Author Topic: Shaun King - Police brutality jumped a racial fence  (Read 694 times)

JoshuaD

• All Members
    • View Profile
Shaun King - Police brutality jumped a racial fence
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-police-brutality-jumped-racial-fence-minn-shooting-article-1.3332799

This weekend in Minneapolis, I believe police brutality jumped the racial fence when a beautiful, blonde haired, white woman, Justine Damond, a yoga and meditation instructor from Australia, who was just a few weeks away from getting married, was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer outside of her home. From all indications, Damond called the police herself when she believed she heard some type of disturbance in the alley behind her home. At almost midnight on Saturday, when she met the officers outside in her pajamas, an officer inside of the car shot and killed Justine. She wasn't found to be carrying a weapon. The cops shot and killed an unarmed white yoga instructor in her pajamas who called them for help. It's ludicrous.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Shaun King - Police brutality jumped a racial fence
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »
Three people “with knowledge of the incident” told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the responding officers pulled into the alley behind Damond’s home. The woman, wearing pajamas, approached the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver, the newspaper reported. The officer in the passenger seat then shot Damond through the driver’s side door, the three people told the newspaper.
This was the first and only report I saw in any coverage describing the actual firing of the gun by the officer.

He fired from the passenger seat, IN his vehicle, past his partner in the driver seat, and hit the woman standing on that side of the car!?

This is either the worst cop/partner I can imagine, or something happened that isn't out there yet.  That they both had their cameras off though makes me a lot less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

If the shot did go through the door as this seems to indicate, it sounds like a ND to me.  :(  But with footage we have every expectation SHOULD exist, not being present? 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:45:49 PM by D.W. »

Seriati

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
I've read this multiple times and I still don't understand what "jumped the racial fence" means.  It's a bit of a false meme that the police only kill black people and are only irrational when dealing with black people.  I'd suggest caution for anyone when dealing with them these days.  Their training is designed to "neutralize threats" not  really to calm a situation down and get a good result. 

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »
Probably an accidental weapon discharge (ah ND - negligent discharge).  I can't imagine circumstances where the shooting was deliberate.  Accidental discharges happen for more frequently than we'd like to think - usually with just minor property damage.

Good article on accidental (negligent) discharges by police,

There is a venerable saying among those who carry guns every day, which goes something like this: “There are two kinds of gun owners: those that have had a ND and those that will admit to having had a ND.”

Full disclosure: mea culpa, but if you’re looking for true confessions, try Oprah or the Hallmark Channel. Most, if not all of us, can tell a ND story, or know of those of friends or acquaintances who’ve had one. Another way of phrasing the question is to ask if NDs are preventable.

Theoretically, of course, they are. Absent mechanical faults that virtually defy the laws of physics, a holstered handgun with its trigger and trigger guard completely covered by the material of the holster, as long as it remains holstered, is not going to “go off” by itself. A semiautomatic firearm with no seated magazine, with the chamber checked visually and physically, will not fire a bullet if the slide is closed and the trigger is pulled. Similarly, a revolver with all cartridges ejected, its cylinder carefully visually and manually checked, will not fire if the cylinder is closed and the trigger is pulled. Yet, supposedly cleared firearms somehow manage to shoot all the time.

http://concealednation.org/2015/04/negligent-discharges-are-they-inevitable/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:24:28 PM by LetterRip »

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:47:49 PM »
Still gives rise to the question of what the officer was doing that the gun was even pointing in the general vicinity of another person. Never mind he almost shot his partner from the sounds of it based on the early reporting.

That's gun safety 101 right there, you never bring a potentially loaded firearm to bear on another person unless you intend to use it on them, because things like this can happen.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »
Perhaps it was one of those magic bullets that Oswald used.

jasonr

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »
"Jumped the racial fence". What despicable coverage. These bottom feeding sleezebags deserve Trump.

Pete at Home

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
"Jumped a racial fence is BS propaganda.  A greater number of police killings (whether justified, excused, or criminal) are white males although the greater proportion are black males.

What it hopped is the gender fence, but King can't admit that because it's not politically correct to acknowledge that setting aside vaginal rape, males face the vast majority of all violence. The difference between male and female on these stats completely eclipses the difference between black and white.  Shaun King knows there will be an uproar over a rich female tourist, and he's trying to pre-spin it as a race issue.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
"Jumped a racial fence is BS propaganda.  A greater number of police killings (whether justified, excused, or criminal) are white males although the greater proportion are black males.

What it hopped is the gender fence, but King can't admit that because it's not politically correct to acknowledge that setting aside vaginal rape, males face the vast majority of all violence. The difference between male and female on these stats completely eclipses the difference between black and white.  Shaun King knows there will be an uproar over a rich female tourist, and he's trying to pre-spin it as a race issue.
Isn't he making a similar claim as you?  "sleezebag" tactics aside, his point seems to be:

Can we now agree this is not a "black problem"?  Are you (white people) willing to listen NOW?

I agree it's an attempt to spin the event, but for those dismayed when time and again a legitimate concern is (perceived to be) dismissed by the larger population because the victims were not above doubt when it comes to whether or not they provoked the shooting.  A white female yoga teacher in her PJ's who actually called the police in an effort to help others?  Surely now there will be no apologists for the police...  right?

I don't expect it to play out that way, but I believe that's the rational. 

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »

Isn't he making a similar claim as you?  "sleezebag" tactics aside, his point seems to be:

Can we now agree this is not a "black problem"?  Are you (white people) willing to listen NOW?

I agree it's an attempt to spin the event, but for those dismayed when time and again a legitimate concern is (perceived to be) dismissed by the larger population because the victims were not above doubt when it comes to whether or not they provoked the shooting.  A white female yoga teacher in her PJ's who actually called the police in an effort to help others?  Surely now there will be no apologists for the police...  right?

Shaun King is making it racial but deliberately avoiding one fact, the cop's name: Mohamed Noor.  Ft completely out of King's article. Why do you think Shaun King does not want you to know that? King wants to fan the flames of racism but,  given Noor's history of problems in his 2 year police career, perhaps the story is more about allowing an incompetent officer to remain on the force so as to avoid looking anti-islamic.

Pete at Home

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »

Check the forum history -- I've been crusading against police brutality and abuse of power since before Black Lives Matter was a gleam in Soros' eye.

Yes, there's a problem, and to address the problem, we need facts and rigorous accuracy.  Justice cannot be built on a lie.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:13 AM »
Check the forum history -- I've been crusading against police brutality and abuse of power since before Black Lives Matter was a gleam in Soros' eye.
What in anything I said makes you think I was questioning that Pete?

given Noor's history of problems in his 2 year police career,
Crunch, got any links on this? 

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »

given Noor's history of problems in his 2 year police career,
Crunch, got any links on this?

Here:
According to KARE11, “Noor has two open complaints against him from 2017 and one from 2016,” although the station does not detail what they are about.
One of those complaints is a federal issue May 25, 2017 incident where Noor and the other officers “without any reasonable or legal cause” of forcing “their way into a former social worker's house,” where they’re accused of having “violently and forcibly detained her, and transported her to a hospital against her will.” She’s alleging violations of constitutional rights and a lawsuit is pending. Those are current open complaints, there is a third that has been closed.

Noor’s partner was allegedly “stunned” when Noor opened fire, KARE11 reported through a source.
and
KTSP also reported some of the same details, adding that Damond was shot multiple times.
Sounds like the guy just decided to pull his weapon and go wild west.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
Shaun King is making it racial but deliberately avoiding one fact, the cop's name: Mohamed Noor.  Ft completely out of King's article. Why do you think Shaun King does not want you to know that? King wants to fan the flames of racism but,  given Noor's history of problems in his 2 year police career, perhaps the story is more about allowing an incompetent officer to remain on the force so as to avoid looking anti-islamic.

I haven't seen much of a history of problems. The Shaun King story is a garbage agenda driven opinion piece written for the Daily News. I treated it as such and threw it away.

I don't see any evidence in other reports of a history of problems.

He was recognized in May 2016 by Mayor Betsy Hodges, who called his assignment a "wonderful sign of building trust and community policing at work." He has two open complaints, from 2017 and 2016.

I have no standards to judge whether one complaint a year is a lot, but it sounds low.

As for the actions on the day, I've learned to just wait a couple of weeks because the full story is almost never immediately forthcoming - partly why people don't trust the police because they can hold back important information for months, at least in part to avoid being portrayed in a bad light while people are most attentive.

We often seem to find out later that there was footage after all, or audio recordings, or a detail messed up in the initial written reports.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:13 PM »

I'd been wondering what the odds were that one of, or both of the officers involved were minorities of some flavor. Sounds like one confirmed, and the other still unknown(presumed white until proven otherwise?).