Author Topic: Justice and murder by the mentally ill  (Read 1917 times)

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
Justice and murder by the mentally ill
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
On facebook, a relative posted a story that a woman who killed her child and then attempted suicide is being sentenced to life (someone apparently the various people commenting had known).  There were a number of comments by people that they were glad that 'justice' had occurred for the child.

To me the word justice in this context seems entirely wrong.

scifibum

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Justice and murder by the mentally ill
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
I think punitive justice is a fiction.

Locking the woman up might be justified absent advances in psychology that can more or less guarantee that she is not too dangerous to live as an ordinary citizen, since she's demonstrated that she sometimes is too dangerous.

Locking up the woman to deter others from killing children is probably also justified (although I think it's worth studying how much punishment creates how much deterrence - on a perpetual basis).

Locking the woman up to balance out the harm she did makes zero sense. 

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:34 AM »
Given the way that certain political groups use terms like "justice" and "respect", that's dead on consistent usage.  one cannot throw intent out of a crime as an element in cases alleging rape, murder, and even hate crimes (what could be more fraking stupid than a hate crime without a mens rea component!)  without making a mockery of justice for the mentally ill and everyone else (if there is anyone else; I personally think the rumor of sane people out there is greatly exaggerated).

JoshCrow

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
It's possible what they really meant was "closure" and didn't have the word skills.