Author Topic: religious justification: the ends justify the means  (Read 470 times)

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
religious justification: the ends justify the means
« on: November 25, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »

“ ‘Mr. President … you said you were the chosen one,'…  ‘You were. … You are here in this time because God ordained you.’ ” … “God’s used imperfect people all through history. King David wasn’t perfect. Saul wasn’t perfect. Solomon wasn’t perfect,” Rick Perry

I don’t mean for this to be a bipartisan political thing.

I have heard many use this argument to reconcile their values with the values a someone they support but don’t like or even respect. 
Rick Perry uses King David and Kind Saul as example however these are men that fit into the strayed category which basically everyone falls into.

The biblical reference the defense is based on when God hardens the heart of Pharaoh to push the chosen people out of the nest or when he uses a foreign nation, ruler…  to punish his chosen people to get them to repent.  In the end it never terns out well for any involved. Not for the nations and rulers Gods uses or the people who turn to those rules to get the job done.  It’s always a lose lose. I’m defining lose as everyone ending up punished in the end.

Personally, when I hear Christian's using this argument as a justification for their position it makes me shiver. Better I think just be honest with themselves and and what they really value. What these Christian's are saying IMO is that the Ends trump Values.   Very OT but not so much NT.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: religious justification: the ends justify the means
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
Th e web is old enough that you can find 1990s Jewish justifications of Bill Clinton comparing him favorably to King David. Specifically they argued that it wasn’t a sin for David to use the cover of war to have Uriah snuffed our, and ok for mr Bill to start a war in Serbia to cover his own bathsheba follies.

This sort of satanic scripture twisting is par for the course for incest belt proleticians, but I was shocked hearing it from online Jewish communities in the 1990s.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:30:01 PM by Pete at Home »

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
“ends justify the means” is Machiavellian, not “Religion”
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »
Btw, nicolo Machiavelli, originator of the phrase “the ends justify the means”, is not exactly a Religious icon :D

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: religious justification: the ends justify the means
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:28:50 PM »
My neologism “proletician” (proles’ politicians tend towards demagoguery whether we speak of Trump or Marion Barry. The former’s power over poor ignorant whites parallel’s the latter’s power over paranoid ignorant blacks. And the more the “Other side” goes after the Proletician, the more his prole devotees see him as their man.

All this has nothing to do with ends justifying the means, and everything to do with pride and enmity.