Author Topic: Check your voter registration  (Read 1217 times)

Greg Davidson

• Members
    • View Profile
Check your voter registration
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:46:23 PM »
Excellent website from Headcount, which has been a nonpartisan voter registration organization for 14 years. Check your registration, and if you have been dropped from the rolls, this enables you to re-register:

https://www.headcount.org/verify-voter-registration/

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Check your voter registration
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »
Just went and checked out my registration. I moved in January and thought it would have been updated through the DPS when I changed my driver's license (Texas has a provision to get registered via that system).

Turns out, no. I'm in the same county so now I have to somewhere find a stamp and an envelope to change my precinct. I can't remember the last time I mailed something, I think it was before I moved.

Incidentally, I checked and I'm still registered to vote in Utah, where I haven't lived in over 2 years. This is the kind of stuff that people who gnash their teeth about voter fraud froth about. Maybe they'll bus somebody in to use my vote.

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
Well, Drake, now that you told them...!  ::)

If Romney loses, we'll know who is to blame.  ;)

Greg Davidson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
That's one of the telling indictments of the false Republican bills about voter fraud. By far the most frequent cause of registration errors is disconnects between states when voters move from one state to another. And yet not a single one of the Republican voter suppression bills (that are advertised as if they are about voter fraud) actually address a national voter registration system that would catch these disconnects between states.

Mynnion

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
Mine must be correct since I got my WI absentee ballot in the mail yesterday although I may still be registered in PA.  Not sure how to find out.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
That's one of the telling indictments of the false Republican bills about voter fraud. By far the most frequent cause of registration errors is disconnects between states when voters move from one state to another. And yet not a single one of the Republican voter suppression bills (that are advertised as if they are about voter fraud) actually address a national voter registration system that would catch these disconnects between states.

You mean they didn't propose a "bill" to do what it would take a Constitutional Amendment to achieve (i.e., a National voter registration system)?  How odd!

I note by the way that the Democrats routinely protest state measures designed to require voter verification, even though they can barely articulate how such a system would not be fair (particularly if it provided for registration at the spot).

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
Well, there's no ID law that will stop me from getting on a plane and voting in Salt Lake. If someone were hell bent on it, there's really nothing keeping someone from making a fake ID - it won't take much to fool the retirees that are typically working the polling locations. Actions that have been taken before to straighten up the registrations tend to scrub out plenty of legitimate registrations.

Interestingly, I don't see that there is any mechanism for me to tell Salt Lake County I don't live there anymore and to take my name off. There is no de-registration process.

I don't think there is anything preventing states from figuring this out on their own. They could do it through the website I used with a REST api and a tiny python script. If you have the information in one database, you can compare it to someone else's. No need to pass any amendments, or to federalize voter registration, which would be impossible anyway since different states have different standards.

I dislike the characterization that people can't effectively articulate why voter ID and extra hoops are an issue. You can reject the arguments, but they have been coherently made.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 02:04:26 PM »
Well that's interesting. Texas has processed my change of address, but they are calling it "Valid" on 11/6, but "Effective" on 11/8. Another note says the effective date is what determines if I can vote. My registration was deleted from my old address, so I couldn't vote there even though it is the same county.

I don't have any way to prove that I mailed the change in time, although I remember specifically going to the post office to mail it to beat the 30 day deadline with no questions.

So I guess I can show up and likely get rejected, show up an insist on a provisional ballot that will likely be thrown out, or just forget the whole thing? I could try to early vote too.

If I ask the system about polling place and ballot info, it gives it to me.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
Went to an early polling station and they said I was all set.