Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 1975 times)

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
Twitter
« on: March 01, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
Based on this, it’s seems a few of you (maybe most) are really unaware of social media:
As for social media - yes, we understand that your social media echo chamber is likely where you get most of your 'info'

So, Twitter:
But the people who build Twitter are biased, Dorsey admitted in an interview last month, saying out loud what everyone already knew: Twitter, like most tech companies in Silicon Valley, has a lot more left-leaning employees than right-leaners.

Twitter is so liberal, in fact, that conservative employees “don’t feel safe to express their opinions” within the company, Dorsey told NYU journalism professor Jay Rosen in a new interview published today on Recode Media.

Yeah, it’s a real conservative echo chamber, ain’t it? There are studies done showing conservatives on Twitter are 4 times more likely to be suspended than liberals, often for vague reasons or reasons completely irrelevant to the flagged post or sometimes even for no reason at all.

Quite the echo chamber for conservative thought, ain’t it?  Deplatforming is not unusual for conservatives in all of social media.

I follow about 300ish accounts on Twitter with some churn always going on. Many media outlets at all levels, many politicians at all levels, and pundits as well as thought leaders. It’s probably about a 80/20 mix on political leanings but thanks to quote tweets and sub tweets I see a lot further than just my selected accounts. Given the overwhelming liberal bias of the site, it’s nearly impossible to create the echo chamber some of you imagine.

However, Twitter may be changing.

A major Republican donor has purchased a stake in Twitter and is reportedly seeking to oust its chief executive, Jack Dorsey.

Bloomberg News first reported that Elliott Management has taken a “sizable stake” and “and plans to push for changes at the social media company, including replacing Dorsey”.

Paul Singer, the billionaire founder of Elliott Management, is a Republican mega-donor who opposed Donald Trump during the real-estate magnate’s run for the presidential nomination but has since come onside.

It might actually become a company where people feel safe to express their opinions and the real echo chamber of liberalism is promoted to a fair, open, conversation.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »
I thought your original point was referring to the millions of twitter users and their tweets, not the employees of twitter?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
It’s both. The point is that it’s not a conservative echo chamber and that’s by design. It has created a strong liberal user base. The employees push a hard left agenda and, for a conservative, that makes it extraordinarily difficult to create a conservative echo chamber.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
If you're going to quote my post, but then only pretend to respond to the point, why waste your time?

Your particular social media echo chamber has little to do with what is generally available on social media as a whole.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
It’s not all about you. Didn’t anyone ever tell you that? Jesus, you’re a narcissist.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »
What a brilliant response, Crunch!  Absolutely nobody noticed that you quoted my words to begin your earlier post, so obviously nobody will notice that your most recent post is a flaming non sequitur.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
Yes, Twitter and Facebook are run by Leftists with little regard for fairness. That makes what Trump has done so outstanding. (Any topic about Twitter seems to be all about Trump's use of it.)

He took notice of the whole foolishness from Bush 43 trying to emulate Reagan. (He modeled his administration more after Reagan than his own father.) Bush 43 thought Reagan stayed out of arguing with the media, when what he really did was go around them and make them respond to him - not the other way around. Reagan never allowed any baseless charges rest unrebutted, but just didn't allow the MSM be the dispenser of his words. He truly understood how to use the Bully Pulpit. Bush 43 just buried his head in the sand, assuming the media would seek truth and correct disinformation. Truthfully, in fifty years they may correct some of the lies, but not contemporaneously. We like to say the winner writes the history, but really, journalism, these days, is not about history, but about activism.

Trump recognized that and conceived a Bully Pulpit under the ostensible control of the Leftists, that he could use without their paraphrasing everything he says. Yes, his short, minimalistic tweets can be maddening at times, but the whole concept is brilliant.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 07:22:40 AM »
What a brilliant response, Crunch!  Absolutely nobody noticed that you quoted my words to begin your earlier post, so obviously nobody will notice that your most recent post is a flaming non sequitur.

Now, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. Sorry about that. I used your post to provide context as I didn’t want to derail the other thread. Yes it was your post. You made it. All by yourself. You’re smart enough, you’re good enough, and doggone it, people like you.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »
Trying to moderate much of the tech sector away from it's leftist leanings is a Sisyphean tasking for the time being.

The Tech Sector is highly reliant on people coming out of Universities which are essentially Leftist indoctrination centers. Sure some people resist, but even among the ones who resist, a significant number of those people are likely to be deficient for other reasons.

Anyone trying to move the needle to the right in many of those organization at this time is likely to be faced with large scale walkouts and other disruptions of their ability to carry out business if they push hard/far enough. Basically, you're likely to destroy your business if you try.

We already saw a much earlier iteration of this play out with the Mozilla Corporation several years back when it's President was forced to resign, amid widespread employee protest, after it came to light that he was one of the supporters of Proposition 8 in California when the donor list was leaked.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
Yes, if only twitter would hire a bunch of mouth breathing proud boys instead.