Author Topic: Trump the Democrat  (Read 741 times)

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
Trump the Democrat
« on: February 22, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
A topic inspired by RightLeft22, what would it look like if Trump was a Democrat but otherwise carried the same baggage? 

To clear the ground, I've asserted before and I still believe that Trump's policies are largely centrist, moreso than either of the past 2 Presidents certainly.  His successes have largely come on the right side of center because the Democrats elected not to work with him.  They choose opposition (and the electoral gains that came with it) over cooperation and the likelihood they would have made real policy gains for the first time in decades but would have had to give credit to Trump.  As much as I'd have preferred the latter, can't blame politicians for making the choice that keeps them in power.

So if Trump were a Democrat, the first thing that would be different is that he'd never once have been described as a racist.  Even with the exact same border policies, the media would have found ample evidence in his life of the promotion of people of all races to declare anyone that asserted he was a racist to be crazy.

It's entirely possible #metoo never happens.  That's not a good thing.  But the highly charged campaigns and rampant accusations of sexual issues contributed heavily to an atmosphere that wanted to hold the powerful to account for sexual misdeeds. 

I think his trade wars would still have happened.  But with full on support from the anti-globalist parts of the Dems, as well as from their unions. 

School choice reform on the other hand would have never happened.  Trump would have appointed a consistent Union person.  Not that I think he doesn't care about school reform, just not a hill worth dying on as a Democrat.

Russia angle?  Totally swept under the rug and we never even hear about it.  The Obama DOJ/FBI never open a "counter terrorism" case, never seek a FISA warrant and never go about spying on the campaign.  Even if they suspect a Russian connection, it gets downplayed as a proactive outreach or strategic reset.  Comey is still in office and still acting corruptly and Trump gets the AG you all think he wants (ie, one that buries any and all possible cases against him).

There's no issue raised about "emoluments," and no questions about his inaugerration committee.  Heck, it becomes semi official government policy to put foreign guests into his hotels and there are media arguments made that this is completely above board and at arms length.  Republican efforts to investigate are frequently compared to "Whitewater" with the implication that they are a complete waste of time.

Garland probably gets renominated.  Souter doesn't retire but maybe, maybe Ginsburg does.  Kind of depends to me on whether Garland gets nominated or  another justice is appointed (and then on who they are).  No matter who these nominees are, they get intense but fair scrutiny and are appointed with 60-70 votes.

Infrastructure gets more of a fast track than it has so far.  The wall is already being built and there is a deal for DACA to get done but also for verifiable constraints on illegals in the country (because they needed Republican support).  There are no sanctuary cities, and everyone is still cooperating with ICE. 

The only "national injunction" or major district court decision that has come into play is the one ruling DACA unConstitutional (which is what gave Republicans leverage).  The Travel Ban went into force with only minor protests that the administration addressed, and it was lifted in a timely manner.

ObamaCare is revised, but only administratively because there is no Republican buy-in, notwithstanding the revision proposal is centrist.  Republicans continue passing "repeal" resolutions and claiming they'll repeal it as soon as they take the Presidency.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Trump the Democrat
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
So if Trump were a Democrat, the first thing that would be different is that he'd never once have been described as a racist.

Are you saying that neither the DNC or GOP would call Trump a racist or misogynist?

So far your augments on what the DNC would not be concerned about. In this scenario what would the GOP attack trump for?

I would expect the GOP to come at Trump in regards to "Family Values" and Russian connections

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »
I would also expect the GOP to go after Trumps Tax return and not let it go until they were released, and even then keep at it
My feeling is that such things are just what opposition parties do

In the scenario Trump the Democrat would be Pro Life however I suspect those that identify their sense of self with 'being' Republican would reject Trump the Democrat and find ways to argue that he really isn't pro life.

My opinion is that for most people that who's identity is connected to a Party is not about right or wrong or even what's best. It just about winning so you can feel better then the other 

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:05:29 PM »
I think Trump basically is and was a Democrat before running, and that the GOP campaign was basically a sham. Or at least, a sham in the sense that he felt allegiance to that party. I do think that as a NYC businessman he'd have been most probably in the center, generally speaking, between the left and the right. He'd have been socially left-leaning and overall unconcerned with telling others what to do morally, but on the other hand the business side of him would favor policies like tax breaks over social policies like welfare and care for the poor. So overall I don't really see him as being squarely in either box, which in principle should be a good thing for a politician. That he sold himself as a conservative is kind of funny to me. What it says is that the so-called conservative agenda isn't nearly so important to people at present as other issues that he did bring up, like border security and backlash against political correctness. Him winning is a wake-up call, just as Hillary losing should be one to the left. The people don't want what the parties are selling, should be the takeaway.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 03:16:27 PM »
The media wouldn't sell the "Trump is a racist" story and no Republican politician is any good at "playing the race card."  Ergo it wouldn't exist as an issue.

Republican attacks would, in my best guess, be similar to some of the Democratic attacks.

Republicans would be flipping out to an even greater extent to the trade wars.  Absolute screaming about how tariffs only hurt us.

They'd call him weak on his foreign policy because of his express non-interventionist policies.

They'd be attacking him for his bankruptcies and likely claiming he wasn't as savvy a business person as he is.  But that would have fallen silent with the approved economy (unlike the way the Democrats pretend it isn't better).

His tax reform would not have reduced SALT taxes to the same extent (if at all), so they'd be calling it out for being pro-wealthy. 

A lot of what they'd attack after that would depend on what policies his allies in Congress were on board for.  On the other hand, I think would meet him in the middle on things.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:04:23 PM »
The media wouldn't sell the "Trump is a racist" story and no Republican politician is any good at "playing the race card."  Ergo it wouldn't exist as an issue.
I would agree with that and suspect your correct with the rest
Still pretty sure the GOP would be enthusiastically investigating the Russia and campaign stuff

Over All I feel that the GOP is more effective at going after their opponents then the DNC are. The DNC need to be morally superior gets in the way IMO
As Fenring noted
The people don't want what the parties are selling, should be the takeaway
and the DNC leadership still don't get it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:06:54 PM by rightleft22 »