Author Topic: Conservative Property Destruction makes me laugh  (Read 1397 times)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Conservative Property Destruction makes me laugh
« on: September 04, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Oh, I'm relishing all the videos of people burning their shoes. This will teach you a lesson, Nike! I wonder why they didn't give the shoes away to people who don't have any - especially since some of those people are veterans. My favorite was one where a dude looks like he's starting a wildfire in his yard as well.

har de har har

Seriously though. I would love to have seen the spreadsheet projections for Nike. More people are saying "Nike" right now than any other campaign could have accomplished. Nike has taken a quick dip, I should see if I can buy some for the bounce.

I just wish a car company would come out strongly in favor of BLM. That would be awesome.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Property Destruction makes me laugh
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »
It would seem that Nike had done their marketing homework prior to running the ad campaign: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45472399
Online sales grew by 31% in the bank holiday weekend after the ad launched, according to researcher Edison Trends.

<snip>

"The research confirms that, at least for now, the company is suffering no negative repercussions in sales," the firm said.

Edison said the performance from Sunday 2 September to 4 September - which included the Labor Day bank holiday Monday - was better than the same period last year when online sales grew 17%.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
Staying power may be another matter. If sales drop off rapidly shortly afterwards then the final calculus for the Ad Campaign changes quickly. As it is possible they saw a bump from people who purchased/purchased earlier because they took a controversial position. (Tech sector workers making a large potential block of such buyers--particularly considering their tendency to shop online) What remains to be seen is the longer term fallout from the rest of their customer base, and that can take months or even years to play out. Adult males in particular aren't known for buying multiple sets of athletic footwear each year, for example.

Which is also part of the "purchased earlier" grouping, they might find they didn't really gain a new customer, they just time-shifted some of their existing customers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:01:25 PM by TheDeamon »

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
All accurate, if they were JUST selling shoes.  I expect their sports ware far exceeds actual shoe sale by volume.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
Also to note, and people on Ornery often forget - but the USA is not the world.  Nike's international sales make up more than half of the company's revenue, and are growing, whereas revenue in the USA is basically flat.  And where the controversial ad campaign is likely to be seen internationally, I doubt there is any downside, and likely huge upside.

Inside the USA, it also helps to understand the Nike demographics - the Nike market correlates with black culture to a far greater degree than to the ethnic divide of the country in general.  Basketball, hip-hop culture... though not exclusively black, these multi-ethnic markets' members, even when non-black, are likely to respond better to a campaign lionizing Kaepernick than would the general population or white men in general.

Greg Davidson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 01:04:20 AM »
If there are ~5 major brands of sneakers ad Nike takes a stand that pisses off 45% of the population and strongly pleases ~0% of the population, that would be a huge win for Nike.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
A day after Nike announced Colin Kaepernick as the face of the brand's 30th anniversary ad campaign, a city mayor in Louisiana issued a memo banning the purchase and use of any Nike products at the city's booster clubs and recreation departments.

Although the memo was not meant to be made public, it was widely shared on social media, and landed in the hands of some of the Kenner City Council members, who didn't know of its existence until this weekend.
"I was not made aware of this decision beforehand and it is in direct contradiction of what I stand for and what the city of Kenner should stand for," Councilman Gregory Carroll said on Facebook.
"I am 100% AGAINST this decision. I will meet with the mayor and other council members in an effort to rescind this directive. I will keep the citizens of Kenner, and the Greater New Orleans area informed as we move forward," Carroll added.

This is kind of an interesting question. Certainly autocratic in nature. The idea of government pressuring a company based on its speech is unsavory to me. On the other hand, should taxpayers have money go to a company that is speaking contrary to their values. Of course, without a paper trail this can happen everywhere. If the rec department procurement guy was pissed off about Nike, and just chose not to order their products, no one would likely ever know.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »
On the other hand, should taxpayers have money go to a company that is speaking contrary to their values.
Are you speaking in the hypothetical here?   :'(

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
No, not hypothetical. Is it impossible to conceive of a company or individual that you might be infuriated to learn that they won a city contract? Especially if they were politically active in one form or another?

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
No it's not?  Then you ask me to conceive of one?

Listen, I get that people are upset with Nike.  But the whole outrage around THIS issue (not a hypothetical one)  is intentional distortion.

Nobody (should) values writing police a blank check to racially profile, abuse power or even kill citizens without repercussions.  Our tax dollars should be going to prevent these exact things...

Hence my question.

So hypothetically, yes, I can see a situation arising where I would be upset my local government was spending "my" money to support a company which held/supported/promoted views I didn't like. 

This distortion that Kapernick, NFL players or Nike are somehow "un-American" because of the form their protest took is nauseating to me. 

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
Hm, I guess I missed your point. Do I personally think this random minor official should have cancelled Nike over Kaepernick specifically? No, I support Kaepernick and his message.

Do I think that other people could reasonably have a point that their local government shouldn't buy equipment from Nike? Yes, that's the interesting part of the discussion.

What if 95% of the people in Mayor X's town are livid about Nike? Now you have a conflict between government acting on the will of the people (no matter how misguided), particularly where it involves their tax money being spent.   

This comes up more often than we might think.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
Any politician that wants re-elected must choose between inspiring some voters by demonstrating good character, and appeasing others by failing to do so. 

Or I suppose, to be more generous, that politician MAY actually believe opposing Nike is somehow pro-flag, or pro-Trump, or patriotic...  If so, I feel sorry for that person and those who voted them into office.  If they can ignore a clearly pro-justice and pro-equality message in the form of a peaceful protest and harbor animosity towards those protesting for something so unambiguously "good", our society is in deep *censored*.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
“When the gods wish to punish us, they make us believe our own lies”

Also to note, and people on Ornery often forget - but the USA is not the world.  Nike's international sales make up more than half of the company's revenue, and are growing, whereas revenue in the USA is basically flat.  And where the controversial ad campaign is likely to be seen internationally, I doubt there is any downside, and likely huge upside.

Inside the USA, it also helps to understand the Nike demographics - the Nike market correlates with black culture to a far greater degree than to the ethnic divide of the country in general.  Basketball, hip-hop culture... though not exclusively black, these multi-ethnic markets' members, even when non-black, are likely to respond better to a campaign lionizing Kaepernick than would the general population or white men in general.

Cogent except for the painfully predictable pc bromide in a he last sentece.  Who the frack are white men when stats are clear that white *women* unambiguously control the purse strings on nearly double what white men spend. If Madison Avenue put its money where Donald’s mountain h is, they’d be broke.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
While generally true, does that also apply to Nike?  It seems to me their market slants heavily towards the male end of the scale.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 12:09:57 AM »
While generally true, does that also apply to Nike?  It seems to me their market slants heavily towards the male end of the scale.

Does what apply to Nike?  I think if you spell it out your question answers itself.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
What he's saying is that unlike much of household buying decisions, women do not choose shoe brands in the high end sneaker markets. While they might have the standing to control whether a high end shoe is purchased, when they run the household budget, I haven't seen anything indicating that they choose the brand. Younger children (<12) are likely to have their brand choices ruled by Mom, but Nike doesn't really play a lot in that space AFAIK.

Nike has been trying for many years to capture more of the women's market, with varying results. In 2014, they made a big push to grow that.