

I do not believe that crowd represents Idaho in general, and I know it sure as h--- doesn't represent the 2nd District where I live.

Further, at least on that one sound bite(which I'm not going to try to track down on KBOI), I don't think that crowd is particularly representative of most of America in general, including many, if not most, Democratic voters.

Sadly my local station isn't providing clips online to link to.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Idaho has its round with Progressive protests@town hall mettings.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:50 PM »
Oh, missed this one in the KBOI write-up:

Trump and other congressmen have made multiple accusations that congressional town halls being held across the United States are being filled by paid protesters.

At one point Wednesday night, an audience member said he wasn't a paid protester, to which Labrador replied it didn't matter because it was the audience's right to be there.

He wins the class act award. That crowd seemed to largely be an angry mob that wanted to go on a witch hunt in pursuit of burning Donald Trump at the stake, and to hell with the rule of law for making it happen.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »
These people definitely don't represent the majority of people in your district but even 3/10 people living there have a progressive worldview is more than enough to swamp a town hall with sufficient turnout.

I don't support their behavior though, I find have a personal theory that large groups of angry people (or large groups protesting) are inclined to act as a group much more like the biggest idiots/jerks in the group instead of the most informed and reasoned people in the group.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
These people definitely don't represent the majority of people in your district but even 3/10 people living there have a progressive worldview is more than enough to swamp a town hall with sufficient turnout.

Olinsky in a nutshell. They may not be truly representative of the district as a whole, but because they're the ones "making the noise" they're the ones that get the attention. Too bad for those activists that after 8 years of Obama, Republicans are aware of that game, and know full well that even the Tea Party did comparable things to the Dems in more than a few districts. (Only they managed to unseat more than a few, where it turned out, the Tea Party was more representative of the district than the Democrats wanted to believe)

I don't support their behavior though, I find have a personal theory that large groups of angry people (or large groups protesting) are inclined to act as a group much more like the biggest idiots/jerks in the group instead of the most informed and reasoned people in the group.

Well, based on the kind of press they obtained locally, their best tack is not try it again, local press is not sympathetic, and is going to generate a narrative that will make them look like an enemy people in the district need to rally against, rather than the other way around. That they're starting out with a position that isn't close to mainstream for the area/district to start with just makes things even worse for them from there.

Labrador was a bad choice anyway, he's already said he isn't running for the US Congress again in 2018, so good luck have fun with making him think he won't get re-elected if he doesn't change his stance.

..Of course, he is considering a Gubernatorial run currently, but once again, in that respect, his current district(1st Congressional) is the "ultra-liberal" district in Idaho, at least it was the last district in the state to send a Democrat to congress (for a single term in office) since Bill Clinton became President...