Author Topic: When is a book not a book? Apparently when the First Lady gives it to you!  (Read 1670 times)

JoshCrow

• Members
    • View Profile
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/29/librarian-rejects-melania-trump-s-dr-seuss-books-calls-them-racist-propaganda.html

Yeah, so this reminds me of that time Michelle Obama got pushback on her Eat Healthy program (or whatever it was called) for kids. This is every bit as stupid as Sarah Palin standing on a pedestal prasising kids' freedom to eat junk food.

Holy smokes, can we all just leave First Ladies alone to promote good food and books for kids? This sort of obscenity deserves to be called out on both sides.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: When is a book not a book? Apparently when the First Lady gives it to you!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
I'm too busy eating candy bars to consider this further.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
“Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes,” Soeiro wrote, giving  examples of "If I Ran a Zoo" and "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street" as clear “racist mockery” in Seuss’ art.

The clearest way to embolden the 'other side' is to take the position that Dr. Seuss is right-wing propaganda. The left really needs to denounce these radical extremists because, honestly, they are just helping gear Trump up for a 2020 win.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Have you seen the picture of the librarian in question holding up a copy of a Dr. Seuss book while wearing the Cat in the Hat's hat? 

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
Serious idiocy.  I can't believe such a person is a librarian - though I have encountered one or two librarians that I guess were pretty awful people so I guess they can't all fit my idealized image.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
This is so bizarre it's hard to even believe it is true. It is not entirely surprising that the library in question is part of the People's Republic of Cambridge.

One is tempted to wonder if the donation was selected to provoke some kind of reaction. If so, they hit the mother lode.

She was selling "Read Write Resist" t-shirts earlier this year:

My name is Liz Phipps Soeiro, I am a school librarian in Cambridge, MA, founder of the Cambridge Book Bike and on the inaugural advisory committee of BSF. I designed this shirt in response to our current political climate as a reminder of the power of information and the power of the people. I thought it only fitting to use this shirt to raise money for BSF to aid in their integral work around the globe. We'd love to see you in your shirt! We are on twitter: @BSF_Intl and I am: @ReflectLibrary

fundraising page

On the other hand, it might have just been one of a big list of schools.