Author Topic: Who’s got it?  (Read 3426 times)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Who’s got it?
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »
I’m confused. Should I be panicking and tweeting this or just keeping up with my social distancing and sitting tight. Please advise.

You should be worried and diligent. If you aren't worried, you won't be diligent. If you aren't worried for yourself, you should be worried for others around the world and in your local community. If you are panicked, you'll buy a bunch of goods for no reason and negatively impact your neighbors, so don't do that. You should broadcast and reinforce that point of view via any communication channel you use, facebook and other social media, phone calls, email, etc.

Was this really confusing to you?

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »
No, it was just snark. I'm not a fan of a thread who's purpose is to point out individual deaths and "I heard of a guy in Albuquerque.." To your point, diligence is the correct motion but I don't find this a productive or interesting thread. My 2 cents and I'll just stay out of it from now on.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
I didn't start this thread yo point out individual deaths nor to see if anyone here died. I meant for it to be a place where anyone contracting the illness to have a lifeline, albeit a meager one.  If you're in my area and you're sick, let me know. Happy to help out if you need anything. That's really the only point.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:53 PM »
I didn't start this thread yo point out individual deaths nor to see if anyone here died. I meant for it to be a place where anyone contracting the illness to have a lifeline, albeit a meager one.  If you're in my area and you're sick, let me know. Happy to help out if you need anything. That's really the only point.

That's the way I took it. I think personalizing it helps for some. It can be hard to grasp 600,000 sick people and climbing, but a personal connection cements it and encourages more good habits for some.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »
Idaho has 4 deaths now, another person over the age of 80 with pre-existing conditions, but oddly they didn't seem to know the gender in the report I caught. It was a case in Northern Idaho.

Blaine is now up to 98 cases, 2 deaths.
Ada + Canyon county are now up to a combined 99 cases and 1 death, so the Boise Valley has now overtaken Blaine on the case count. Total count statewide is now at 230, so we doubled out count in 2 days, mostly due to results in the Boise Valley.

312 cases now, holding at 6 deaths. Not quite a tripling of cases over the span of 4 days(would need 369, we have 312). Also short of a doubling in 3 days(would need 378 cases). So the rate of growth seems to be slowing down in Idaho as a statewide metric, we're still on track to double every 3 to 4 days at present.

Blaine now has 115 cases so they've less than doubled over the past 4 days(would have needed 130 cases)

Ada County is another matter, at 113 cases, and Canyon county has another 40 for a combined total of 153 cases across the countries that comprise the Boise River Valley, nearly triple the "40ish" I reported on the 25th, and nearly dead-on for doubling their numbers from the 26th for a doubling in 3 days.

There now are 3 counties in the state with 3 cases each; 2 Counties in Eastern Idaho -- All travel related; the other county has become a bedroom/commuter community for the Boise Valley so those are probably "community spread" from working in the Boise/Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell sprawl.

Northern Idaho still only has the two counties with 4 and 16 cases respectively, their numbers are holding pretty steady. The rest of the counties in the state are holding at 2 or fewer cases each. Most are still at 0.

2 days later:
Idaho now has 525 cases and 9 deaths. (312 two days ago(29th), 267 three days ago(28th), 230 four days ago(27th))
Ada County(Boise) has 195 cases(113 two days ago)
Canyon County (Nampa/Caldwell) has 53 cases(40 two days ago)
So they have a combined total of 248 cases between them, compared to 99 cases four days ago.

Blaine County has 192 cases(115 two days ago, 98 four days ago; schools were closed in the 14th, self-isolation was ordered for the county on the 20th)

Kootenai county(next to Spokane, WA) has jumped to 30 cases from 16 on the 29th. No other county is in the double digits as of yet. Most counties still have 2 or fewer infections confirmed, although there now are 7 counties in the 3 to 9 range. (44 counties in the state) The other county in northern idaho which had 4 cases on the 29th now had 9 cases today.

Also, Idaho experienced a 6.5 Earthquake not far to the north and west of Blaine County this evening... Which also put it fairly close to Boise as well(about 75 miles NE of Boise)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:49:00 PM by TheDeamon »

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2020, 04:43:00 AM »
Community spread has now been confirmed as happening in single cases in 3 different counties in Eastern Idaho, and a fourth county has an advisory saying one of their "travel related" cases visited a restaurant on 3 different days over a week ago so anyone who went there needs to take precautions(nevermind if someone caught it on the guys first visit, they've possibly been contagious since the 26th) thankfully the Governor shut the entire state down on the 25th so he might have helped us dodge a bullet over here.

Now to see what else unfolds over the next week. The good news is it took this side of the state until a week after the shutdown before the community spread cases started to turn up in hospitals. Bad news is because there were no community spread cases reported over here, there were a lot of people who were not truly honoring the shelter in place order.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2020, 11:38:13 PM »
Idaho now has 525 cases and 9 deaths. (312 two days ago(29th), 267 three days ago(28th), 230 four days ago(27th))
Ada County(Boise) has 195 cases(113 two days ago)
Canyon County (Nampa/Caldwell) has 53 cases(40 two days ago)
So they have a combined total of 248 cases between them, compared to 99 cases four days ago.

Blaine County has 192 cases(115 two days ago, 98 four days ago; schools were closed in the 14th, self-isolation was ordered for the county on the 20th)

Kootenai county(next to Spokane, WA) has jumped to 30 cases from 16 on the 29th. No other county is in the double digits as of yet. Most counties still have 2 or fewer infections confirmed, although there now are 7 counties in the 3 to 9 range. (44 counties in the state) The other county in northern idaho which had 4 cases on the 29th now had 9 cases today.

Also, Idaho experienced a 6.5 Earthquake not far to the north and west of Blaine County this evening... Which also put it fairly close to Boise as well(about 75 miles NE of Boise)
And then things continued to explode. And things touch on the more obscure.
Idaho has a single Sam's Club warehouse located in Idaho Falls(Bonneville County), we'll get back to that in awhile.
Idaho has Costco locations in Boise(Ada County), Caldwell(Canyon Count), Twin Falls(Twin Falls County), Pocatello(Bannock County) and Coeur d'Alene(Kootenai County), not far to the east of Spokane, Washington.

Twin Falls is about a 70 mile drive from the county seat of Blaine County(home of the Sun Valley Ski resort)

Kootenai County was the Northern Idaho county with 16 cases on the 29th and 30 on the 31st. By April 1st, they had 36, and 37 on the Second where things are holding currently.

Twin Falls County had 17 cases on the 1st, up considerably from 2 on the 29th, and less than 9 on the 31st. By the second, they were up to 32, and up to 33 cases and one death as of today. Every county between Twin Falls and Blaine County now have community spread. (7, 11, and 33 in Twin Falls county respectively) Every county within 60 miles of Twin Falls now have active Covid19 cases, although not all counties have community spread just yet, although 2 of the involved counties also have Ada County(Boise) as neighbors.

Bonneville County, where Sam's Club is located now has "community spread" happening within its borders with 3 known cases, and known community spread in 4 of its 5 adjoining counties as well. (1 of those counties is also adjacent to Bannock County, where the Costco is) The Idaho Falls Sam's Club is also the closest discount membership warehouse to Jackson Hole, WY. That said, even with community spread known to be happening, they only have 5 confirmed cases in the county.

So far Bannock County has not had any confirmed community spread cases as of yet, even with a 5th infection now confirmed, as that person had been traveling in areas where community spread is known to be happening. Of Bannock's 5 neighboring counties, only 1 of them have any known Covid19 cases. 31 of the state's 44 counties now have confirmed cases of Covid19. But going by the case counts for other counties with a regional shopping draw, I guess this also might help cement a long-standing joke about Pocatello not being a place people go to unless they have no other choice, who knew that could be a good thing in a pandemic?  8)

Ada County's woes have continued, 195 cases on March 31st became 226 on the 1st, 307 on the 2nd and 351 as of today.
Canyon County has also gone from 53 cases on the March 31st to 68 on the 1st, 79 on the 2nd, and 89 as of today.

Blaine County had 192 cases on the 31st, 256 on the 1st, 351 on the 2nd, and 405 as of today's report. Which now works out to 1,839 cases per 100,000 people(County only has 22,000-ish residents; Compared to New York City's estimated 18.8 Million residents, that would be equivalent to 345,372 confirmed cases and 372 deaths(they still have 2 deaths).. some things just don't scale the way you'd expect.)

Statewide, they had 110 new cases on the 31st, 144 on the 1st, 222 on the 2nd, and 122 on the 3rd. Total Case count is now 1,013 with 10 deaths, 47 health care workers infected, and 62 hospitalizations reported. Weirdly they're reporting only 8 people being admitted to an ICU so I'm not sure how to reconcile that against the death count unless they're reporting currently hospitalized/in ICU rather than what it seems to be suggesting...

https://public.tableau.com/profile/idaho.division.of.public.health#!/vizhome/DPHIdahoCOVID-19Dashboard_V2/DPHCOVID19Dashboard2

I'd almost want to say the curve is flattening in Idaho, but I think the spike on the 2nd probably was a few large clusters of people who had close contact with other confirmed cases getting confirmation that they too were infected. Conversely, that the case growth rate statewide seems to be linear at this point rather than exponential is probably a good sign. Not sure what was up with Blaine's 100 person spike on the 2nd, particularly as that marked day 14 of their country-wide lockdown starting, as opposed to the statewide one. Will have to wait to see what develops there.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
64 new cases today, down from 122 on Friday and 222 on Thursday.

Blaine County added 5(405 to 410),  34 new cases in Ada County(351 to 385), Canyon county added 10(89 to 99), Twin Falls county has 4 more, Kootenai county gained 3. It seems that things are tapering off, but remembering what happened last weeked, I think this may be a result of many doctor's offices being closed over the weekend and people not being sick enough to feel a hospital visit is warranted--so fewer test referrals are happening and thus fewer new cases being reported. Will have to see how Sunday and Monday's numbers look. I'm expecting a repeat of last Monday/tuesday where numbers spike once again.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2020, 01:30:51 AM »
We're pretty sure that my brother's family on the other side of my state has Covid19, thankfully he's on the tail end of it and improving, but his kids are now showing symptoms. He has congenital heart condition, on top of being obese(but not diabetic), so he was one of the higher risk members of the family to contend with it, so at least there is that.

In a strange for twist him, he never came anywhere close enough to being sick enough for the state to try to test to verify it is Covid19, and as his employer sent him home for having a cough, he's using personal days in the interim. But the company is willing to reimburse that personal leave time--if he has a positive Covid19 test result, which he cannot get because he never was sick enough to even get the test. I jokingly asked if they'd reimburse him if he comes back positive on an antibody test once they're available, he's (rightfully) very doubtful of that.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »
Just found out a co-worker tested positive. She had what she thought was a sinus infection the last week or so we were in the office and got the results back yesterday that she actually had WuFlu either then or since we went into lockdown.

I sit in the cube right next to her, interacted with her multiple times a day, talked to her several times about the sinus infection (we even joked about her getting the 'rona).

If anyone else in the office caught it, they're asymptomatic it seems.

She took antibiotics for a sinus infection, pretty standard care for that. Got over it in about a week and is back to normal with no noticeable side effects.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »
First personal touch for me. My friend positive but symptoms mild enough to avoid hospital. She and her partner are under strict quarantine, no leaving the house for any purpose. They had to figure out how to get groceries when most deliveries are at least a week lead time. I offered to give them a no contact delivery, but they don't think they need it.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2020, 12:15:45 AM »
We got a nearby "pop-up" testing site this Sat.  Think I'm going to go.  I was sick the last week of March on through the first week of April.  Still not 100%.  Never got bad enough to go into hospital.  Did the whole e-visit thing and doc said it sounded viral and could include COVID-19.  Said it would be prudent to let my coworkers know.  (which I did, and all were fine)

"Generally, younger, healthy individuals with mild illness do not need to
be tested. You should stay home for 7 days, or 72 hours after all symptoms
have resolved, whichever is longer. Additionally, testing is not
recommended in people who are not experiencing certain symptoms. A
negative test result does not rule out an infection.

If your symptoms worsen, particularly if difficulty breathing develops,
please contact your PCP or call 911 if immediate medical assistance is
needed."

This was April 13th so tests were (are?) still in short supply.    Well, symptoms never worsened beyond that.  Got a script for a cough suppressant that didn't seem to help, but even that's not bad.  Just won't go away.  :P

Again.  No clue if I did/do have it.  Had my flu shot but never know what a regular damn cold + stress could do to your body I suppose.  I would say I'm pretty sure, but my exposure probability is so ridiculously low it makes little sense unless it can sit around for either 2-4 weeks before you show symptoms.

Got no idea how the test reports if you are already through the worst of it...  Anywho, makes me wonder what the "real" numbers are if anyone that wasn't having life threatening symptoms was told to tough it out at home.

Also, hello again.  Been away for awhile.   ;D

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2020, 02:07:04 AM »
Hi D.W.! I had been wondering whether you still stopped by sometimes.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
It had been awhile.  Catching up now.  :)

Aris Katsaris

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
You should stay home for 7 days, or 72 hours after all symptoms
have resolved, whichever is longer.

Sidenote: I was initially baffled at this: "Umm, aren't 7 days always longer than 72 hours"?
On reread I realized it meant
(a) 7 days
or
(b) 72 hours after all symptoms have resolved
whichever of (a) or (b) is longer.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2020, 12:19:20 AM »
That bothered the hell out of me too at first.  I'm claiming excessive fatigue at the time though.  :P

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2020, 01:37:28 AM »
https://localnews8.com/news/local-news/2020/05/08/covid-19-antibody-test-results-reported/

Crush the Curve Idaho is reporting the first results of its COVID-19 antibody testing in Idaho Falls and Pocatello.

The group has been testing in Idaho Falls since April 27.  It finished last week with a total of 2,319 tests.   25 of those were positive for a rate of 1.07%.

In Pocatello, testing started April 29.  1,981 persons were rested and 15 came back positive for a rate of .76%.

Going to their main site:

https://crushthecurveidaho.com/idaho-covid19-tracker

TOTAL ANTIBODY TESTS
(TODAY: +2,004)
These are tests for people who are NOT actively sick, but suspect they have contracted COVID-19 and already recovered.

TESTS POSITIVE
(TODAY: +10)
% POSITIVE
1.62%
(TODAY: 0.81%)

So even with Blaine County having been a major early hotspot for Covid 19, it seems that Covid19 didn't leave much of a footprint behind in the populations that they've sampled so far. It's hovering in the 1 to 2% infection rate across the areas in the state that they've been testing.

Even more importantly, these were antibody tests for people who believed they had contracted Covid19 previously but were unable to be tested at the time of the infection being active. So it isn't even truly 1 to 2% of the state population, it's 1 to 2% of the population who believed they'd already had it and subsequently turned out to have tested positive for antibodies indicating they probably did get infected.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
A friend of mine who was very sick with covid symptoms turned up negative. She and her boyfriend were both going to come to dinner at my house and had to cancel when she started showing symptoms.

A worker in my mother's nursing home just turned up positive, asymptomatic. Hoping those protocols kept him from infecting anyone else. They are doing regular screenings, that's how they found it.