Author Topic: Economics and Covid-19  (Read 2160 times)

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Economics and Covid-19
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »
He never votes for spending easily. This one was tarnished quite a bit by Pelosi's tactics, but the vote result was inevitable.

I'm fine if he wants to vote no on the bill to quantify his objection to the spending. Or put out a statement criticizing it, delaying the vote simply because you can is just a dick move.

Also I'm really uncertain what Pelosi tactics your talking about? She released a version of the bill (probably to influence Senate negotiations) but the house ended up using the Senate bill. Am I missing something here?

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2020, 03:19:14 PM »
A republican congressman is delaying the vote in the house by forcing a quorum call to pass the stimulus bill. The bill passed unanimously in the senate, the house is taking it up unchanged. The result of the vote isn't in doubt, just the timing. Is he being a constitutional stickler or just an a-hole (my vote is for a-hole). Also for everyone who said the dem's were being irresponsible by negotiating for an extra 48 hours to add restrictions to some of the corporate bailout money what do you think of this stunt?

I think Massie was being true to his foundational beliefs, but that he should have stepped outside of his basic paradigm in the realization that his stance was just grandstanding and would cause medical risks as the Congress had to fly back to DC. He is "Mr. No" for a reason. He never votes for spending easily. This one was tarnished quite a bit by Pelosi's tactics, but the vote result was inevitable.

Trump didn't like it. Not one bit.

“Looks like a third rate Grandstander named @RepThomasMassie, a Congressman from, unfortunately, a truly GREAT State, Kentucky, wants to vote against the new Save Our Workers Bill in Congress,” Trump wrote on Twitter.

“He just wants the publicity. He can’t stop it, only delay, which is both dangerous ... & costly,” Trump tweeted of Massie. “Workers & small businesses need money now in order to survive. Virus wasn’t their fault. It is ‘HELL’ dealing with the Dems, had to give up some stupid things in order to get the ‘big picture’ done. 90% GREAT! WIN BACK HOUSE, but throw Massie out of Republican Party!”

Trump also sought to target Massie’s status as chairman of the conservative House Second Amendment Caucus, writing: “By empowering the Radical Left Democrats, do nothing Kentucky politician @RepThomasMassie is making their War on the 2nd Amendment more and more difficult to win (But don’t worry, we will win anyway!). He is a disaster for America, and for the Great State of Kentucky!”

So was Massie wrong, or was Trump?

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
...the house ended up using the Senate bill. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are. It was Pelosi who put the skids on getting the process done quickly and cleanly. Schumer was fine with it until she came back to town and suddenly blocked the clean bill by adding all sorts of AOC-esque gratuitous requests. Why add Green power initiatives, Planned Parenthood funding, or immigrant funding to an emergency health bailout?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:24:17 PM by wmLambert »