Author Topic: States of Emergency  (Read 428 times)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
States of Emergency
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
Was reading some on the topic as Trump threatens to build his wall under emergency powers.

I was somewhat shocked to learn that the US currently has 30 states of emergency in effect under the emergency powers act. Most have to do with blocking property with international scope. I fail to see why such things aren't done legislatively, and the whole idea of the emergency powers seems dangerous. Congress can only override the president if they have a veto-proof majority.

NobleHunter

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: States of Emergency
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Since everyone seems to be paying much more attention to how Trump uses the rather expansive power of the executive branch, it'd be nice if Congress leveraged the outrage into pruning back some of its less well thought out decisions.

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
Watched the interview with Sarah Huckabee.

I wish Chris Wallace would have asked her if a Wall would solve the "Emergency" of terrorists crossing the boarder. (weather or not that is happening)

I'm really not seeing the emergency though I think Trump has convinced himself that one exists, forgetting (or not knowing) that the primary point of fanning the issue was/is to energize his base

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
I think the assessment was that this was the only real chance he has of getting it built, and the real hope was that the lame-duck(and Republican) Congress would play ball. The Dems in the House aren't going to respond to anything on this particular front unless their face is stuck in it.

I'm inclined to think Trump is not expecting to complete his term in office, and wants to get this particular item taken care of. In this respect it should be more terrifying for the Republicans, as that means Trump will be willing to pay a very high political price to get his wall.

The question then becomes how capable the Democrats are of dodging this as a negative against them as well.

Only other outcome the Dems can hope for is that they stall things long enough that Republicans become willing to jump ship in enough numbers to override a Presidential Veto. In which case the Republicans are going to make things even worse for themselves.

rightleft22

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
This is all very sad.
From what I can tell few people believe that there is an emergency or that a wall will provide the security desired.

Its all just a pissing contest against the wind and were all getting wet.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
And in the meantime the Democrats are ratcheting that proverbial pendulum to an ever higher position, with Trump encouraging them.

This is not going to end well. Both side are &**hats for this one. We're probably nearing the point that we are going to be feeling this one reverberate around for the next 3 election cycles at least. Particularly as "the Trump Voter" in particular the ones who voted on Border Security, realize this is the last gasp on this effort until probably the election cycle AFTER the next one.

First they're going to make a hash of 2020 for the Republicans if they break ranks with Trump on this. Which probably means a Dem in the White House, and that means nothing further can happen until 2024 at the earliest.  ::)

LetterRip

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:52:12 PM »
I think the assessment was that this was the only real chance he has of getting it built,

It seems unlikely he will be able to build it using this.  Congress has the only legal authority to allocate funds.  And it hasn't allocated funds for this.  So a lawsuit will be fast tracked, which he will almost certainly lose.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »
I think the assessment was that this was the only real chance he has of getting it built,

It seems unlikely he will be able to build it using this.  Congress has the only legal authority to allocate funds.  And it hasn't allocated funds for this.  So a lawsuit will be fast tracked, which he will almost certainly lose.

I'm not talking about the Executive Authority use, I was talking about what he started attempting before he started talking about that trap. I agree that State of Emergency/Executive Authority for funding it isn't going to hold up in court.

Wayward Son

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
I'm inclined to think Trump is not expecting to complete his term in office, and wants to get this particular item taken care of.

If that's the case, expect a concrete wall, because it would just be a monument to him.

The $5 billion they're fighting over would only cover a little over 200 miles of the 1500 mile+ border, from what I've read.  IOW, it won't do diddly.  Purely symbolic.

And if it's going to be symbolic, it might as well be concrete to last a while. :)

Crunch

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 02:39:04 PM »

Obama had $150 billion in cash to load on planes and give to a state sponsor of terrorism for the entire 36 years of its existence. I think Trump can use the exact same approach for only $5 billion.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
Obama had $150 billion in cash to load on planes and give to a state sponsor of terrorism for the entire 36 years of its existence. I think Trump can use the exact same approach for only $5 billion.

This again. Your procedure has grown tiresome. Was that US tax money being used? No, it was Iran's money that we were holding hostage. It was $1.8 billion on the plane, charitably. Most of the money wasn't even in US institutions, it was overseas.

Pete at Home

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
In case of emergency,
emerge and see,
if you really need to stay in your rabbit hole,
or if they are building Babel's tower
where the temple and the Reichtag
used to be

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
You say it's urgent
Make it fast, make it urgent
Do it quick, do it urgent
Gotta rush, make it urgent
Want it quick
Urgent, urgent, emergency

Pete at Home

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 06:30:12 PM »
You say it's urgent
Make it fast, make it urgent
Do it quick, do it urgent
Gotta rush, make it urgent
Want it quick
I'm going to use that Foreigner Song as if you'd declared it open source.
Quitclaiming the awesome connection that you just made
If you don't like that, Sue me, or tell me how to give credit where credit is due.