Author Topic: DWTS as proxy  (Read 1422 times)

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
DWTS as proxy
« on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
Dancing with the Stars, DWTS, brought on Sean Spicer to dance. Just announcing he was joining the cast caused outrage on the left (TDS affects every facet of their lives). Spicer was clearly cast to be the season’s sacrifice, thrown out early so the “real” competition has time to develop since Spicer is a cringey, laughably, bad dancer. It’s part of the DWTS formula.

But, something is happening. Spicer gets the low scores from judges that should see him out of the competition. Yet a massive wave of popular vote is overriding it and keeping Spicer in the competition.

It’s really pissing off the rest of the cast.

It’s interesting because this can be seen as a proxy for the 2020 election. The Trump base is who’s voting Spicer and keeping him going. The level of engagement and excitement to support Spicer is a proxy for the engagement and excitement to support Trump. This show is better than any DNC media outlet poll in demonstrating where the country is at this moment in time.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: DWTS as proxy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:24:08 AM »
DWTS is it's own disorder.  Don't mix up your meds trying to treat symptoms of both Crunch.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
The level of engagement and excitement to support Spicer is a proxy for the engagement and excitement to support Trump.

You're probably right. They are both bad at what they are doing, and yet enjoy fanatical support from 40% of the viewers. Or maybe the Russians are interfering with the votes... :P

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Spicer was clearly cast to be the season’s sacrifice

The problem with TDS is that it makes you think you can know 'clearly' the motivations and intentions of others are.

DWTS actually anticipated the likelihood of the scenario of trolls voting for the worst. I mean you don't have to be a stable genius to have guessed this would happen
Kind of embarrassing for Spicer. Worse then being picked last for the team is knowing your the worst and getting picked anyway. Even a pity vote would feel better then that.
Then again it might be his partner. She has a amazing body and its kind of fun watching how hard she works to distract.

Overall though, the idea that their is a troll movement from the right to vote for the worst doesn't surprise me. Its kind of their thing. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:53:39 AM by rightleft22 »

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
DWTS is it's own disorder.  Don't mix up your meds trying to treat symptoms of both Crunch.

I’ve only ever seen the highlights so don’t really know why it’s so bad. But it’s format engages a rather large swath of a the American public and has them express an opinion and this time the opinions are based on politics instead of quality of dancer. It’s easy to just sniff and dismiss it with some condescending bull*censored* rather than consider what’s going on in the general public, I get it. Something is driving a rather large groundswell along a political fault line and you’re not seeing this reflected n DNC media outlets.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
Spicer was clearly cast to be the season’s sacrifice

The problem with TDS is that it makes you think you can know 'clearly' the motivations and intentions of others are.

DWTS actually anticipated the likelihood of the scenario of trolls voting for the worst. I mean you don't have to be a stable genius to have guessed this would happen
Kind of embarrassing for Spicer. Worse then being picked last for the team is knowing your the worst and getting picked anyway. Even a pity vote would feel better then that.
Then again it might be his partner. She has a amazing body and its kind of fun watching how hard she works to distract.

Overall though, the idea that their is a troll movement from the right to vote for the worst doesn't surprise me. Its kind of their thing. :)

Please go out and tell this to everyone you know. It’s brilliant

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »

Thanks! 
I won a 20$ bet you would respond with something like that! A shadow cannot see its shadow  :-X

Also won a 20$ bet I made when DWTS posted that Spicer would be a on the show. The right's trolls would make a show like DWTS political and keep Spicer in the running for as long as possible as if that proved something other then perhaps they have to much time on their hands

Win win for me!

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
That whole genre is not about "talent" anyway.  It's about drama and upsets and... entertainment, which SOMETIMES is related to talent, but that's not required.  It's bottomfeeder TV.  <bah humbug>

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »

Thanks! 
I won a 20$ bet you would respond with something like that! A shadow cannot see its shadow  :-X

Also won a 20$ bet I made when DWTS posted that Spicer would be a on the show. The right's trolls would make a show like DWTS political and keep Spicer in the running for as long as possible as if that proved something other then perhaps they have to much time on their hands

Win win for me!

Awesome! You go keep winning! When you win like this, all of America wins.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:40:33 PM »
That whole genre is not about "talent" anyway.  It's about drama and upsets and... entertainment, which SOMETIMES is related to talent, but that's not required.  It's bottomfeeder TV.  <bah humbug>

Again, sounds like a proxy for our political system for at least the past few decades. Since TV.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
So much winning I'm tired of winning!

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
Dancing with the Stars, DWTS, brought on Sean Spicer to dance. Just announcing he was joining the cast caused outrage on the left (TDS affects every facet of their lives). Spicer was clearly cast to be the season’s sacrifice, thrown out early so the “real” competition has time to develop since Spicer is a cringey, laughably, bad dancer. It’s part of the DWTS formula.

But, something is happening. Spicer gets the low scores from judges that should see him out of the competition. Yet a massive wave of popular vote is overriding it and keeping Spicer in the competition.

It’s really pissing off the rest of the cast.

It’s interesting because this can be seen as a proxy for the 2020 election. The Trump base is who’s voting Spicer and keeping him going. The level of engagement and excitement to support Spicer is a proxy for the engagement and excitement to support Trump. This show is better than any DNC media outlet poll in demonstrating where the country is at this moment in time.

If I read correctly, Crunch just conceded that Trump is a "cringey, laughably bad" president, clearly cast to be the 2016 election's sacrifice so that Hillary could take her rightful throne, yet his wave of popularity overrides the intent of those that set up the election, in spite of Trumps actual performance.

If that's what you meant, Crunch, well-said and agreed.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can find me suggesting essentially that back in 2016. He was going to win because he was a bad, cringey choice.

However, the real intent was for him to get PR, and to torpedo the other Republican Candidates so he could pull an encore of what he did in 2012 to Romney, only that didn't go to plan in  2016.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
"The problem with practical Jokes is that they get elected" - George Benard Shaw