Author Topic: Cooking with gas  (Read 3534 times)

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
Cooking with gas
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »
Does anybody else like to cook? I'm willing to admit there is one fossil fuel use I won't want to give up.

A gas cooktop is superior in every way. Induction is garbage, the pan has to stay directly on the stovetop. Electric ain't much better, you can't adjust the heat quickly enough. Also want my propane for gas grills.

Not trying to reheat the AGW discussion, or bring it to a boil, just wanted to disclose that I love to cook. :)

D.W.

• All Members
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking with gas
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »
Not me.  I congratulate myself for a batch of Tuna Helper finished without incident.   :-\

scifibum

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
I also like my gas stove, but there are times I wish I had an induction cooktop. Despite having a high-BTU stove, it takes too long to boil water. Too much energy just flies right past the pan into the exhaust vent.

On the bright side, there are renewable ways to produce combustible gas. It'll just get more expensive.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
Copper pan might help. I don't have one myself, but that might be a good reason. I'm assuming you're doing pasta or boiling veggies.

scifibum

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:24:07 PM »
Pasta or potatoes.

I wonder if I can (legally) get a 220v induction countertop burner.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »
Commercial kitchens use gas. Just saying.  :P

scifibum

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
Well, they also buy the product I was hoping for. Apparently such items (the models I just looked at) aren't supposed to be used at home, just in commercial kitchens.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
For potatoes, I think my water is always boiling by the time I've finished dicing my potatoes and other prep work.

For pasta, I'm usually making my own sauce (well, modifying a base) , so pasta water is the least of my time.

But I'm single so I don't have to go fast.

msquared

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 07:31:55 AM »
We have induction and love it.  As to grilling, if you are not using charcoal, you are just an amateur.

NobleHunter

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
Could one get an induction/gas cooktop? It seems like both would be best.

Grilling? You mean barbecuing?   ;D

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
We have induction and love it.  As to grilling, if you are not using charcoal, you are just an amateur.

I agree with the quality of charcoal, but it has serious drawbacks including temperature control. And ending with wtf do I do with all this ash.

Fenring

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 06:57:32 PM »

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:09 PM »
Barbecuing is something different than grilling, as fenring points out. It is not possible to barbecue with gas because the smoky flavor is the point.

This is another one of those common sloppy word usage situations.

msquared

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
I meant grilling. And the ash either goes into the garden or into a large bag and into the trash.

I have a charcoal grill that can do both grilling or smoking.  I tend to grill more than smoke, but have done both.

NobleHunter

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
I was just having fun with the grilling/bbq confusion. I enjoy petty linguistic cat fights.

DJQuag

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
Barbecuing is something different than grilling, as fenring points out. It is not possible to barbecue with gas because the smoky flavor is the point.

This is another one of those common sloppy word usage situations.

Hank Hill will remember what you said.

TheDrake

• All Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Hah. Propane and propane accessories!

Just signed up for two cooking classes at Sur La Table. Croissants this Saturday, and pasta next week. It's actually a pretty good deal, $59. Hands on. Too bad they'll make us use an induction plate. I took a gnocchi class a while back, and only the instructor could use the gas.  >:(