Author Topic: Who is your favorite Candidate for the Republican Nomination?  (Read 80512 times)

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Who is your favorite Candidate for the Republican Nomination?
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »
No, it doesn't answer my question.  You are not a head of state to my knowledge, so AFAIK no one would be harmed if you disclosed a position.

I did disclose a position. My position is that the question is designed to make Russia look bad by suggesting they have to be stopped and asking what the line is. I reject this proposition and therefore the question is answered, just not the way you wanted.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
I did disclose a position. My position is that the question is designed to make Russia look bad by suggesting they have to be stopped and asking what the line is

I meant a position on Russia. I really do not care what your position about my motives is. If I want to be psychoanalyzed, I will go to a shrink. You disappoint me.

I hope you are just in a bad mood, and that you reengage when you read my question intelligently.

scifibum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2016, 02:35:24 PM »
LOL.  Someday, Pete, maybe you'll stop insulting people in the hopes that they'll make it easier for you to win arguments.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »
I'm not trying to win an argument.  Fenring had a valid point, and I was interested in how far he extends it.  In response to my genuine question of interest, he accused me of bad faith.  I don't think that telling him that he's misunderstood me and that I genuinely want to understand his position, constitutes "insulting" him.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »
Fenring had a valid point, and I was interested in how far he extends it.  In response to my genuine question of interest, he accused me of bad faith.

I accused you of no such thing. I said the question was designed to make Russia look bad, but I didn't say that you designed the question. Indeed, I believe you are merely echoing a point that has been fed by media expressly for this purpose, and therefore while I would suggest those who propagated it initially acted in bad faith, in your case I would only suppose that you've been exposed to repeated instances of the same bad information and believed it.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
OK.  I can understand why you might think that.

What I meant, restating to avoid that misunderstanding, is ... what hypothetical events would cause you to re-evaluate your position?

Or

Are there any circumstances under which you think that we should be ready to risk conventional warfare with a nuclear superpower?

I don't mean a line in the sand where you openly challenge the opponent to cross it.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
Are there any circumstances under which you think that we should be ready to risk conventional warfare with a nuclear superpower?

I doubt many people have a clear answer to this. I sure don't. I bet the Joint Chiefs each have their opinion on the subject and no doubt countless contingency plans are on the books for such a scenario. But as a matter of policy there is no clear way to make this determination; hence the Cold War.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »
I expect there are plenty.  It depends on how rational and how big a factor self preservation factors into their government.  I think we could go so far as to have our planes supporting combat for another country's army in that country against Russian targets and not have the fact they are a nuclear power factor in.  Now the same can't be said for say, N. Korea where we think they may use them.

M.A.D. stopped everyone from thinking they could WIN.  I don't believe it makes everyone afraid to pursue their goals which stop short of threatening the existence of the other world power.  That said, I don't THINK Russia would attack an ally we are bound to defend.  Or if they did, they would back off as soon as we moved to do so with conventional forces.  A game of chicken maybe.  Now if it's a place where we have the desire to stop them but not the obligation to... things can get a lot messier.  I still don't think that warrants proclaiming WWIII could be just 1 bomb or tank shell away.

The "line" if it exists, are our borders and nowhere else when it comes to Russia.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
All of our borders? Or is losing Alaska OK?

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
I suppose it it was strategically timed to coincide with something impressive by Palin it could be on the table... but typically, even Alaska.  :)

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »

I doubt many people have a clear answer to this. I sure don't. I bet the Joint Chiefs each have their opinion on the subject and no doubt countless contingency plans are on the books for such a scenario. But as a matter of policy there is no clear way to make this determination; hence the Cold War.

If we have no intent to do anything short of inconveniencing Putin's little green men as they stomp over the Baltics, then we should probably let them know, so they don't get themselves killed while they think we have their back.

MAD and the Cold War only worked because we convinced the Russians we were willing to engage.  Do you disagree?  If not, then what resistance could we offer to at least pretend like we're willing to fight?

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2016, 12:52:40 AM »
Putin's little green men as they stomp over the Baltics

You are again arguing a point based on a premise I've already rejected as spurious. If you believe it that's fine, but obviously I can't respond to a point based on a premise I think it illusory.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
Putin's little green men as they stomp over the Baltics

You are again arguing a point based on a premise I've already rejected as spurious. If you believe it that's fine, but obviously I can't respond to a point based on a premise I think it illusory.
I did not realize they you rejected that specifically.

So you reject that we should even think about how to deter Russia from doing in the Baltic's what they did in Ukraine?  I thought you recognized we were back to the cold war.  We didn't survive the cold war by trusting the Russians and failing to prepare for contingencies.

The noises Putin is making about the Baltics resembles those he made re ethnic Russians in Ukraine.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35456535

Interesting footnote that Russia is simulation-trying attacks on Stockholm, and probing Swedish defended to the point that more than half the country is wanting to join NATO.  What's that, preparation against imminent Swedish aggression?

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »
Didn't I just say a few posts back that I reject the notion that the Soviet Union is back? How did you conclude the opposite?

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »
When did I say you said the Soviet Union is back? 

You reference COLD WAR. and Putin has spoken publicly about wishing to reclaim USSR-like spheres of control.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »

I doubt many people have a clear answer to this. I sure don't. I bet the Joint Chiefs each have their opinion on the subject and no doubt countless contingency plans are on the books for such a scenario. But as a matter of policy there is no clear way to make this determination; hence the Cold War.[/I,]
Italics added.
Isn't that you saying we are in a cold war with Russia?

Not trying to trap you.  Must understand.

I DON'T ,have a firm idea on how to handle Russia and tend to like your reasoning on other topics.  You seem to have given it more thought than I have, so I wanted to pick your brain.  Sci-fi seems to think I have insulted you, and if I did, I apologize: it wasn't my intent.  I think you would know it if I insulted you, as my insults hit hard.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
I'm not insulted. Since the Soviet Union isn't literally back, when people speak of it being back they are merely referencing a Cold War mentality, on one side or the other. When I say the Joint Chiefs have contingency plans I mean by this that they must prepare for the event of Russia becoming aggressive, which isn't the same as saying that Russia is actually being aggressive or intends to go in that direction. I don't think Putin intends to invade anywhere, but he does intend to increase Russia's prominence in the Mid-East and EU economic sphere.

Greg Davidson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »
Christie looks like he would be the Republicans' best candidate to campaign as Vice President 

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2016, 04:22:28 AM »
I'm wondering what Senator Cruz offered him to launch that attack on Senator Rubio.

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2016, 05:26:33 AM »
In reading the post-GOP-debate coverage three of the candidates weren't mentioned, Fiorina, Gilmore and Carson.  Its only a slight exaggeration in Carson's case, as he was there but his biggest contributions were to miss his entrance and to complain about Cruz's dirty campaign trick, which Cruz (dishonestly) wriggled out of by blaming CNN.  Even The Blaze is on Cruz's case about that, partly because Cruz twisted information he got from the devil CNN, patriarch and scion of the liberal media.  They have a good line about Cruz, that the most unlikable candidate just became less likable.

The whittling continues, since with all the candidates having pretty consistent policy positions the only thing they can do to stand out is to lower everyone else's standing.  Winning by being the least worst person (not candidate) seems to be the main Republican campaign strategy this year.  What's unclear is whether it is worse to be attacked or ignored.  Bush wasn't diminished by the others, only by his lack of enough weight to draw attention and criticism to himself.

The winner, if it can be called that, was Kasich.  If Rubio stumbles because of the debate, Kasich will draw some of the interest and votes from him.  Like I said, they all want to gut the same programs and vilify the same ethnic and religious groups, so it's a personality contest to see who can promise to do those things while being more appealing than anybody else.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
Al's remarks about vilifying ethnic and religious groups should be remembered in this context: he argues that the first Amendment prohibits Congress from enacting immigration laws discriminating against ISIS'. religious supporters. And he declares that it's "unknowable" whether Hitler was a sincere, devout "Christian."

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
Al's remarks about vilifying ethnic and religious groups should be remembered in this context: he argues that the first Amendment prohibits Congress from enacting immigration laws discriminating against ISIS'. religious supporters. And he declares that it's "unknowable" whether Hitler was a sincere, devout "Christian."

There you go again.  Find where I said that bolded view.  You won't be able to, so start working on your apology while you're looking.  As for Hitler, show that I'm wrong by defining what a Christian is and why you know that Hitler was not, rather than choosing one set of his words over another.  I want to be clear (I've tried many times and failed, but I'll try yet again) that I don't care whether Hitler was or wasn't a Christian.  The horror of his policies and actions make him evil, no matter what you claim or he believed his beliefs to be.  I'm arguing with you about your absolute authority to make those kinds of judgments about others, which you frequently, flagrantly and often wrongly make about lots of people whom you choose to oppose.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Al,
On the trump immigration thread, I said trump was wrong, but that it would be constitutional and advisable to as far as possible, screen and prevent entry of anyone who believed that DHAESH is Allah's legitimate Califate. You and others said no, quite strongly, on the basis of religious discrimination. You said they could not be excluded for anything short of "action" (although I reckon you'd take intent to act.).  I argued that mere religious support for ISIS should suffice.  If they tell anyone that DHAESH is the Caliphate they are effectively recruiting for ISIS.   At least one jihadi was so proselytizing openly in the UK before going back and executing people on YouTube for DHAESH.

the constitution is not a suicide pact.  When an organized religion declares war on America, Congress can and should close the borders to all sect members.

You stated your disagreement repeatedly.  If you don't recognize the above as your assertion, then perhaps you were reading me through FOX lenses and telling yourself that you were arguing with Trump or some such.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
As part of the "and others", I will point out my objection was only that it was pointless.  I think they would just lie.  I also think that those who held no animosity towards us would be needlessly insulted.  I thought it was a bad idea, not that it was unconstitutional or illegal. 

Pyrtolin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2016, 10:41:49 AM »
Al,
On the trump immigration thread, I said trump was wrong, but that it would be constitutional and advisable to as far as possible, screen and prevent entry of anyone who believed that DHAESH is Allah's legitimate Califate. You and others said no, quite strongly, on the basis of religious discrimination.
No, you said that it was okay to discriminate based on religion because that would be the only way to filter out people who believed that, and others objecting saying that religious discrimination was not okay, however filtering based support for ISIS/Daesh was fine, because that's support for an antagonistic state a clear indicator of an intent to do harm without any regard to their religion at all.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
For those Doubting Thomases here who questioned my use of the term "World War III Party" (in reference to any candidate claiming they would take on Russia in Syria, set up a no-fly zone, or punch Russia in the nose), here's John Kerry to the rescue:

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/opposition-blame-syrian-bombing-kerry-tells-aid-workers-1808021537

Two Syrian aid workers said they approached Kerry at a donor conference drinks reception and told him that he had not done enough to protect Syrian civilians. He then said they should blame the opposition.

"He said that basically, it was the opposition that didn’t want to negotiate and didn’t want a ceasefire, and they walked away,” the second of the aid workers told MEE in a separate conversation and also on the basis of anonymity.

“‘What do you want me to do? Go to war with Russia? Is that what you want?’” the aid worker said Kerry told her.

Both aid workers said Kerry told them that he anticipated three months of bombing during which time “the opposition will be decimated”.

The article isn't great but the MSM isn't really reporting on this. Basically Kerry is saying exactly the same thing I've been saying here, which is that anyone claiming they would force Russia to stop flying planes in Syria or would otherwise oppose Russian exploits against rebels is saying little more than they'd go to war with Russia over a regime change policy in Syria. For those who still don't think war with Russia means WWIII necessarily, go ahead and take your chances and try it out :p

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
Have you forgotten the cold war?  We send in arms and little blue men to shoot down Soviet Russian planes. That's how we'be done it since the 1950s, neh?

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »
No, you said that it was okay to discriminate based on religion...
Or for those who could read, Pete said that it wasn't unconstitutional to discriminate based on religion in this context.

Pyrtolin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
No, you said that it was okay to discriminate based on religion...
Or for those who could read, Pete said that it wasn't unconstitutional to discriminate based on religion in this context.
Which it is. That does not contradict anything I said. The points taht are being discriminated on in that filtering are political and intent based, with no bearing on religion.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »
It directly contradicts your statement that Pete said it was okay.  He said it was Constitutional to discriminate on that basis in this circumstance.

Pyrtolin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »
It directly contradicts your statement that Pete said it was okay.  He said it was Constitutional to discriminate on that basis in this circumstance.
Does it contradict or not? He said it was okay to discriminate on a religious basis, not on the secular basis of political alignment or intent to do harm. The entire focus of the argument was his insistence that religion was an acceptable basis to filter for those attitudes. It was the point of the people arguing against him taht those elements could be watched for _without_ any reference to religion at all.

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
I'm beginning to like Cruz for the GOP nomination.  Trump is so outlandish and absurd, but he pays it back by being entertaining.  In this new unenlightened age, there is no longer a line between entertainment value and information value.  I think he would be pretty harmless if he were in office, which is clearly less good than being effective, but better than evil, which Cruz is.

Let's see, the Cruz scorecard for the past week or so is:

* Sent out deceptive mailings telling people that they were in violation of a non-existent law for a phony claim about their voting history, and that they should caucus for him.  No apology forthcoming, politics as usual.
* Opened his post-caucus victory rally by saying "Glory be to God".  Shameless huckstering.  Says any candidate who doesn't begin each day with those words isn't fit to be President.
* Told his supporters that Carson was dropping out, and that they should caucus for him instead.  Phony apology offered that blames a news outlet for the mistake, but they never said what he claimed.
* Sent a mailer to NH residents promising that any donation they make to him will be matched by a "group of generous donors".  This was knowingly deceptive, impossible to be true and very likely illegal.
* Said that if elected, he would abolish the IRS and institute a universal 10% VAT.  Guess who that hurts the most.

I want him to be the nominee, because if a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich, a can of cat food could beat him by a landslide in the election.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Now you're just being sad.  Are you really tripling down on not understanding the simple conceptual difference between "okay" and "unconstitutional"?  It's impossible to communicate with people who don't understand even simple words.

Pyrtolin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
Now you're just being sad.  Are you really tripling down on not understanding the simple conceptual difference between "okay" and "unconstitutional"?  It's impossible to communicate with people who don't understand even simple words.
Ah, so you have no actual point here, you're just engaging in a pedantic nitpick of loose phrasing in a specific context about constitutionality to inject a tangential moralistic interpretation?

"Okay" does not necessarily mean "Constitutional" however when specifically and directly being used as the complement to "Unconstitutional" that's the best contextual reading of meaning.

The debate was Pete arguing that it was _constitutional_ to discriminate based on religion for immigration and everyone else point out that it was not, and that the factors the he actually wanted to filter for were completely orthogonal to religion.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
I don’t understand why, as seen from the outside looking in on American politics, Trump could have the support he has.
I find it disturbing on many levels and to be candid horrifically scary.

And if this statement: “there is no longer a line between entertainment value and information value” is accurate… how can that be acceptable on any level especially when it comes to selecting a leader.

During interviews of the more articulate Trump supporter I continue to hear excuses for Trump.
Just because the things Trumps says can be taken as racist he is not a racist
Just because his actions towards woman are experienced by woman as misogynist he is not a misogynist.
Just because his communication stile is based on aggressive bullying he is not a bully.
Just because his nationalism rhetoric comes off as Fascist he is not a Fascist

If it looks like *censored*, smells like *censored* and tastes like *censored*... why the hell do some many people still want to step and play in it. 

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
Ah, so you have no actual point here, you're just engaging in a pedantic nitpick of loose phrasing in a specific context about constitutionality to inject a tangential moralistic interpretation?
My actual point was that your premise was false, which leads to questioning of your interpretation.  After your responses, I'm changing my view to your premise was deliberately and manipulatively false and therefore your conclusions are highly suspect.
The debate was Pete arguing that it was _constitutional_ to discriminate based on religion for immigration and everyone else point out that it was not, and that the factors the he actually wanted to filter for were completely orthogonal to religion.
Actually, it was Pete, myself and others who pointed out that in that case discrimination on religion was constitutional, not everyone gave an opinion on whether it was necessary or a good idea.   It was you, who was completely incorrect about the actual facts or legality, and couldn't separate your opinions on how the situation should be resolved from the reality.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2016, 03:53:08 PM »
The constitution does not limit Congress from enacting any class based restrictions .  That doesn't mean it's right. What Trunp proposes re banning Muslim immigration is wrong and bad policy, but not actually unconstitutional.

Now restricting DHAESH's religious followers from immigrationis FAR more specific than Trump's lame proposal.  Narrowly tailored for a national survival purpose. So even if the first Amendment had any effect on immigration rules (it does not!) The narrow restriction I suggested would still be constitutional under the 14th Amendment.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »
My actual point was that your premise was false, which leads to questioning of your interpretation.  After your responses, I'm changing my view to your premise was deliberately and manipulatively false and therefore your conclusions are highly suspect.
Actually, it was Pete, myself and others who pointed out that in that case discrimination on religion was constitutional, not everyone gave an opinion on whether it was necessary or a good idea.   It was you, who was completely incorrect about the actual facts or legality, and couldn't separate your opinions on how the situation should be resolved from the reality.

Agreed with Seriati about the previous discussion with Pyr.

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
Don't mistake my sad and irritable sardonic humor for real support.  There may (or may not) be hope for us yet, but we have to somehow find our footing in this boggy fen we call the political process.  Don't cry for us, Canada, we'll figure a way out...

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »
What Trunp proposes...
I wish that was his name, so people would have at least a tingle of discomfort talking about him.  On the Democratic side, we could talk about Clibton or Sarnderls.  Rubot, Florida, Cludge, Christial and Butch don't clite quut it.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2016, 08:53:37 PM »
I don’t understand why, as seen from the outside looking in on American politics, Trump could have the support he has.

And if this statement: “there is no longer a line between entertainment value and information value” is accurate… how can that be acceptable on any level especially when it comes to selecting a leader.

During interviews of the more articulate Trump supporter I continue to hear excuses for Trump.
Just because the things Trumps says can be taken as racist he is not a racist
Just because his actions towards woman are experienced by woman as misogynist he is not a misogynist.
Just because his communication stile is based on aggressive bullying he is not a bully.
Just because his nationalism rhetoric comes off as Fascist he is not a Fascist

If it looks like *censored*, smells like *censored* and tastes like *censored*... why the hell do some many people still want to step and play in it.

As one who walked around it and gave it wide berth, I have to wonder why some of you worry about stepping in it after you keep tasting it and rolling in it?

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2016, 06:00:12 AM »
Not that it means anything, but Trump won the NH primary handily.  More important is what happened down below.  At this point Fiorina, Carson, Christie, Gilmore (!) and other (1.7%) should all drop out.  That would leave Trump, Cruz, Kasich, Bush and Rubio, which is still too many to make sense of.  It doesn't look like any of them will carry enough delegates to the convention to win on the first ballot, which means that any of them -- or none of them -- will be the nominee.  I only know that if it's one of them I will have predicted their victory (except for Kasich) at one time or another.  That puts me in the same league as the professional pollsters and pundits, the difference being that I don't get paid the big bucks for swiveling my chair and pointing hopefully at every candidate who wanders by.  Lordy, what a time we live in.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
Americans ought to be ashamed that a man like Trump could even be in the running
Shame

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
Straw man candidates have been a part of elections as far back as the Roman Republic.  I'm just embarrassed he's winning.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:10 AM »
A lot of us are rightleft, a lot of us are.

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »
I'm even more ashamed (and afraid) of Cruz.  He would be like a Baptist Pope and we would all be his flock.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2016, 12:46:30 PM »
All I know about him is that you compare me to him, and given the precedent, you must think I would hate him.

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
I still gotta ask, what's with Jim Gilmore?

He received fewer votes yesterday than Ron Paul, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum.  Isn't there a message in there somewhere?  ;)

AI Wessex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
Right, getting beat by "other" has got to eat at him, wherever he is. Somebody should tell him.