Author Topic: AK47 Home defense, I've now encountered two reports of it this past year.  (Read 2223 times)

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
https://www.click2houston.com/news/homeowner-fatally-shoots-3-men-during-home-invasion-police-said

HOUSTON - Police said three men are dead and two others are in a hospital after a homeowner shot them during a possible home invasion in east Houston.

A shootout occurred just before 1 a.m. on Sherman Street near 71st Street, as the homeowner responded to five men who allegedly tried to break in, according to Houston police.

One man was left dead in front of the house, at least one wounded man took off on foot and the others left in an SUV, police said.

The car crashed into a pole nearby at Harrisburg Boulevard, where a man was found dead inside, according to police. Police say another person in the car fled, collapsed down the street on Capitol Street and later died.

The fourth and fifth suspects were also injured and taken to a hospital, police said.

Outside the house, homicide investigators are combing through the crime scene where it appears there was a shootout; several dozen shell casings have been found.

A neighbor told KPRC2 he saw two men with big guns enter the home as others pulled up, so he went inside and then heard gunshots.

related:
https://www.theepochtimes.com/texas-homeowner-shoots-5-men-during-home-invasion-police_2773876.html

Officials told KTRK that the homeowner shot the men in self-defense using a fully-loaded AK-47, an assault rifle.

The 20-year-old homeowner said that the men, wearing ski masks, approached his house and busted inside, demanding cash, forcing him to defend himself.

And then the second story in Memphis, TN:

http://www.kxxv.com/story/38330717/homeowner-shoots-kills-2-burglars-with-ak-47

"I see my house being ransacked and the dog was still going hysterical in the cage," he said. "When he saw me he notified the other individual that was with him, 'hey, they are here.'"

That's the moment he said when the suspected burglars pulled out guns, but he was able to get to a hall closet to get his.

"I had my own personal AK-47," he said.

The homeowner admits it's not the first time there's been a shooting at his home. Police markings show where the home was shot up less than a year ago.

"I don't know what's going on but I know I'm going to defend my life to the best of my ability," he said.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
Five heavily armed men attacking you in your home makes a good case for why the left is wrong about their assessment of what kind of force is required to defend yourself. Ten rounds probably wouldn't have cut it here. This guy was basically at war.   

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
If only he had built a wall, he wouldn't have needed a firearm.

Of course, if it had been me, I wouldn't have needed a firearm because I would have given them the wallet they demanded.

I'd also wager there's more to this than meets the eye. I can't see five armed guys splitting the loot from a random home invasion. The fact that the guy keeps a loaded AK-47 within easy reach somewhat supports that theory, but doesn't prove anything.

I also suspect that had he blown the first guy away with a shotgun that the other guys would probably leave rather than doubling down.

This is also interesting:

Outside the house, homicide investigators are combing through the crime scene where it appears there was a shootout; several dozen shell casings have been found.

So he fought them off and, what, chased them into the street to finish shooting them all? Good thing he had all those extra bullets for his revenge.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
I'm no fan of assault rifles, and this strikes me as a "broken clock being right" scenario, he did indeed have the right tool for the job.

To me this is just like any other question of how much insurance is prudent.  Rational risk assessment or not, he had enough when they showed up. 

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
I saw these stories the other day, and I think there's got to be more to them.

That said, having more weapon than you need to defend yourself is rarely going to be a problem, while having less than you need could have dramatically bad results.  The home invaders themselves came armed to kill, not having that rifle very likely leads to a dead homeowner.

But there has to be more to it.  Who keeps a loaded AK-47 in a closet (other than a drug lord that is).

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
I saw these stories the other day, and I think there's got to be more to them.

Agreed, the 5 on 1 in Texas looks really strange, particularly given the homeowner involved is 20.

The Memphis case also is odd in that the same house was shot up only a year earlier.

But there has to be more to it.  Who keeps a loaded AK-47 in a closet (other than a drug lord that is).

Someone who doesn't have children in the house and trends towards the paranoid end of the spectrum.

What's the point of having a gun for home defense if it is locked up in a gun safe that will probably take 30 seconds to unlock on a good day, where the gun has additional "safety lock feature" that then needs to be removed, and after all of that, you still need to load the thing?

No, you're going to ignore the frequently spouted advice for safe storage, because "safe storage" defeats the purpose of having the gun in the first place.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
I disagree that safe storage obviates the need.  It's possible that someone breaking into your house could be standing over your bed when you first become aware of them (in which case no gun will do you any good).   But almost every story I've heard involves a home owner hearing them break in.  You'll almost certainly have time, and it's not like an AK-47 takes a lot of time to load.

Heck, my father in law keeps his gun and ammo in separate safes, but he's practiced getting them open and loaded in the dark enough to know how long it'd take in a crisis.  But like I've said before, where I grew up rifles were often stored in a gun rack in the hallway and often with the ammo sitting on top of the rack and it never would have occurred to me in a million years to touch them as a kid, even though I knew they were unloaded.