Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 65207 times)

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #1850 on: June 03, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
May 28

Gregg Gonsalves, codirector of the Global Health Justice Partnership and assistant professor of epidemiology (microbial diseases) at the Yale School of Public Health, has instead chosen to speak truth to power.

He says Donald Trump and his administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic as being akin to "genocide."

Gonsalves signed off on the letter that protests against racism are more important than stopping the spread of coronavirus.

Also Gonsalves:
The response to the pandemic reveals, again, who is disposable in America.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 03, 2020, 09:38:08 PM »
A lot of very responsible and respectable people are beginning to speak out about how Trump has mismanaged his responsibilities.  This isn't the thread to go into all of the reasons why they are doing that or why there is such a wide range of things they are speaking about.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 03, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
Hahaha .  Literally LMAO.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 04, 2020, 03:39:08 AM »

And the way I said it was so Minnesota nice, bless your heart...

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 04, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »

And the way I said it was so Minnesota nice, bless your heart...

Now that’s smarmy.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: June 04, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »
One of your better attempts.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:24:40 AM by Kasandra »

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: June 04, 2020, 06:55:43 PM »
Open 'er up, let 'er rip, baby!  Southern states that opened earliest are seeing the biggest increases in cases and deaths now, some have their highest totals ever.  It will get worse in big cities when the protest infections start to trickle in over the next 3-4 weeks.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 05, 2020, 01:05:15 AM »
And yet CDC, city and state officials all seem remarkably chill on the thousands openly gathering across the country.  Where's the finger-wagging we saw with parks and beaches?

Apparently we've established agreement on the definition of acceptable risk: racism and the police now constitute a bigger threat to the country than COViD-19. 

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 05, 2020, 01:46:19 AM »
Apparently we've established agreement on the definition of acceptable risk: racism and the police now constitute a bigger threat to the country than COViD-19.

Adherence to social distancing protocols for George Floyd's funeral was also rather poor I noticed in the clips I've seen of it on the evening news, and that was happening indoors. But I guess Black People no longer need to be worried about catching Covid19 as long as they're attending a funeral turned into civil rights event.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 05, 2020, 06:55:19 AM »
And yet CDC, city and state officials all seem remarkably chill on the thousands openly gathering across the country.  Where's the finger-wagging we saw with parks and beaches?

This is an interesting observation.  Think about the fact that you may be right without the dismissive note in your voice.  Which is worse, finger-wagging risk-takers or tear-gassing protesters?

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: June 05, 2020, 06:56:23 AM »

Adherence to social distancing protocols for George Floyd's funeral was also rather poor I noticed in the clips I've seen of it on the evening news, and that was happening indoors. But I guess Black People no longer need to be worried about catching Covid19 as long as they're attending a funeral turned into civil rights event.

Another dismissive (and disrespectful) observation.  Same question I asked ScottF.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 05, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »
Official announcement:
Authors retract study showing hydroxychloroquine was dangerous to hospitalized covid-19 patients

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 05, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »

This is an interesting observation.  Think about the fact that you may be right without the dismissive note in your voice.  Which is worse, finger-wagging risk-takers or tear-gassing protesters?

I'll take tone guidance from Kasandra under advisement.

Jennifer Nuzzo, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, tweeted on Tuesday. “In this moment the public health risks of not protesting to demand an end to systemic racism greatly exceed the harms of the virus.”

There we have it. Our disease experts are now telling us that systemic racism is a far greater threat than COVID. I genuinely wonder if Fauci feels the same way?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 05, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »
I wonder what other social causes represent a greater threat than something that will kill millions of people. That was the deal, 2.2 million gonna die!!! But hey, maybe it's worth it for the "right thing". Clearly the right thing is not being able to pay your rent or feed your kids.

In other related bad news:
The US unemployment rate surprisingly fell to 13.3% in May, as the economy gained 2.5 million jobs.

Democrats and NeverTrumpers hardest hit.

What are the odds we need another lockdown ASAP?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 05, 2020, 10:59:17 AM »
It is somewhat unsurprising - there will definitely be longer term effects on the economy, but as expected, some job losses will be very temporary.  It certainly doesn't sound like the economy has been "destroyed"

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 05, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
It is somewhat unsurprising - there will definitely be longer term effects on the economy, but as expected, some job losses will be very temporary.  It certainly doesn't sound like the economy has been "destroyed"

I'm sure the 10's of millions still out of work will take great comfort in that. You should put that on a sign and walk around downtown, help them see the light.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 05, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
Yes, and you should walk around hospitals with a sign congratulating people for having died as a result of CONID-19...

Silly, right?

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 05, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »

I'm sure the 10's of millions still out of work will take great comfort in that. You should put that on a sign and walk around downtown, help them see the light.

Or you could extend the enhanced federal unemployment benefits for a couple more months. The low wage workers who got laid off have been bringing in the highest incomes of their lives the last 2 months. I think there are issues with that and the benefits need to be re-scaled going forward so people aren't taking a pay cut to go back to work but I'm glad that put out something simple and relatively generous to get people through the worst of the crisis.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 05, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »

Or you could extend the enhanced federal unemployment benefits for a couple more months. The low wage workers who got laid off have been bringing in the highest incomes of their lives the last 2 months. I think there are issues with that and the benefits need to be re-scaled going forward so people aren't taking a pay cut to go back to work

This is a real thing. Businesses are reopening, reaching out to their lower-wage employees to come back and getting "no, I'm good" because it literally does represent a pay cut. Apparently people would rather stay at home and get free money. Didn't see that coming /s

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »
This is a real thing. Businesses are reopening, reaching out to their lower-wage employees to come back and getting "no, I'm good" because it literally does represent a pay cut. Apparently people would rather stay at home and get free money. Didn't see that coming /s

I know the intent of your post is vaguely anti-free money, but riffing off this it would be a very interesting experiment to see what happens to those lower-wage jobs in the case where the free money (e.g. a UBI) becomes permanent. Good luck attracting people to do annoying or tedious work when you're offering them a pittance and they don't literally need that crappy job to stay alive. The current balance of 'negotiation' puts people living hand to mouth in an impossible situation. I actually don't think you would even need a minimum wage in such cases, the market really would take care of the wage level at those low-level jobs once people weren't forced to take them. It should say something that the jobs and their pay are so unattractive that people would stay away from them except out of sheer necessity.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 05, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

Or you could extend the enhanced federal unemployment benefits for a couple more months. The low wage workers who got laid off have been bringing in the highest incomes of their lives the last 2 months. I think there are issues with that and the benefits need to be re-scaled going forward so people aren't taking a pay cut to go back to work

I would like to see any extension of benefits be scaled back or better scaled to income going forward. Maybe the lesser of: $300 per week on top of the state benefit or 80% of your previous income. 80% of income is the typical model used in Europe that seems to work pretty well. You take a pay cut being furloughed but 80% of your income should allow you to keep functioning in society, particularly when you remove most travel related expenses. But it also gives you incentive to go back to get the 20% boost in pay again and contribute to a more productive society.

Economically we would be poised to rebound quickly if we weren't reopening too soon. The virus is starting to tick up in the places that reopened earliest. A second wave of shut downs would be hard to handle. I wish we could have been as disciplined as Spain, Germany, or France and gotten new cases down to a really low level before restarting the economy. With the stimulus measures we put in place and a very low virus rate in society we would have had the V recovery that everyone wants. As it stands I'm worried we're in for either an extended period of phase 1 or 2 reopening with R hovering around 1.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 05, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »
Jennifer Nuzzo, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, tweeted on Tuesday. “In this moment the public health risks of not protesting to demand an end to systemic racism greatly exceed the harms of the virus.”

There we have it. Our disease experts are now telling us that systemic racism is a far greater threat than COVID. I genuinely wonder if Fauci feels the same way?

You quote an opinion from a single epidemiologist, but then say the opposite, I'm sure by accident.  It's that opposite view the compels people to protest.  I wonder if some diligent researcher could figure out how many deaths have been caused by systemic racism, an epidemic of vast extent, and tell us if that has killed more black people than racism.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 05, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
I wonder what other social causes represent a greater threat than something that will kill millions of people. That was the deal, 2.2 million gonna die!!! But hey, maybe it's worth it for the "right thing". Clearly the right thing is not being able to pay your rent or feed your kids.

The US unemployment rate surprisingly fell to 13.3% in May, as the economy gained 2.5 million jobs.

You do know that 13.3% unemployment is not a good thing, right?  Maybe not, since you are still fixated on early worst-case estimates of the potential fatality total from COVID.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 05, 2020, 12:39:10 PM »
Yes, and you should walk around hospitals with a sign congratulating people for having died as a result of CONID-19...

Silly, right?

Dude, you’re exactly like Fightin’ Ron. Amazing.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 05, 2020, 12:40:01 PM »

You do know that 13.3% unemployment is not a good thing, right?  Maybe not, since you are still fixated on early worst-case estimates of the potential fatality total from COVID.

I see the smarminess still rules your responses.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: June 05, 2020, 02:15:21 PM »
I see the smarminess still rules your responses.

I gotta say it's amusing that you and wmLambert keep misusing the word smarmy.  You guys can't talk without mistortions and making fabrications out of whole cloth.  13.3% is a bad number, but it is better than 13.4% or other numbers that are higher, but if that helps you believe that the coronavirus hoax has been exposed then be happy.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: June 05, 2020, 05:39:45 PM »

You quote an opinion from a single epidemiologist, but then say the opposite, I'm sure by accident.  It's that opposite view the compels people to protest.  I wonder if some diligent researcher could figure out how many deaths have been caused by systemic racism, an epidemic of vast extent, and tell us if that has killed more black people than racism COVID-19.

Damn!  edited after the fact....

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: June 05, 2020, 05:42:52 PM »
The argument that systemic racism is worse depends on the model. In the "do nothing" case, you could have a million dead in a full on rebellion.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 05, 2020, 06:50:40 PM »
The argument that systemic racism is worse depends on the model. In the "do nothing" case, you could have a million dead in a full on rebellion.

Now yer talking. Let's get Neil Ferguson or the IMHE folks to cook us up a fresh model so we can start preparing properly.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 05, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
So about the "everyone can get a test" thing. Just got off a call with my mother's long term nursing facility and they are testing staff every 10 days, but they never got the kits from the NH state government - even when they went in person to try to get swabs. Why 10 days? Because they don't even have tests for that much.

As for the "just keep the vulnerable people safe" this facility has been in full lockdown with PPE for a couple of months, but still had an outbreak.

As for the "asymptomatic transfer isn't a big deal" the worker who had it infected a resident despite full precautions.

Just anecdotes, but just sayin.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 05, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »

In a completely irreverent way, I can't help but appreciate the inherent irony of a meme that is now floating around.

About how thousands of people spent part of the past week screaming "I can't breathe" and dozens, if not hundreds of them may be on ventilation units before the end of the month for their efforts.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 05, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »

And I believe they've been instructed to report it if that happens as that becomes fraud on the part of their former employee at that point.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 05, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
Even if systemic racism is worse than the pandemic how does spreading the virus around help to get rid of systemic racism? If anything it facilitates more racism because the virus is killing a disproportionate number of people of color. These health officials or whoever they are making excuses for dropping our guard on social distancing and common sense precautions are doing a grave disservice to people of color and everyone else for that matter. Just anecdotally myself, I'm seeing the use of masks go by the wayside now when I go out, down from 85% or so to now maybe 40%. It's like the same klaxon that sounded to let the riots commence also gave the all clear for masks off. Not nearly as many people are taking this seriously anymore. In a way it's hard to blame them. Here we all are pitching in and doing our part, making an effort and sacrificing and for what? It's all for nought now with these protests and riots.

Yes, Daemon, unless the whole virus thing was the biggest hoax in history then there will be thousands of people soon enough who are also saying, "I can't breathe." And I don't think it was a hoax at all. This literally killed us.

The only good news recently is that since my blood type is O+ maybe that's why if that is what I had a while back I recovered okay. It seems it hits people with A type blood harder. I'm not certain I recovered completely though. Getting a kind of weird thing with my toes every now and then, like a strange tingling and pressure. It's hard to say though if it's anything. I've been trying to walk a lot, got some new shoes, so hopefully that's all it is. I take a baby aspirin and that seems to help.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 05, 2020, 08:35:30 PM »
The only good news recently is that since my blood type is O+ maybe that's why if that is what I had a while back I recovered okay. It seems it hits people with A type blood harder. I'm not certain I recovered completely though. Getting a kind of weird thing with my toes every now and then, like a strange tingling and pressure. It's hard to say though if it's anything. I've been trying to walk a lot, got some new shoes, so hopefully that's all it is. I take a baby aspirin and that seems to help.

I'm O+ myself, but my father is A+, over 70, with pre-existing condtions. Mom's O- and has her own pre-existing conditions on top of being 70+. So that perhaps slightly aprocryphal early report out of China may not bode too well for him in particular.

I am kind of curious about a certain other genetic marker that is believed to give people increased resistance to the Covid19 "spike protein" and seeing if I have it. Having done Genetic Genealogy on myself already, I've already been tested(as all the sites involved assay that marker), I just need to have the data parsed to look for that marker.... There is a reputable site that I could pay $20 to be able to look up specific markers from those tests on my own, but am undecided on doing so. Wouldn't really change anything I intend to do.

Although there also is a reason why AncestryHealth, 23andMe, and the other genetics testing companies are asking for confirmed covid19 cases to test with them(even offering free kits) and participate in their studies. I'm sure a lot of that interest centers around that one marker, and the hope they might find a few others too so they can justify reporting on it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:40:21 PM by TheDeamon »

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 05, 2020, 11:25:48 PM »

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 06, 2020, 05:55:52 AM »
Looks like the BLS screwed up the jobs report..  The actual unemployment rate is more like 16.3%:

When the U.S. government’s official jobs report for May came out on Friday, it included a note at the bottom saying there had been a major “error” indicating that the unemployment rate likely should be higher than the widely reported 13.3 percent rate.

The special note said that if this “misclassification error” had not occurred, the “overall unemployment rate would have been about 3 percentage points higher than reported,” meaning the unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent for May.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the agency that puts out the monthly jobs reports, said it was working to fix the problem.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 06, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »
And it begins.

Coronavirus: 72 people in Wisconsin test positive after attending 'large gathering' as state sees stay at home protests

Seventy-two individuals who tested positive for Covid-19 in Wisconsin recently attended a “large-gathering” before their diagnosis, according to a report.

According to The Progressive, the state's Department of Health Services (DHS) confirmed that they had gathered tracing data on a number of people who had contracted the virus.

“We were able to pull some limited data—out of 1,986 cases with onset/diagnosis on or after 4/26, there were seventy-two cases who reported attending a large gathering," DHS spokesperson Jennifer Miller was quoted as saying in an email to The Progressive.

But - surprise! These aren't the recent protests because it is too soon for those to show up. These were the protests demanding that the state reopen.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 06, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
Because wearing a mask would have made him look bad.

A Maine factory said they will discard COVID-19 nasal swabs made during a visit by President Trump on Friday.

“The running of the factory machines is very limited today and will only occur when the president is touring the facility floor,” Company marketing manager Virginia Templet told USA Today. “Swabs produced during that time will be discarded.”

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 06, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
1000 health officials signed a letter yesterday:

"However, as public health advocates, we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission...This should not be confused with a permissive stance on all gatherings, particularly protests against stay-home orders."

Attention citizens!
You may (and should!) gather for legitimate protests. You may NOT gather for protests that are not legitimate. The Pandemic Council will determine what is legitimate and continue to inform you as to which protest causes are acceptable and which are not.
Attention Citizens!

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 06, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
WTF, Utah?

tsunami of new cases after reopening

I wanted to think they were just testing more, but the testing levels are about the same as before. Have reports from friends there that many of the bars have recklessly disregarded all of the guidelines. And that's just for starters. They relaxed protocols 21 days ago, so the timing makes it pretty clear what happened.

Salt Lake County wanted to wait 10 more days and the Governor overrode them and said "full steam ahead, boys!"

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: June 06, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
I don't think just looking at the protocols is enough. It was suggested right at the start that there may be difficulties motivating the population to actually care about the measures. Around where I live you can kind of tell that no one gives a crap anymore. Groups of 5-10 kids are going around town as if it's normal, I passed by a maybe 100 person giant BBQ in the park (not socially distanced), and generally people are congregating indiscriminately much more than before. There *has been* a loosening of restrictions, but it's not that the opening up of business that made the difference, it's that people just really want to be done with it and they'll take any excuse.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: June 07, 2020, 04:10:28 AM »
The Governor of Michigan removed most of the restrictions on Friday.  Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day with the temperature at about 80F where I am, so my wife and I drove to a popular riverside park that has been deserted during the shutdown to take a walk.  The parking areas were completely full and spilled over into the adjacent school lot.  There were more people in bathing suits, groups of walkers, bikers and picnickers than I have ever seen there before, maybe 500-800 people in all.  We saw about half a dozen people wearing masks and nobody was keeping their distance from anyone else.  It was as if everyone had woken up from a bad dream.  We gave up and went somewhere else.

We'll find out by the end of July if there will be a tsunami of new cases and deaths here, as there has been in about 10-15 other states in the past week or so.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: June 07, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »
The Governor of Michigan removed most of the restrictions on Friday.  Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day with the temperature at about 80F where I am, so my wife and I drove to a popular riverside park that has been deserted during the shutdown to take a walk.  The parking areas were completely full and spilled over into the adjacent school lot.  There were more people in bathing suits, groups of walkers, bikers and picnickers than I have ever seen there before, maybe 500-800 people in all.  We saw about half a dozen people wearing masks and nobody was keeping their distance from anyone else.  It was as if everyone had woken up from a bad dream.  We gave up and went somewhere else.

In my own county we had our first death a few days ago, a 65YO male with pre-existing conditions. Turn out he contracted it from attending a family gathering at the end of May. Several other family members also contracted covid19 from that family reunion event.

Oops. Somebody turned up who should have remained at home.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: June 08, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »
Unfortunate that it wasn’t a protest. Would’ve been safe then.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: June 08, 2020, 02:05:37 PM »
From CNBC
“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

Are you *censored*ing kidding us? Many of you still tout asymptomatic spread as a real issue and it's all bull*censored*. Utter bull*censored*.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: June 08, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »
If it's so rare, how come so many people catch it from casual interactions with other people who don't think they're sick?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: June 08, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »
Do you think the WHO is lying to us? And just how many really are catching it from "casual interactions"? Who is telling us this is so?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:11:45 PM by Crunch »

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 08, 2020, 02:12:08 PM »
Do you think the WHO is lying to us? And just how many really are catching it from "casual interactions"? Who is telling us this is so?

Didn't you get a rise when the WHO said masks should be avoided except when in the presence of someone with clear COVID symptoms?  Well, they changed their minds about that, too.  As to WHO is telling you so, check out all of the web sites that track these things.  If you are willing to be informed, that is.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 08, 2020, 02:20:15 PM »
I objected to the use of t-shirts as effective masks. We all know that is bull*censored*.

Now we know that the asymptomatic spread was also bull*censored*. All the models were bull*censored*. Literally every single reason we were told justified putting 40 million out of work was bull*censored*. Literally every single reason protesting the lockdown was so damn dangerous has now been exposed as bull*censored*.

This whole thing was one big exercise in scaring people witless with unmitigated bull*censored*.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »
I'll give you a hand here, Crunch:

Shutdown orders prevented about 60 million novel coronavirus infections in the United States and 285 million in China, according to a research study published Monday that examined how stay-at-home orders and other restrictions limited the spread of the contagion.

A separate study from epidemiologists at Imperial College London estimated the shutdowns saved about 3.1 million lives in 11 European countries, including 500,000 in the United Kingdom, and dropped infection rates by an average of 82 percent, sufficient to drive the contagion well below epidemic levels.

The two reports, published simultaneously Monday in the journal Nature, used completely different methods to reach similar conclusions. They suggest that the aggressive and unprecedented shutdowns, which caused massive economic disruptions and job losses, were effective at halting the exponential spread of the novel coronavirus.