Author Topic: Law enforcement tweets  (Read 281 times)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
Law enforcement tweets
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »
I stay plugged in to my local police on twitter, and got the following message this morning:

Officers are currently working on locating an individual in the area of <intersection>. Helicopter is assisting. We believe there is no threat to the public. Please call us at <number> if you spot anything suspicious.

I just don't even know what to do with this. You're employing a helicopter to find someone who is described as not a threat? You have no details about the individual, not even gender. Isn't "spot something suspicious" just going to have people report based on stereotypes of various kinds?

They also do a fair amount of PR, obviously, recognizing service. They also have encouraged people to reach out and say hello to officers they see.

They send out timely information on major traffic accidents, like those that close all lanes of a major tollway, as well as road closings during flooding.

I haven't decided whether this is an overall net good or bad thing.

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Law enforcement tweets
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:28:35 PM »
Hey, all, we've got a copter out, don't freak, the suspect isn't a threat to the public, but if you see someone comically falling over fences, tripping over bird baths or find a random shoe in the kiddy-pool, let us know.

TheDeamon

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Law enforcement tweets
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:26:20 AM »
Hey, all, we've got a copter out, don't freak, the suspect isn't a threat to the public, but if you see someone comically falling over fences, tripping over bird baths or find a random shoe in the kiddy-pool, let us know.

What about the guy hiding in my bushes, is he ok, or should I report that?  8)