Author Topic: DNC Rule Changes  (Read 3964 times)

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
DNC Rule Changes
« on: February 01, 2020, 08:37:39 AM »
It’s pretty incredible, changing it all up right in the middle of the game. First up, let’s get the field of candidates “right”
Now that the DNC's donor threshold for participating in debates has driven out the Candidates of Color (TM) from the race -- such as Cory Booker, Juliannnn Castro, and, uh, "Beto" O'Rourke -- the DNC is now rescinding any need for a certain amount of money raised from donors, permitting Michael Bloomberg into the next debates.

LOL. The DNC says only old white men and they mean it. I mean, only old, rich, white men. The older and richer the better apparently if the current field is any indication.

But, that’s really not so important because a deal was made in 2016. Biden intends to hold the DNC to it and the DNC appears to do be ready to do whatever it takes to honor the deal:

A small group of Democratic National Committee members has privately begun gauging support for a plan to potentially weaken Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign and head off a brokered convention.
In conversations on the sidelines of a DNC executive committee meeting and in telephone calls and texts in recent days, about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal to ensure that so-called superdelegates can vote on the first ballot at the party's national convention. Such a move would increase the influence of DNC members, members of Congress and other top party officials, who now must wait until the second ballot to have their say if the convention is contested.

"I do believe we should re-open the rules. I hear it from others as well," one DNC member said in a text message last week to William Owen, a DNC member from Tennessee who does not support re-opening the rules.

What we’re seeing here is the rigging of an election. They’re doing everything they can to keep out anyone that could be a threat to Biden. When Warren got some traction, she got beat up in the media until she dropped out of contention. Anyone of color has been systematically handicapped and eliminated. Now, Sanders. Perhaps bloomberg is being positioned as a potential alternate or is just there to pump money into anti Trump commercials at candidate rates, providing cover for Biden.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: DNC Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 10:22:05 AM »
...What we’re seeing here is the rigging of an election. They’re doing everything they can to keep out anyone that could be a threat to Biden. When Warren got some traction, she got beat up in the media until she dropped out of contention. Anyone of color has been systematically handicapped and eliminated. Now, Sanders. Perhaps Bloomberg is being positioned as a potential alternate or is just there to pump money into anti Trump commercials at candidate rates, providing cover for Biden.

Yeah. Bloomberg has no charisma, Biden may be in prison, and Bernie still honeymooned in Moscow. Steyr may be the link in a brokered convention to get them back to Hillary. This is high-stakes poker played by nitwits.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »
about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal
So, 6 people out of, what, 300? Such drama...
Biden may be in prison
wmLambert, you really need to evacuate the echo chamber before you go completely deaf...

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
Biden may be in prison
wmLambert, you really need to evacuate the echo chamber before you go completely deaf...

No echo chamber, but you should look past imaginary conspiracy for the basis of truth. Look at the chronology. Biden's son got on the board. Biden initiated money and gas options to go to Burisma, then threatened the withdrawal of billions of dollars in aid unless the Ukraine stopped prosecution against his son. That is crime by statute, not presumption of motive that was never followed through. Once again, Trump is required to look at corruption where our money is involved. That means Biden must be investigated, indicted, and sentenced if he did what he bragged he did. Remember, motive is not a crime, but the act is. Why are you defending him with blinders on?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
wmLambert, you're not making it any better...

Here's a hint: if you read something that so perfectly fits into your world view - like, say Joe Biden threatening the withdrawal of billions of dollars in aid unless the Ukraine stopped prosecution against his son - stop.  Just stop.  Then look for evidence that the thing that so obviously fits your world view is incorrect, but here's the tricky part: do so with a truly open mind.  Yes, it will be hard.  But do it - you may find it educational.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:14:11 PM »
"...Bloomberg is being positioned as a potential alternate or is just there to pump money into anti Trump commercials..."

This is the working theory I've seen and the idea is that Bloomberg allows the Democrats to get around campaign finance laws because if he made a campaign contribution as a regular voter he would be limited in how much he could donate but as a so called, ahem, "candidate", he can spend an unlimited amount of his own money on anti-Trump ads. What we're basically seeing is the Democrats allowing a ringer into the contest to avoid campaign finance laws.

Of course I'll say up front that Trump can do the same so there is that. Shoe meet other foot. Some people thought Trump might just be a ringer too but that turned out not to be the case. Who knows? Maybe Bloomberg will end up being a similar surprise.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 09:02:40 AM »
about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal
So, 6 people out of, what, 300? Such drama...
You’re assuming those 6 are now and will forever be the only ones. Also, do you know who those 6 are and how influential they are? The DNC rigged it against Sanders in 2016, why do you believe they won’t do it again? Maybe you should “Read. Think. Understand.”

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 03:06:34 PM »
Given that they just barely added this rule to correct 2016 two years ago, I'm not surprised that some of those opposing the change would like to change it back.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 11:23:08 PM »
...look for evidence that the thing that so obviously fits your world view is incorrect, but here's the tricky part: do so with a truly open mind.  Yes, it will be hard.  But do it - you may find it educational.

What a smarmy bunch of insolent insult. You missed all the official Ukrainian reports that the Prosecutor who Biden demanded be fired was bringing action against Burisma. That is not a theory, nor disinformation. The idea that the prosecutor was totally corrupt, however, may be a conspiracy theory. I guess in your world of black and white, you get to ignore anything that rebuts your pet ideas.

Now, you can say that this prosecutor only reported the actions against Burisma after he was fired, but you then need to prove he was wrong, because he did say so. The oligarch was dropped from the demands that he return the US money he absconded with after Biden's people applied pressure to do so.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 12:48:13 AM »
What a smarmy bunch of insolent insult. You missed all the official Ukrainian reports that the Prosecutor who Biden demanded be fired was bringing action against Burisma. That is not a theory, nor disinformation.

I'm going to step in here and say that this entire affair is so filled with disinformation and politics that I find it hard to believe you can claim anything about it is obvious or clear. You can pretty much claims made that the prosecutor fired was looking into Burisma and was fired for that, and equal amounts of claims that he was in no way looking into Burisma and was fired for that! Now to be fair I haven't done an *extensive* survey of all sources to scour for logical inconsistencies and timeline irregularities, so I cannot comment on where on balance I think the truth lies here. But I see no valid reason to make the claim you make above as if it's a simple matter. We've had threads here with multiple links and timelines and where we as a group still can't make head or tail of it.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 07:47:45 AM »
Given that they just barely added this rule to correct 2016 two years ago, I'm not surprised that some of those opposing the change would like to change it back.

If Sanders wins Iowa, I suspect a lot will want to change it back. The DNC and its various media outlets has done everything they can to deliver the nomination to Biden. They won’t stop now.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 10:25:20 AM »
wmLambert, you're not making it any better...

Here's a hint: if you read something that so perfectly fits into your world view - like, say Joe Biden threatening the withdrawal of billions of dollars in aid unless the Ukraine stopped prosecution against his son - stop.  Just stop.  Then look for evidence that the thing that so obviously fits your world view is incorrect, but here's the tricky part: do so with a truly open mind.

It's a fascinating standard to call for the other side to apply, after we watched a fake impeachment run to ground.  At no point, did you stop to look for the evidence that the "thing that so obviously fits your world view" was incorrect, and certainly not with an open mind. 

But, we're talking about Biden, who there's no chance - and I mean zero - would survive an investigation at the level of scrutiny and bias that Trump has repeatedly been subjected to.

So, what is the "evidence" that would show the world view is incorrect?  It would have been fair to say that the case hasn't been made about Biden, that there are plausible explanations that aren't criminal.  But to claim there is "evidence" that shows it's incorrect?   That's more than a bridge too far, that's just a political assertion without a basis.

Or maybe you can list it out.  What evidence is there?  Is there some testimony we missed?  Some of the internal communications in the administration?  Something from Hunter?  I found it interesting, though for all I know it's nonsense (I've only heard Ingrahman say it), that the person people believe is the whistle blower seemed to have scheduled a meeting with a bunch of Ukranians investigating corruption (from visitor logs) in the White House right before Biden got the prosecutor pushed out.  Arguably to convey to Biden that his son's presence was impairing the ability of the prosecutors to deal with Burisma's corruption and undermining the message. 

If that's true - and if it were Trump, Schiff and the entire DNC would say it's true - Biden is guilty, and moreover, the "whistleblower" is not in fact a whistleblower but rather a material party to the illegal and corrupt transaction that Biden implemented and his report was in his direct self interest to try and prevent an investigation that would have implicated himself in federal crimes.

Again, something that seems like it should be investigated.  And not because I want a fake investigation, or to punish the other side, but because so much of this has NEVER added up, and the whistleblower being involved in illegal activity with Biden would literally make the whole thing make sense.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 10:38:29 AM »
Again, something that seems like it should be investigated.  And not because I want a fake investigation, or to punish the other side, but because so much of this has NEVER added up, and the whistleblower being involved in illegal activity with Biden would literally make the whole thing make sense.

Then why aren't Bill Barr and Mike Pompeo providing evidence of all this Biden wrong doing? Or pursuing their own investigation. All of that can be done without the president of Ukraine publicly announcing an investigation.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
Maybe they are Yoss.  But the Trump DOJ/FBI doesn't seem to engage in the same level of political leaks that the Obama versions did.

I mean, what have we heard out of the DOJ investigation that is being run into the 2016 election interference.  Just one statement, that they disagreed with the IG's conclusion that there was proper predication for the FISA warrants.  We know they empanelled a Grand Jury.  We have no idea who or what they investigating.  If they don't bring charges - we never will - the exact opposite of how the prior teams worked.

So I don't expect leaks.  No idea if we'll see charges.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 08:30:32 PM »
If you want to criticize the DNC for an actual  rule change instead of a far fetched hypothetical...

The Democratic National Committee is drastically revising its criteria to participate in primary debates after New Hampshire, doubling the polling threshold and eliminating the individual donor requirement, which could pave the way for former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg to make the stage beginning in mid-February.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 12:40:11 AM »
This caucus debacle is bananas.

Don't think of it as the Democratic Party stealing the election from Bernie. Think of it as vote redistribution

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 01:16:56 AM »

Don't think of it as the Democratic Party stealing the election from Bernie. Think of it as vote redistribution

This *censored* is hilarious.  One more nail in the coffin of Democracy.  I’m prepared to accept Liz Deuce as my Queen or RE Lee IV as my King and bring back Monarchy.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 01:32:23 AM »
The tweets from POTUS tomorrow are going to be hilarious.  The *censored*storm that will be summoned tomorrow will be apocalyptic, and for once, Trump doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 01:44:10 AM »

This *censored* is hilarious.  One more nail in the coffin of Democracy.  I’m prepared to accept Liz Deuce as my Queen or RE Lee IV as my King and bring back Monarchy.

Joking aside, one thing about a monarch is that they actually wield the power to prevent a powerful oligarchy of wealthy people from dictating terms to the general public. Yes, the monarch itself may dictate terms but from what I've read monarchs of old were in a sense more beholden to public opinion than faceless plutocrats are, as the public doesn't even know who they are.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 01:48:50 AM »

JFC, I guess it’s “whatever it takes” time. The Des Moine Register killled their poll showing Bernie the front runner and now the DNC is going all out. Incredible.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 01:56:53 AM »
DES MOINES, Iowa — Former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg is declaring victory in Iowa’s first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses, even though no official results have been reported.

Speaking to supporters late Monday in Des Moines, the Democratic presidential candidate says, “By all indications, we are going on to New Hampshire victorious.”

He adds: “Tonight, an improbable hope became an undeniable reality.”

LMAO. This may be the best move. Declare victory and insist you won. Why not? Probably only a matter of time before Stacey Abrams declares that she won the Iowa caucus.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 02:04:05 AM »
Marianne Williamson:
America, something went wrong here tonight and it wasn’t just an app. If an app goes down, there are such things as telephones. Then a moderate candidate came out and made this weird victory speech, while MSM started talking about what a good night this was for Mike Bloomberg.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 02:12:01 AM »
There we go, Sanders campaign just released a statement saying they won. Bernie’s results:

Bernie Sanders 30%
Pete Buttigieg 25%
Elizabeth Warren 21%
Joe Biden 12%
Amy Klobuchar 11%

Awesome. Truly epic what’s going on.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 07:33:37 AM »
This too good. So apparently the flawed app was developed by Shadow Inc. That company is operated by former Hillary staffers. Buttigieg has, over the last few months, funneled tens of thousands of dollars to Shadow Inc.

Amazing.

“Pete the Cheat” and “Mayor Cheat” are trending on social media.

At some point this will be blamed on Trump or Russians.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:26 AM »
Crunch gonna crunch but it's true that Bernie staffers were prepared for something like this and were reportedly takING screenshots and pics with their phones before the app "crashed."

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 10:15:15 AM »
"This is simply a reporting issue. The app did not go down, and this is not a hack or an intrusion. The underlying data and paper trail is sound and will simply take time to further report the results.”

You think the Bernie Bro’s are gonna go for this?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 10:35:40 AM »
Andrew Yang:

It might be helpful to have a President and government that understand technology so this sort of thing doesn’t happen.

Did I call it!?! LOL, it’s Trump’s fault the Democrats can’t count a few hundred votes in a high school gym. But for Trump, Democrats totally would have been able to count these votes and get them properly processed.

It’s only a matter of time before they blame the Russians.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »
I actually think that's more Yang saying that HE would be the president who understands technology vs a shot at Trump.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
"The Iowa Democratic Party says it plans to release at least 50% of results from caucuses on Tuesday at 4 p.m. CT."

Then, depending on how things are looking and how people are reacting, they'll release the other 80%.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
Keep giggling, crunch. You do realize that Republicans also have the exact same caucus system in Iowa, right? You'll have to try reach all the way back to 2016, where voters were influenced to believe that Ben Carson had dropped out of the race. Or maybe 2012?

In 2012, it was the Republican caucus that was a mess. Back then, Mitt Romney was named the winner of the caucuses by eight votes — a narrow victory, yes, but still a victory for the favorite to be the Republican nominee.

No paper trail for Romney either.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
"The Iowa Democratic Party says it plans to release at least 50% of results from caucuses on Tuesday at 4 p.m. CT."

Then, depending on how things are looking and how people are reacting, they'll release the other 80%.

Ha. Yeah, must be a little to Bernie still.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »
Keep giggling, crunch. You do realize that Republicans also have the exact same caucus system in Iowa, right? You'll have to try reach all the way back to 2016, where voters were influenced to believe that Ben Carson had dropped out of the race. Or maybe 2012?

In 2012, it was the Republican caucus that was a mess. Back then, Mitt Romney was named the winner of the caucuses by eight votes — a narrow victory, yes, but still a victory for the favorite to be the Republican nominee.

And how’d they go yesterday?  Dig up history all you want, at least it appears that some people can learn from it.  :o 8)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »

And how’d they go yesterday?  Dig up history all you want, at least it appears that some people can learn from it.  :o 8)

Yeah, we learn a whole lot from an uncontested primary.  ::)

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to watch so many people defend the shenanigans.

We *just saw* a populist saying crazy sh×t and telling everyone else to piss off win the presidency in 2016. Leave aside what a garbage human being he is. He did it. He won.

To see my own party knife themselves in the back and go so far as what happened last night is disheartening to say the least.

System is broken. We all seem to agree on that. And the political returns also seem to be aligning. We have a guy with a message like this :

https://youtu.be/Ikgh4JbAWUU

Now. I know the right leaners will reject the concepts but even they acknowledge that Sanders says what he means and means what he says. And that is what is going to win. Not another milksop centrist spending half their time apologizing for their warlike or Republican tendencies from back in the day.

You bring that speech, message, and energy to 2020 and we WILL win the populist battle. Except the DNC wants to run their little games for Biden or, if they HAVE to, Pete Buttigieg.

And if it does happen they won't even acknowledge what happened. It'll be "Bernie Bros," throwing the election because they were annoyed enough to sit home or throw out an "f you," vote.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »
Also as an aside it's pretty obvious Bloomberg has no real interest in being president, he's just using the spotlight, his indisuputable place as "60x richer and more successful then Trump," and, yes, his money to make Trump really angry. Reportedly he hates Trump. When you're that rich I wouldn't put it past him to spend his pocket change on trying to stroke a guy out that you dislike that much. Stroke hasn't happened yet but Trump's getting worked up lol.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:45:48 PM by DJQuag »

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
"60x richer and more successful then Trump"

Waitaminute.  If someone has negative net worth, how can you only be "60x richer?"  ???

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »
Whilst I chuckle at the sentimentism, Wayward, it's a bit Facebooky. Like, you know, what Crunch would forward to us from Facebook.

I would be much more interested in hearing your thoughts on the Killer Mike campaign speech.

Or even my other potentially offensive-to-the-left thoughts, as you are one of the people I actually look to on this board on that side of the spectrum.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:11:32 PM by DJQuag »

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2020, 04:11:32 PM »
And the company responsible for the election results is called Shadow Inc.

If anyone needed proof of the simulation, it's kinda staring you in the face.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
And the company responsible for the election results is called Shadow Inc.

If anyone needed proof of the simulation, it's kinda staring you in the face.

I've already come across some conspirary theories regarding them; e.g. their company is linked to Buttigieg in a few ways; employ people who worked for Hillary; etc etc. Personally I have a hard time believing that they had a 'software problem' here. Or if it was, like ScottF says, it was in Matrix software in trying to program the primaries to look like a Biden or Buttigieg win. Exit polls and rally attendence say otherwise. I read a report once by experts who examine the likelihood of election fraud, and their claim was that although exit polls aren't exactly accurate they tend to be within a certain degree of accuracy of the final tally. More than a certain % variance from expected and it becomes less and less likely that the results could be legit; e.g. if exit polls show 60% in favor of one candidate and the announced result shows 58% for that candidate, this would be within expected variance; whereas if instead the annouced result showed 40% for that candidate it might mean that there is only an infinitessimal chance there could be a variance of that magnitude. The variance for the 2016 DNC primaries, according to them, showed a variance that made it effectively impossible for the announced results to be accurate.

That being said, I will be curious to hear how the exit polls match up with the announced result. I checked online quickly and read some stuff about some entrance polls taken, so does anyone know if exit polling was actually conducted?

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
Also as an aside it's pretty obvious Bloomberg has no real interest in being president, he's just using the spotlight, his indisuputable place as "60x richer and more successful then Trump," and, yes, his money to make Trump really angry. Reportedly he hates Trump. When you're that rich I wouldn't put it past him to spend his pocket change on trying to stroke a guy out that you dislike that much. Stroke hasn't happened yet but Trump's getting worked up lol.

That thought reminds me of this quote from Wall Street. Sounds like a Bloomberg. Btw, he also handled the whole income tax return thing 6x better than Trump did. He mostly hid it, without being belligerent and giving people easily refuted excuses.

Wildman: I could break you, mate, in two pieces over my knees. You know it, I know it. I could buy you six times over. I could dump the stock just to burn your arse. But i happen to want the company, and I want your block of shares.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »

That thought reminds me of this quote from Wall Street. Sounds like a Bloomberg. Btw, he also handled the whole income tax return thing 6x better than Trump did. He mostly hid it, without being belligerent and giving people easily refuted excuses.

Wildman: I could break you, mate, in two pieces over my knees. You know it, I know it. I could buy you six times over. I could dump the stock just to burn your arse. But i happen to want the company, and I want your block of shares.

Yeah, that is why Bloomberg is pissing him off so much.

Bloomberg is a self made New York *actual* billionaire so many times more successful then Trump that even President https://youtu.be/hd7PVg1gWsc  can't deny he is richer or more successful then him.

God willing, we'll have the Democratic candidate Sanders, Warren, or...ugh. Biden. Running for President and Bloomberg happily spending money to rile up the president in *exactly the way we all know he'll be so pissed off by.*

Does anyone even doubt that if Bloomberg decided to spend his pocket money grabbing the President's attention that said President wouldn't buy it hook line and sinker?

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2020, 05:47:42 PM »
The oranges are what were most important.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
Now. I know the right leaners will reject the concepts but even they acknowledge that Sanders says what he means and means what he says. And that is what is going to win.

Sander is, in fact, a socialist. He says it and he means it. That part is undeniably true.

However, even the DNC knows there’s no way a socialist takes the election. If they frame this election as a choice between socialism and capitalism, Trump may win in the biggest landslide in election history. It’ll be a choice between the current economy or eating your pets to survive.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2020, 06:32:00 PM »
Now. I know the right leaners will reject the concepts but even they acknowledge that Sanders says what he means and means what he says. And that is what is going to win.

Sander is, in fact, a socialist. He says it and he means it. That part is undeniably true.

However, even the DNC knows there’s no way a socialist takes the election. If they frame this election as a choice between socialism and capitalism, Trump may win in the biggest landslide in election history. It’ll be a choice between the current economy or eating your pets to survive.

Lol. Let's make this one of those Gregdavidson  "State of California," things and let's see what happens. The GOP is absolutely terrified of Sanders because he is a populist *just like Trump* and what Sanders preaches talks to more people then the type of farmers getting foreclosed under Trump''s world who fell for his BS.

I apologize. Look. I will buy you a beer via PayPal even if what I expect to happen doesn't happen. Just to help calm you down my friend.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:46:35 PM by DJQuag »

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »

I guess you should be in the tank for the Bern, then. Am I going to hear you rooting for him all the way to the finish line, so that he can set up the win for your man Trump?

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

Lol. Let's make this one of those Gregdavidson  "State of California," things and let's see what happens. The GOP is absolutely terrified of Sanders because he is a populist *just like Trump* and what Sanders preaches talks to more people then the type of farmers getting foreclosed under Trump''s world who fell for his BS.

I don't know about this. People are generally more motivated by fear than aspiration. If Bernie gets the ticket, you will see an incredibly motivated republican base. The Bernie fans will be "that would be awesome, it's the way it should be!" and the Repub base will be more "holy sh$t, this would be our worst nightmare and fundamentally change what's made 'merca great - we can't let that happen!"

Fear Trump's hope when there's a call to action. See what I did there?

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2020, 10:27:41 PM »
I think you're confusing the voters that gave Trump the election with Republicans.

They weren't. They were the same people who looked at the system and said screw it, it's not working for me, let's try Obama. And then they did the same thing for Trump. I'm saying in 2020 they may well swing back to Sanders because they haven't seen much from Trump. If the system is inherently messed up then anyone promising to upend the system is going to have an advantage. Because while you may have benefited off of your Amazon shares, there is a big chunk of the country that is still not doing too well.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »

I guess you should be in the tank for the Bern, then. Am I going to hear you rooting for him all the way to the finish line, so that he can set up the win for your man Trump?

Nothing is certain but the odds of Americans voting in socialism are extremely low. So yeah, I’d like to see Bernie win the nomination. Go ahead, run an 80 year old with a bum ticker that’s a lifelong socialist who’s proposing tens of trillions in new spending. I like those odds.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2020, 12:52:04 AM »
I think you're confusing the voters that gave Trump the election with Republicans.

They weren't. They were the same people who looked at the system and said screw it, it's not working for me, let's try Obama. And then they did the same thing for Trump. I'm saying in 2020 they may well swing back to Sanders because they haven't seen much from Trump. If the system is inherently messed up then anyone promising to upend the system is going to have an advantage. Because while you may have benefited off of your Amazon shares, there is a big chunk of the country that is still not doing too well.

As long as there are humans with free will there will always be people not doing too well.  No system can fix that. The fact is the vast majority of voters are doing quite well by all objective standards, and I don’t think they’re prepared to hit ctrl alt del on the entire system quite yet.

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

Joking aside, one thing about a monarch is that they actually wield the power to prevent a powerful oligarchy of wealthy people from dictating terms to the general public. Yes, the monarch itself may dictate terms but from what I've read monarchs of old were in a sense more beholden to public opinion than faceless plutocrats are, as the public doesn't even know who they are.

I should have known you'd be on-board, Fenring.  Kings can indeed protect us from the shareholders of Chase Manhattan.