Author Topic: Trump Justice Department Clears Clinton  (Read 795 times)

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
Trump Justice Department Clears Clinton
« on: January 10, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
OK, technically, CNN reports that the Justice Department has not found enough evidence to recommend opening a criminal investigation: Clinton Investigation Allowed to Languish.

So, will Trump stop calling for Clinton's incarceration? Clearly not; but will posters on Ornery cease implying that Clinton's activities were criminal?  Only time will tell...

What's interesting is that Trump supporters continue characterizing the Mueller investigation as a "hoax" and "witch hunt", even though it has led to hundreds of indictments and numerous convictions; whereas they still have no trouble chanting "lock her up" even in the face of a Trump Justice Department finding insufficient evidence to even open a criminal investigation.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Justice Department Clears Clinton
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »
I predict that most won't bat an eye. It will be:

A. a deep state coverup by the DOJ
B. an indication that hillary covers her tracks really well
C. she had a key witness killed
D. all of the above

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
Or simply continue to claim that the investigation is ongoing and has already uncovered serious wrongdoing that you will be shocked to hear about when the final report is submitted.  Hannity regularly takes that route.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:40:28 PM »

So, will Trump stop calling for Clinton's incarceration?

[/quote]

I thought that he renounced that goal the moment he was elected. I’ll look for the source.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Of course, Clinton being cleared of wrongdoing by Trump's own executive branch isn't about to stop the president from bashing Hillary nonetheless. (Never mind the fact that six of Trump's own associates have been convicted of crimes, or that private email use has reportedly been rampant throughout the Trump administration.) Less than an hour after the Post report came out, Trump was back on the campaign trail attacking Hillary, repeating his favorite 2016 talking points to a crowd of supporters—Clinton's innocence be damned. “Crooked Hillary—you should lock her up, I'll tell you,” Trump told supporters.

Answers both questions

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
CNN: Cillizza
Updated 10:52 AM ET, Fri January 10, 2020

(CNN) - "Lock her up!" the crowd at President Donald Trump's campaign rally in Toledo, Ohio, on Thursday night chanted. "You should lock her up, I'll tell you," Trump agreed.

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:01:35 PM »
Since when does the President tell his supporters to "lock up" a supposed criminal?

Isn't he in charge of that??  ???

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »
Since when does the President tell his supporters to "lock up" a supposed criminal?

Isn't he in charge of that??  ???

I would assume he just forgot how pronouns work.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
I see the reasoning of wanting to stop witch-hunts all around. In the case of Trump bashing Hillary don't forget this is not only a 'witch-hunt' for him but also a source of PR and amusement for his fans. Bashing people is part of what got him elected, just like "you're fired" was big on the Apprentice show. So don't expect him to stop just because there's no legal reason to do it anymore; it was never just a legal matter for him.

That said it's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison. In Trump's case we have "shady looking stuff" with no visible obvious crime and an investigation that did not lead to any obvious charges. In Hillary's case we have a definite crime which was public knowledge and not in dispute. The only question was whether ignorance and/or extenuating circumstanes made it so that she shouldn't have been charged with the crime. The FBI investigation on that one ended with "no reasonable prosecutor would charge her for this", which is very different from "we don't have enough to convict." Although technically it could potentially include that possibility.

Not trying to start another anti-Hillary thread, but these situations are not analogous and don't 'cancel out.'

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
You have to bend well to the right to take your position.  In fact Clinton was not accused of any crime, and 7 House and Senate investigations along with 2 FBI investigations failed to come up with one.  Now, even with Trump like a dog that won't let go of a bone, the DoJ has yet again failed to come up with a crime, this time for something that happened years ago and was already cleared by previous investigations by the FBI and the press.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
In Trump's case we have "shady looking stuff" with no visible obvious crime and an investigation that did not lead to any obvious charges
You mean, "no obvious crime" aside from the hundreds of charges laid, the multiple people in Trump's orbit who have pleaded guilty and been sentenced to prison, and the observation that Trump himself, though not currently eligible to be charged due to his position as president, engaged in obstruction?

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »
You have to bend well to the right to take your position.  In fact Clinton was not accused of any crime, and 7 House and Senate investigations along with 2 FBI investigations failed to come up with one.  Now, even with Trump like a dog that won't let go of a bone, the DoJ has yet again failed to come up with a crime, this time for something that happened years ago and was already cleared by previous investigations by the FBI and the press.

Strange, I seem to recall that it has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt that she mishandled classified information, as witnessed by Anthony Wiener's laptop. But hey, they cannot find evidence that she intended to mishandle it?

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 04:25:47 PM »

Strange, I seem to recall that it has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt that she mishandled classified information, as witnessed by Anthony Wiener's laptop. But hey, they cannot find evidence that she intended to mishandle it?

Regardless of the merit, nobody is re-investigating that. Just because the previous DOJ refused to pursue it doesn't mean it couldn't be done now. If that's not happening, then there's no way to lock her up for it. I'm sure that effort will start soon now that this effort failed.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
What's strange is that you think that, but it's not a surprise.  What is a surprise is that Trump hasn't launched yet another investigation into that, nor have Republicans in the Senate.  In fact, given how obviously guilty she must be of something somewhere, that's what's strange.

I think Republicans and conservatives in general need a Clinton Crimes version of Clue.  For instance, we know that Hillary killed Vince Foster in a NY Pizza Parlor with Polonium Tea.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:38:30 PM by Kasandra »