Author Topic: covid-19 outside the US  (Read 6175 times)

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: covid-19 outside the US
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »
This may be a funny question, but who cares about what Brazil is reporting? Why focus on them if they're so wacky?
Because this topic is literally named "covid-19 outside the US", and Brazil is #2 in deaths worldwide and making all the noise.

Yes, I know it's a big country and all that. But if reporting and data from there are so unreliable, then it seems like spinning wheels to discuss numbers from there. I dunno, carry on.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
This may be a funny question, but who cares about what Brazil is reporting? Why focus on them if they're so wacky?
Because this topic is literally named "covid-19 outside the US", and Brazil is #2 in deaths worldwide and making all the noise.

Yes, I know it's a big country and all that. But if reporting and data from there are so unreliable, then it seems like spinning wheels to discuss numbers from there. I dunno, carry on.

The numbers from there if anything are under reported. I don't think there is any reason to believe they are being exaggerated.  So discussing what is happening in Brazil isn't just spinning our wheels its just talking about basically what the best case scenario for their country is right now.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
Having real numbers also helps to understand the overall impact of the pandemic.  If Brazil loses 10x their population to the disease than they want to report, then their economy will be far more affected and we will know the disease itself is that much more dangerous.  It's already bad enough to require a global effort to overcome it, but that's not happening (mainly due to Trump's intransigence).  If we create enough vaccine doses just to treat the false expectation of the disease spread, many more people will die or become sick for long periods than would otherwise happen.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »
It's already bad enough to require a global effort to overcome it, but that's not happening (mainly due to Trump's intransigence).

Believe me, Bolsonaro is not affected in the least by anything Trump does in this crisis, nor is any other world leader.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
It's already bad enough to require a global effort to overcome it, but that's not happening (mainly due to Trump's intransigence).

Believe me, Bolsonaro is not affected in the least by anything Trump does in this crisis, nor is any other world leader.

I heard Robert Gates last night lamenting the decline of US influence and leadership in the world.  I wonder who he might have been thinking of when he said that...

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »

Brazil is not alone in undercounting COVID-19 deaths.  By analyzing excess deaths in the US, the "official" count may be somewhere between 20,000-70,000 below actual totals.  Both the University of Washington and the head of the Harvard Global Health Department predict the samewise "official" US death total will exceed 200,000 by October 1.  In terms of rates and trends, that would mean that it took 129 days for the US to record the first 100,000 deaths and will record the next 100,000 deaths in the succeeding 128 days.

In the usual manner of confused statements, Trump is pushing to move the date of release of a vaccine up to October, without any medical guidance, and "the Administration" has said that it is unlikely that a vaccine will be available before January.  The latter statement doesn't say it will be available in January, just not before then.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »

Brazil is not alone in undercounting COVID-19 deaths.  By analyzing excess deaths in the US, the "official" count may be somewhere between 20,000-70,000 below actual totals.  Both the University of Washington and the head of the Harvard Global Health Department predict the samewise "official" US death total will exceed 200,000 by October 1.  In terms of rates and trends, that would mean that it took 129 days for the US to record the first 100,000 deaths and will record the next 100,000 deaths in the succeeding 128 days.

In the usual manner of confused statements, Trump is pushing to move the date of release of a vaccine up to October, without any medical guidance, and "the Administration" has said that it is unlikely that a vaccine will be available before January.  The latter statement doesn't say it will be available in January, just not before then.

You just can't help turning every possible subject into a commentary on Trump, can you?

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
He is the most powerful world leader, after all.  The fall of a sparrow can be traced...

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
Brazil and Mexico had more deaths than the US yesterday.

Brazil 1204
Mexico 770
USA 747

Brazil's testing is atrocious, 10x less than us or mexico.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
India is terrifying right now.

Their number of cases is exploding, but I completely doubt their ability to track actual infection rates, never mind the number of deaths.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
More on India, sounds pretty dire.

India has ended its coronavirus lockdown. Social media is flooded with pleas for COVID-19 tests and hospital beds. The virus is surging — collapsing the country's health system.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/23/881992601/india-reports-record-number-of-coronavirus-cases-nearly-every-day

Transcript isn't up yet but one detail from the story that is horrific is that people are literally dying outside of hospitals waiting to get in.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
The latest update on the Swedish model. The US has the highest number of deaths, but Sweden's death rate is increasing faster:

Every summer for the past 13 years, fans of Nordic culture have gathered on the Norway side of the border with Sweden for the outdoor festival Allsang pa Grensen, which translates roughly to, “Singsong Along the Border.”

But this summer, there will not be any Swedish singers in the live broadcast event, nor will there be any Swedish fans in the audience, singing and clapping along. This year, Swedes are forbidden to enter Norway.

And Norway isn’t the only Scandinavian neighbor barring Swedes from visiting this summer. Denmark and Finland have also closed their borders to Swedes, fearing that they would bring new coronavirus infections with them.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
The latest update on the Swedish model. The US has the highest number of deaths, but Sweden's death rate is increasing faster:

Sweden shouldn't really be held up as a "herd immunity," open society policy. They closed schools, limited indoor capacity at restaurants and other venues and generally had a populace that tried to maintain some social distancing. Basically Sweden was a phase 1 or phase 2 reopening by the American standards the entire time. Brazil is the let it run wild national policy, even though some states and municipalities tried to limit it further. Brazil and India are going to be bad. India doesn't have the will and/or economic capacity to go back into shut down and the president of Brazil seems intent on letting it run wild and trying to hide the data of how bad it actually is.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
Should we appreciate Bolsonaro if he claims he's trying to create herd immunity?  He seems to be doing it the right way by doing nothing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:17:05 PM by Kasandra »

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
Should we appreciate Bolsonaro if he claims he's trying to create herd immunity?  He seems to be doing it the right way by doing nothing.

No, because he isn't trying to ensure health services are available to ensure the sick have every chance possible to survive being infected. He's allowing his health system to be over-run.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »

No, because he isn't trying to ensure health services are available to ensure the sick have every chance possible to survive being infected. He's allowing his health system to be over-run.

No, because they were trying to ensure slaves were available to ensure their white owners had every chance possible to become rich from their labor. They were allowing the plantation system to be over-seen.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »
Wrong thread....ignore...

No, because they were trying to ensure slaves were available to ensure their white owners had every chance possible to become rich from their labor. They were allowing the plantation system to be over-seen.

Wrong thread....ignore...

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »
Bolsonaro is definitely doing his part to create herd immunity.

During a Tuesday press conference, Bolsonaro announced he had tested positive for COVID-19. He then backed away from reporters and removed his mask, to show that he was doing well.

The ABI says the 65-year-old president violated Article 131 of the country's criminal code that includes transmitting to others a serious disease of which he or she is infected, or any act that may cause contagion, under penalty of one to four years in prison as well as a fine.

Journalists sue Brazil's Bolsonaro for putting them at risk following coronavirus diagnosis

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2020, 04:18:48 PM »
On May 15, Israel reported just 10 new daily cases.

On May 17, Israel reopened its schools.

Within 2 weeks, new cases started to explode - For the past week, Israel has reported 1200 or more new daily cases every day, spiking to 2000 new daily cases yesterday.

Their case numbers have re-doubled seven times in the past 2 months.  It took about 5 weeks for the daily deaths to start significantly increasing.

Did I mention they were down to 10 new daily cases reported on May 15, 2 days before reopening their schools?

Israeli Data Show School Openings Were a Disaster That Wiped Out Lockdown Gains

The country’s schools reopened abruptly in mid-May, after plans were shelved for a gradual reentry in which students were meant to meet in “capsules” of 15 to provide adequate room for social distancing. Instead, most returned to classrooms of 30 to 40 students where the education-ministry guidelines to sit 6.5 feet apart were impossible to follow. Enforcing rules to wear masks appeared spotty at best.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2020, 03:10:22 PM »
In June, a judge closed a JBS plant in the remote Amazon town of São Miguel do Guaporé in the north-west of Brazil for the second time after infections rocketed. As of 25 June, 377 of the plant’s 940 employees were infected – then more than half of the town’s caseload, prosecutors said.

Leandro da Conceição, 33, one of the workers in the plant, said he lost his sense of smell and taste. When he told his supervisor, he was ignored and kept working even though he got sicker and sicker.

“It reached a point I couldn’t stand it any more. I told my superior I was not well,” he told the Guardian. “His focus was the cows, not the employees, it was production.”

Conceição was sent home after he produced his own positive test result. He and another worker later lost their jobs after a WhatsApp audio that featured them and other workers complaining about infections at the plant was published by local media. Both men were told falling production was the motive. “They had no reason to sack us,” he said. “I never missed work.”

Local labour prosecutor Helena Romero said: “We realised that the company was not carrying out containment measures, we observed that often workers kept working even though they had symptoms, and this could have contributed to spreading the illness.” The plant has since reopened.

não é bom

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
In June, a judge closed a JBS plant in the remote Amazon town of São Miguel do Guaporé in the north-west of Brazil for the second time after infections rocketed. As of 25 June, 377 of the plant’s 940 employees were infected – then more than half of the town’s caseload, prosecutors said.

Leandro da Conceição, 33, one of the workers in the plant, said he lost his sense of smell and taste. When he told his supervisor, he was ignored and kept working even though he got sicker and sicker.

“It reached a point I couldn’t stand it any more. I told my superior I was not well,” he told the Guardian. “His focus was the cows, not the employees, it was production.”

Conceição was sent home after he produced his own positive test result. He and another worker later lost their jobs after a WhatsApp audio that featured them and other workers complaining about infections at the plant was published by local media. Both men were told falling production was the motive. “They had no reason to sack us,” he said. “I never missed work.”

Local labour prosecutor Helena Romero said: “We realised that the company was not carrying out containment measures, we observed that often workers kept working even though they had symptoms, and this could have contributed to spreading the illness.” The plant has since reopened.

não é bom

The laws surrounding sick leave are going to have to be updated.

I wonder if the workers have case to sue

fizz

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2020, 03:19:31 AM »
[link=https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/29/italy-walking-a-fine-line-on-coronavirus-infections] English language article on Italian pandemic management status [/link]
I can more or less confirm what's going on: people mostly behave, and it seems that really a modicum of social distancing, mask wearing and handwashing are sufficient to keep the situation on the slow burner.

A bit worried because of course the local right wingers, that during the worst of the first wave kept silent for a while, now exactly because situation is going on smoothly are starting to make noises about coronavirus being a sham, about wanting to get rid of facemasks and so on, following the usual playbook. And with the media stirring the pot, I'm hearing normal people starting to catch on these ideas and repeating them around.

Also worried because my dad, 74 and a bit of a conspiracy fancier (all the usual stuff: George Soros as the evil incarnate, World New Order, chemtrails, climate change is a scam, you know, all the usual stuff you collect on internet forums), of course attached himself to the "the virus is a big scam" wagon and refuses to behave (putting by the way at risk my mother too).

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
I believe if the U.S. had been under mando-masking since January we might only have a few thousand dead right now like Japan with only about one thousand dead. The problem is one you point out though, that if that had actually happened people wouldn't be taking the virus seriously enough and would be saying that it was a scam and the discomfort of masks was completely unnecessary. They are saying that now anyway even with our over 150,000 dead but it would have been louder. Maybe it was necessary to get an idea of how bad this virus can be without public mask usage just to get people on-board with masking up. If we keep the masks on for at least the next four months or so we should start to get a very good idea of their effectiveness. I don't expect to see results for a least a couple more months but after that my hope is the results will be dramatic in a very good way and the most dramatic in the places with the most stringent policies. We may be in for a disappointment of course and it's still all contingent on people wearing them in the right way at the right time, but we can always hope, do what we can with what we've got, and knock on wood. I am disappointed though that we still don't have enough N95 masks for casual public consumption yet.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2020, 10:33:23 PM »
There's a saying - intelligence is learning from your mistakes, but wisdom is learning from other people's mistakes.

What's happening in the USA is something else altogether.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:24 AM »
There's a saying - intelligence is learning from your mistakes, but wisdom is learning from other people's mistakes.

Well see, I'm increasing hewing towards Covid19 is the common cold.... Before the common cold killed off the portion of the human population that was highly susceptible to it. In retrospect, if you view it that way, it kind of works when you consider the huge die-off of native populations that happened after the Europeans arrived. "The common cold" was probably something Eurasia encountered after they'd crossed the landbridge into the Americas and it was subsequently flooded.

We might get a vaccine with limited effectiveness which requires booster shots every 2 to 3 months, but I think even many in Europe are going to balk at continuing that kind of vaccination regime for more than a year. It's not going away, its here to stay, and it sucks for the people who are going to lose the genetic lottery in regards to vulnerability to it. All they can do at this point is those vaccines are found to be viable, and there is a discrete way to test for the relevant markers to see if they are in the group who will continue to need booster shots every 2 to 3 months possibly for the rest of their life.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2020, 06:48:16 AM »
That's an interesting theory, but do you think any significant number of US residents screaming "my rights!" have done such an analysis and come to that conclusion?  That they accept that millions will die, so it is better to "get 'er done", and cut out the middleman?

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
Satire:

STANFORD, CA—In a survey of how the nation’s local officials have responded to the pandemic in the absence of a consistent federal approach, Stanford University researchers confirmed Monday that more cities have begun offering drive-thru Covid-19 injection sites to put citizens out of their misery. “By injecting people with SARS-CoV-2, these pop-up locations provide an effective way to escape the endless anguish, gloom, and isolation this virus has inflicted upon us—and all from the convenience of one’s car,” said report co-author Sara Pappas, explaining that a certain percentage of those receiving the injection inevitably die, but whether through death or immunity, all those infected receive sweet release from an untenable situation they just can’t take anymore. “Individuals who have experienced feelings of hopelessness or despair in recent months may wish to seek out one of these drive-up facilities. Restaurant and service workers who interact with the public on a regular basis can generally receive their injections for free, and those with health insurance are covered as well, with most insurers paying the full cost of the injection and up to 10% of any subsequent hospitalizations.” Pappas went on to state that if only 80 to 90% of Americans would visit these Covid-19 injection sites, the pandemic would be over in weeks.

drive through injections

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »

Well see, I'm increasing hewing towards Covid19 is the common cold.... Before the common cold killed off the portion of the human population that was highly susceptible to it. In retrospect, if you view it that way, it kind of works when you consider the huge die-off of native populations that happened after the Europeans arrived. "The common cold" was probably something Eurasia encountered after they'd crossed the landbridge into the Americas and it was subsequently flooded.

We might get a vaccine with limited effectiveness which requires booster shots every 2 to 3 months, but I think even many in Europe are going to balk at continuing that kind of vaccination regime for more than a year. It's not going away, its here to stay, and it sucks for the people who are going to lose the genetic lottery in regards to vulnerability to it. All they can do at this point is those vaccines are found to be viable, and there is a discrete way to test for the relevant markers to see if they are in the group who will continue to need booster shots every 2 to 3 months possibly for the rest of their life.

What if we had that attitude about Measles, Smallpox, and Polio?

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2020, 01:24:34 PM »

I don't think you can compare Covid-19 with the above issues.
Every virus has its unique characteristic and covid appears to be similar to the Spanish flu if less deadly.

The Spanish flu is reported to have cause the deaths of 50 million people in a three year time frame and then 'disappeared' (actually it can be traced as being part of other viruses just not as deadly for those that survived) so the Deamon may be correct in that Covid-19 will go the same way.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »

They're different for a very blatantly obvious reason: Immunity to those illnesses last for years or even decades. And while contagious, thanks to that long lasting immunity, spread could be limited to a fair degree without extreme measures. Containment measures which historically speaking were rarely taken anyhow.

Of course, for the western world, most of those vaccines were in wide use before overpopulation hysterias began, and leading scientists started talking about population controls and forced sterilizations... Which is why Smallpox to this day remains the only virus that has been reliably removed from natural circulation. The vaxxer's don't just exist in the west, they exist in the third world. Where they're rejecting Polio and Measels vaccines because they're afraid its part of a plot to sterilize them and their children. For vaccines that only need to administered only once or twice over a period of time.

Now imagine the paranoia about a vaccine you need to receive every few months. Sure they might not sterilize you this time but what about the next?

I'll probably get the vaccine once its available, but I have family who will be waiting to see what the side effects are first, although some of them have other health considerations, like auto-immune disorders, to warrant caution on their part. But even for me, I'm not sure I'm going to be so amenable to continue getting booster shots every few months 2 years from now, or especially 5 years from now.

"Most people" who do agree to getting the shots will probably only take it during the first year of availability. After that, they'll only look at getting the "booster" in the event of a verified outbreak in their community, if even then.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
Where are you getting the data that you'd need 5-6 shots per year? I haven't seen any data, and the flu is just an annual cocktail of the major strains. I think they just don't know yet. But if we could get down to influenza levels we could live with it.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2020, 01:33:39 AM »
Where are you getting the data that you'd need 5-6 shots per year? I haven't seen any data, and the flu is just an annual cocktail of the major strains. I think they just don't know yet. But if we could get down to influenza levels we could live with it.

No vaccine in the history of medicine has been shown to offer better protection against future infection than being infected with the virus itself.

Studies are indicating that Covid19 antibodies, primary indicators of the body retaining an immunity to the virus after infection, only last between 45 to 90 days among recovering Covid19 patients.

So unless they somehow have created a vaccine that defies all prior experience in the field of immunology, the maximum effectiveness window you should expect is 90 days. With the minimum being 45 days, that means 60 days is the "happy medium" where they'd probably set the guideline for most people. (although some may be advised to get boosted more frequently than that, monthly maybe?)

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2020, 01:41:43 PM »
"studies" so authoritative. Could you cite one?

Immunity to the coronavirus remains a mystery.

How Long Does COVID-19 Immunity Last?
A new study from King’s College London inspired a raft of headlines suggesting that immunity might vanish in months. The truth is a lot more complicated—and, thankfully, less dire.

“I was definitely very worried when I saw the headlines,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology. “But then I looked at the data. And actually, looking at the data, I feel okay about it.”

Second, the virologist Shane Crotty told me that while the decline in antibodies was troubling, it was hardly catastrophic. “It’s not unusual to have fading antibody response after several months,” he said. “The drop-off isn’t that surprising. When you look at something like the smallpox vaccine, you see the antibody response is down about 75 percent after six months. But that’s a vaccine that works for decades. We need a study like this to look at COVID patients six months after infection to really know what we’re dealing with.” It’s been six months since the first American COVID-19 patient went to the hospital. Those studies will surely come.

Third, low levels of antibodies can still be enough to knock out COVID-19, because they can prime a larger immune response some time later. “It’s possible that previously-infected people could utilize [immunological memory] responses to produce new antibodies in case they are exposed to SARS-CoV-2 again,” Pamela Bjorkman, a biochemist at the California Institute of Technology, wrote in an email. “So I would not conclude yet that people infected with SARS-CoV-2 are not protected from another infection.”

But the elephant in the room is, even if immunity only lasts 3 months, it would massively arrest active cases, you know, the way responsible countries have done with masks and shutdowns.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »
But the elephant in the room is, even if immunity only lasts 3 months, it would massively arrest active cases, you know, the way responsible countries have done with masks and shutdowns.

Oh, like the measles in the United States even with something like 80% of the population vaccinated against it at present? Something that was once eradicated within out borders but has now returned(although the covid19 stuff should have helped put a hard stop on that once more), and proven hard to eradicate because people refuse to get that vaccine despite it's long history of safe use?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »
It's impossible to say for sure, but anti-vaxers have lost a lot of their sway, not just since COVID-19, but in the year before.

We may be pleasantly surprised by the eventual rate of vaccination.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
At least 41 passengers and crew on a Norwegian cruise ship have tested positive for Covid-19, officials say.

Hundreds more passengers who travelled on the MS Roald Amundsen are in quarantine and awaiting test results, the company that owns the ship said.

The ship, which belongs to the Norwegian firm Hurtigruten, docked in the port of Tromso in northern Norway on Friday.

Way to go! I know cruise ships often allow gambling, but the stakes seem higher than usual.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2020, 08:50:18 PM »
Didn't even realise cruise ships were still a thing, guess I had assumed they were all shut down.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:55:06 PM by DJQuag »

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »
article

Certain European countries are allowing cruises, some without any port stops.

TUI Cruises, partially owned by Royal Caribbean Group, canceled its July 31 German-based cruise to nowhere on its Mein Schiff 1 ship when it could not get enough crew to Germany to operate the ship following positive tests of five newly arrived crew members.

A passenger on French cruise company Ponant’s Paul Gauguin cruise ship tested positive for the virus Sunday and the ship’s passengers and crew are now quarantined on board in Tahiti awaiting test results.

Needless to say, not going too good.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2020, 01:28:17 PM »
Stay-at-home orders are now in place in Manila and four surrounding provinces on the island of Luzon for two weeks.

The country only just emerged from one of the strictest lockdowns in June.

But hospitals have been struggling to cope with a five-fold rise in confirmed infections, now surging past 100,000.

The lockdown means a return to stay-at-home orders except for going out to buy essential goods or exercising outdoors. Public transport has also been suspended and domestic flights are grounded, while restaurants are restricted to takeaways.

The new lockdown came after 80 medical associations on Saturday called on President Rodrigo Duterte to toughen restrictions in a bid to slow the spread of the virus.

On Sunday the Philippines announced a record 5,032 new infections. In some areas hospitals are reported to have been forced to turn away soaring numbers of patients.

Doctors hope the reinstated restrictions will now give medical workers more time to deal with the spike in cases.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2020, 04:04:12 AM »
https://youtu.be/wZQkBHysrig

Lol. In summation, put a *censored*ing mask on.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »
Just because we all need this... presumably, she is working on the swine flu and not COVID-19, but still: Mama Boar steals laptop to assist with research

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2020, 02:04:53 PM »

Kind of loses his power wearing his mask on his elbow.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2020, 02:57:09 PM »

Kind of loses his power wearing his mask on his elbow.

That was almost certainly on purpose. The guy's whole deal is making videos where he pretends to be a news reporter who goes on wild rants to his producer when the camera cuts off. While the character makes good points he's foul mouthed and not a great person. Him ranting about wearing a mask while not wearing a mask is just part of the humour.

If you have  fifteen minutes watch his critique on cancel culture here.

https://youtu.be/Lvm3xeO1lA0

It's spot on and absolutely hilarious.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »
I see. He's not my cup of coffee.  ;)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
France is to make face masks compulsory in most workplaces as it grapples with a resurgence in coronavirus cases.

The new rule is likely to apply to all shared spaces in offices and factories where there is more than one employee present.

The measure is set to begin on 1 September. Individual offices will be exempt.

France has seen a sharp rise in coronavirus cases since July and masks are already widely used.

Its average number of new cases over seven days is now well above 2,000, double what it was at the start of the month.

About 220,000 people have now been infected and more than 30,000 have died.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »
Brazil by official numbers is now outpacing the US in raw numbers. Yesterday they had more new cases and more deaths.

Meanwhile in Spain, proud owner of the sharpest rise in Europe after the initial spike:

Crowds gathered in the Spanish capital over the weekend to protest an expanded requirement for them to wear protective masks in public as the government tries to combat a sudden resurgence of coronavirus infections.

Defying the law by going without masks, people gathered Sunday in Madrid's Plaza de Colón. Police said they would normally fine the maskless protesters, but were overwhelmed by their sheer numbers, according to El País.

In a country that has witnessed more than 28,600 deaths since the start of the pandemic, some carried signs reading "The virus does not exist" and "Masks kill."

Among the speakers at the rally was anti-vaccination activist Josep Pàmies, who told people to spread the word in their towns and neighborhoods that the coronavirus is not dangerous.

Others chanted, "What kills is 5G," a reference to a conspiracy theory linking the coronavirus to the latest cellphone technology.

Poet and photographer Ouka Leele told demonstrators: "We can't live like zombies with masks on in the streets."

I don't know if it is comforting or alarming that Americans are not uniquely stupid about these things.

Edited to add: Zombies?? Has that woman ever seen a Zombie movie? Does he mean that masks give you a taste for human flesh? Or that they make you shamble? Or make that weird throaty hissing sound?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:30:20 PM by TheDrake »

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »
Maybe she meant fast zombies...

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »

28 days later zombies? I mean, I know they run with the bulls in Pamplona, but you apparently can't run with a mask on or you will pass out and die from your own toxins, right?

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2020, 04:58:58 AM »

28 days later zombies? I mean, I know they run with the bulls in Pamplona, but you apparently can't run with a mask on or you will pass out and die from your own toxins, right?

A nitpick. To be a zombie you have to be dead. In 28 Day Later the people had a virus that made them homicidally angry and resistant to pain but they were still living and breathing. It even showed them dying of thirst/hunger at the end of the film.

/Pendantry.