Author Topic: Plastic recycling a lie?  (Read 152 times)

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic recycling a lie?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:15:17 AM »
I just read that yesterday too and it really struck me as well. I thought about posting it but didn't know what to add. What a scam. When they got to the part about how they are trying to run the same scam all over again today I couldn't help but think that though they failed in recycling plastic at least they may succeed in recycling the same old scam again.

One thing I did wonder about though was if it's a different story in Japan. They are a lot more serious about recycling and making sure everything goes into the proper recycling bin.

I also wonder if for most plastic items there might be some kind of standard instituted so that it would be easier to recycle them.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
That is disappointing and sadly not surprising.

I'm hoping that will change once they discover how to convert used plastic back to oil and make a profit. I suspect the oil companies will push back on that similar to how they pushed back on electric cars but in my dwindling optimism I still foolishly hope. 

https://www.power-technology.com/comment/plastic-to-fuel/

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
It isn't just plastic recycling, a number of cities in (recent) years past have started just dumping a lot of their (mixed) "recycle stream" materials in the landfill rather process it, as nobody is taking enough of the stuff to justify the effort. (That and well, they used to just ship it to China for sorting there, but China stopped accepting it)

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
China stopped "accepting" it and pretty much never sorted it or recycled it.  What a scam. But this runs into the biggest problem in fixing anything, you have ask people to give up convenience.  Instead they'll look for anything possible to punish someone else, or make impossible demands on someone else, but will continue to justify their own person uses.

I find it very interesting that they label as a problem that there are so many different kinds of plastic.  Couldn't this be fixed (in very large part) by mandating exactly which plastics are permitted to be used on consumer products?  Do we really need different color bottles?  Or so many different kinds of plastic cartons?

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
And who will mandate it? The government?  Is that what you are asking for? Also I am fairly sure that different needs use different plastics. The plastic needed for bags at check out is much different then the plastic used in pop bottles is different than those used in frozen foods.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
...Couldn't this be fixed (in very large part) by mandating exactly which plastics are permitted to be used on consumer products?  Do we really need different color bottles?  Or so many different kinds of plastic cartons?

That would truly be the best action - and would make the elimination of plastic more fasible. However; new plastic is cheaper than dealing with old - so the market does not support anything but new. We had inventions of degradable plastic hit the market decades ago, and nothing much has come of it. How about adding a deposit to degradable plastic containers the same way most states do with carbonated drink cans and bottles? Let the market do the work.