Author Topic: Heitkamp goes full Feinstein  (Read 833 times)

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
Heitkamp goes full Feinstein
« on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »
Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, the most endangered Senate Democrat in next month’s midterm elections, apologized Tuesday for a newspaper ad that included names of victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or rape without their permission.

The ad was fashioned as an open letter to Rep. Kevin Cramer, Heitkamp’s Republican opponent, criticizing comments he made during the confirmation process for Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh.

In a statement Tuesday, Heitkamp (N.D.) said that her campaign “recently discovered that several of the women’s names who were provided to us did not authorize their names to be shared or were not survivors of abuse.”

“I deeply regret this mistake and we are in the process of issuing a retraction, personally apologizing to each of the people impacted by this and taking the necessary steps to ensure this never happens again,” the statement said.

Nice. Many of the women feel re-victimized by this. 127 women ground under the wheels of political expediency. I’m not sure, but I think that beats Bill and Hillary Clinton‘s record. 

One of Heitkamp’s victims says, “It's really messed up. I don't know if I want to have her apologize to me... wouldn't you have the common sense to get in contact to get permission in order to prove your point on a serious subject like this?" That’s a good point.  Just how stupid and callous do you have to be to go down this road? I though Feinstein was bottom of the barrel but the Democrats keep finding new ways to go lower.

Hetkamp has claimed full responsibility for it which isn't really a heroic gesture -- she is responsible for this. She's not being magnanimous, just admitting an obvious truth. Heitkamp says:
”Some people who are lawyers would say the worst thing you can do if you're worried about lawsuits is admit culpability or negligence and I'm admitting it right here... this is a very flagrant error of the campaign and I own it."

So....when can we expect Avenatti to file the lawsuits? Seriously, when is this champion of women going to take on Heitkamp? For that matter, when will Gloria Allred get involved?

Won’t the Democrats demand Heitkamp withdraw after re-victiming these women? If you think it’s not at that level, check this:
It's just weird that they would add every person that was on that list and where they live specifically.... if they were trying to put out awareness of sexual harassment why put our names and where we live?  That's easy access... That's kind of creepy in a way.

Heitkamp put out their names and where they live.  Some of these women now fear their attackers will find them. Heitkamp has not only re-victimized them, she’s made them potential targets.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Heitkamp goes full Feinstein
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »
I think her campaign manager, Libby Schneider, is going to have a very hard time finding work after a blunder this epic.

Interesting when I search on the name I got this:

misleading ads

Politifact rated the claims as "half-true," noting that Cramer has voted to "prevent health care companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions," but "the limits of what insurance companies could charge would have been watered down, which would have sent premiums skyrocketing, experts say, to the point that coverage for many would be unattainable."

Politifact giving a half-true to a Democrat in a crucial race translates to a "mostly false" or worse. AP also had problems with it.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »
I have a hard time understanding how the idea to essentially dox these women wound its way through various campaign staff to finally be published. It’s pretty hard to believe that it was dine without someone realizing how truly terrible an idea it was. It’s such a breakdown in judgment at every level.  Every person associated with should be fired. Somehow, I doubt that’s gonna happen.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »
I generally agree. The only way it could be worse is if she personally tweeted the names and called them horse faces.

According to more than a dozen interviews with women impacted by this controversy, the growing consensus is that someone pulled names from a Facebook post and added them to the open letter to Cramer without getting consent.
Delzer posted a call to action on her Facebook page, asking for women to be part of a "letter being circulated among survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and rape responding to Cramer's comments."
"We are looking for women are willing to sign there (sic) name (or initials) and list their hometown in North Dakota to include as part of the letter/ad," reads the post, that ended by telling readers another woman would validate all signatures that ended up on the open letter.
Below the post, Delzer tagged 12 other women in one comment and another 12 in a subsequent comment. All 24 women appeared on the open letter to Cramer, most in the same exact order they appeared in Delzer's comments.
"I am kind of confused about how this all happened after I tagged my friends in a post," Delzer told CNN. "All I did was share the post on Facebook and I tagged some of my Facebook friends on Facebook and someone, no one will tell me who, took the names that I tagged and put them in the letter."

Let the moral of the story be: Don't tag your friends with your political garbage post. If they want to see it, they'll see it in the feed. That's how facebook works. If you want to ensure a bunch of your friends see something - use messenger.