Author Topic: Racism or rational response to trespassing  (Read 1525 times)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Racism or rational response to trespassing
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
I guess that would be one diligent racist reacting immediately to every single black person who walks in. It is pretty hard to extrapolate a data series from one sample, never assume that one sample is representative rather than an outlier.

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »
LR, it seems that the Starbucks was in the Center City neighborhood of Philly (at least the account I read said so), which is a pretty busy neighborhood, with a 15% black population (potentially more commuting into or through).  It would seem very odd for a manager to approach two black men withing 120 seconds of entering into the store, when one would expect that many black men come in every day.

Seriati, as I said the 2 minutes was a speculation by an interviewer that has become the popular narrative.  There hasn't been a definitive source on the amount of time between them entering and the manager calling the police.  The only stuff we have a definitive time on is the 911 call and onwards.  I think the '2 minutes' was assumed because they said they were planning to be there '10 minutes early' for their meeting.

Not saying it didn't happen that way, cause no way to know, just seems like a very convenient chronology, almost like there are some details missing that would explain why the manager would react so quickly.

There are any number of scenarios that both parties could be acting in good faith.  Even with a 2 minute timeline, the manager might have thought they were someone else who had been there for awhile.  Or the men could have not realized the amount of time, etc.

If it were just racism, would expect a dozen calls a day, wouldn't we?

Not necessarily, but I would have thought that there would be more evidence of past events involving black patrons than we have, or something damning in her social media.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »
Another edition of "is it racist".

Oakland police called because of a grill

In this case, white busybody demands that people leave because they are not allowed to have a grill where they had it. black family tells her to get lost. Busybody calls cops.

Now, one possibility is that busybody got mad because people were loud, using foul language, smoke was blowing toward her, whatever. We've all met Ms. Busybody in our lives. She tries to figure out what she can do about it, and "Aha! They are not allowed to grill here!" Hm, what can I do to get rid of them... I'll call the cops.

Now, if this were a white family BBQ - we never hear about it. Cops show up, roll their eyes, and leave much as they did in this case. Note that the Oakland cops didn't find it necessary to issue a citation or arrest the grill family or we'd really have an issue. Presumably this is because every but busybody rolled their eyes.

The woman hurled several racial epithets at the group and told them they’d soon be going to prison for their Sunday afternoon cookout, Newsweek earlier reported. In the video, the woman said her call had “nothing to do with their race."

Oops, looks like it is racist. By definition, if you start using racist language - you are a racist. But where does this information come from? From the aggrieved family, no independent witnesses. Guess we're back to not racist, since none of the cellphone video has any of that. Back to not racist. Perhaps they made the assumption she was racist, and just embellished to get more support.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
Can't we just throw in busybody piece of human excrement into the same category as racists and bigots?  It sure would save time and all this uncomfortable indecisiveness.  :P