Author Topic: World Community Grid  (Read 3550 times)

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
World Community Grid
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:33:21 AM »
So I've been doing this World Community Grid for about fifteen years now, off and on, and I thought it might be something some of the Ornery crowd would be into and I should give it a pitch. It's like a charity but instead of money you donate your computing power. I think they worked on the Human Genome Project and that distributed computing helped get it done much more quickly than had been initially anticipated. Now they're working on cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and a bunch of other stuff.

It doesn't seem to use much bandwidth but it does use just about all of the processing power available so I pretty much always turn it off if I'm doing anything more than browsing the internet or playing chess or sudoku, but since I leave my computer on all night and day anyway I just let it run when I'm not using it. Well, my pitch isn't going to be all the persuasive here. I'm just going to point to the website and let y'all decide for yourselves. If you work at an office you might send it up the flagpole there and see if anyone salutes especially for offices where they just leave the computers on all night anyway, but for this program even if they don't maybe they will.

What got me started is I was in speech class in college and had to do a persuasive speech. I was looking around for something to do it on and came across an article on distributed computing and it mentioned the World Community Grid so I did some more research and made that my topic. It was a pretty good speech if I do say so myself, but the subject made it really easy so even if you don't end up doing it if you know any students who have to write a persuasive speech paper this is a good subject to recommend.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: World Community Grid
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »
Just as a sidebar, have you read the Hyperion series? It outlines how a massive grid of computing power is used to power an AI community. Maybe this is how Skynet gets enough traction to take over.

Just wanted to throw that out there!

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »
I'll check it out, thanks. I finished the audio book someone on here recommended earlier, perhaps it was LetterRip, called Anathem. I can appreciate the power of having people recommend or "like" things on social media. Not only in this case did I get to listen to a great audio book that I never would have heard of otherwise, but I feel like a connection is made between myself and the person who recommended it, kind of like the connection my brother and I share even more strongly having both read so many of the same books out of my father's science fiction and fantasy library.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
A similar concept is the SETI project, though WGC seems to be focused on more altruistic (and more realistic) projects.

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
I think I seconded someone elses recommendation of Anathem (just reread it a week or so ago because of the thread actually).  I'm actually more of a fan of Diamond Age (I really want to create or someone to create 'A Young Ladies Illustrated Primer'), Cryptonomicon, and his recent work SevenEyes (though it bugged me that far too many people had to act as complete idiots and in unrealistic ways for the plot to work out as it did..).

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
I pretty much always turn it off if I'm doing anything more than ... playing chess.

Where do you play?  Grumblesaurus on lichess.org here. Also JoshuaD84 on chess.com, but I like lichess a lot better.  What are you rated?

<Shamelessly derails thread>

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
Sadly I'm just playing the computer nowadays, since they took yahoo chess offline several years ago. I really liked the yahoo games back when they had it including hearts and pinochle.

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »
http://www.lichess.org is free and really well made. If you ever decide to join, look me up. :)

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
Thanks! I have been hoping for a place to play for a while now. I just tried it and played anonymously and it was as fun as yahoo used to be. I like the after analysis options and looking up games for which somebody else played the same moves and seeing how they handled it. I prefer the quick games over the internet so people can't just leave you there. Is there a way to easily save your game moves as in a one click way to do it?

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »
Games you've played previously? If you have an account, they keep your history for you: https://en.lichess.org/@/Grumblesaurus

I'm not sure if there is an easy way to export, but I imagine it's buried in there somewhere. This site seems to be guided by a really nice philosophy regarding user experience.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
I'll check it out, thanks. I finished the audio book someone on here recommended earlier, perhaps it was LetterRip, called Anathem. I can appreciate the power of having people recommend or "like" things on social media. Not only in this case did I get to listen to a great audio book that I never would have heard of otherwise, but I feel like a connection is made between myself and the person who recommended it, kind of like the connection my brother and I share even more strongly having both read so many of the same books out of my father's science fiction and fantasy library.
Several times since the election I've thought to myself I slipped onto the wrong narrative track or cursed Fraa Jad.  :P