Author Topic: The future of food  (Read 278 times)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
The future of food
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »
Alt meat could solve a lot of environmental problems. Raising livestock is one of the major contributors to environmental issues, and the global population is not going down anytime soon.

The environmental impact of US beef production was drawn from an existing LCA study commissioned by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association in 2017 and the Beyond Burger’s LCA was evaluated using the same impact assessment methods.

The report, which was released today, found that the Beyond Burger generates 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions, requires 46% less non-renewable energy, has more than 99% less impact on water scarcity and 93% less impact on land use than a quarter pound of US beef.

Beyond burger costs about $12 a pound currently, which is roughly twice the price of grass fed beef and 4x the cost of the cheap stuff. That would seem a pretty big hurdle, but as they make money in their niche markets (vegan, etc), I would guess that they get much more competitive.

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: The future of food
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
The Impossible Burger will crush the Beyond Burger, it is far superior in taste and aroma (Beyond Burger smells like canned dog food raw) due to the legehemeglobin (an iron based oxygen storage and transport molecule in legume roots similar to myoglobin or hemoglobin) - which gives Impossible burger the aromas that we associate with hamburger.

The price per pound is simply scaling - they can't keep up with demand so they are setting the price high while they are expanding capacity.  At scale they could easily price it for 5% the price of real burger if they wanted.  Realistically though they will capture most of that as profit - and it will probably be set at whatever price point is needed to capture maximum marketshare -  I figure it will be 1.50$ a lb at grocery stores within a few years, probably cheaper than that in emerging markets.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:48:47 AM by LetterRip »

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »
I picked the Beyond burger because it retails and the study was done on it. Impossible probably is similar.

As I read about it, impossible is marketing through restaurant rather than retail, probably helps the logistics and the volume control. Some vegetarian colleagues of mine got one and were terrified of it and called a manager over to confirm it wasn't animal product.

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
The main reason Impossible Burger isn't in stores is because the FDA hadn't approved leghemeglobin as GRAS (generally recognized as safe).  This means that it couldn't be used as a food additive for grocery store products until specific expensive testing was done, but that same testing isn't required for it to be sold via restaurants.  Now that it is FDA approved as GRAS, it should enter supermarkets soon.