Author Topic: Economics and Covid-19  (Read 2159 times)

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Economics and Covid-19
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »
How about a week? Or a month? If we can wait, let's wait. Why not?

What do you think, Crunch?  What would be the effect of a 2-day delay?  What would be the effect of a one-month delay?  Is there a difference, do you think?

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2020, 11:19:35 AM »

"This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision," Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) told lawmakers ...

Nice. So what's the hold up? Democrats want:

1) Unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions
2) Increased fuel emissions standards for airlines
3) Expansion of wind and solar tax credits

The ads this fall are being written now. Those that played politics with lives on the line will be called out.

Interesting you quote the house leadership in response to a vote in the Senate. Reports I've read said the senate democrats were asking that companies that took money agreed to some conditions. For example I don't think its productive if we give an airline 5 billion dollars and they decide to pay out a huge dividend, lay off all their workers, then declare bankruptcy.

A week delay probably doesn't make a big difference in the long run. Unemployment benefits, savings, and general reduced expenditures would get individuals and businesses through an extra week of delay. 1 month and things would start to break.
A month would.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
Here's a different take on what Democrats have an issue with: Senator Chris Coons explains

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2020, 12:47:18 PM »

What do you think, Crunch?  What would be the effect of a 2-day delay?  What would be the effect of a one-month delay?  Is there a difference, do you think?

If there's no difference in waiting, then why do we need one at all?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »
Here's a different take on what Democrats have an issue with: Senator Chris Coons explains

It was a bipartisan bill yesterday. Schumer thought it was great. Only when Nancy got back from vacation was it suddenly an issue.

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
To me it's less about the delay and more about the crisis manipulation.

I haven't read the entire proposal, but I know it has these conditions:

Direct Lending Limitations: executive total compensation may not exceed $425,000; prohibition of stock buybacks during the duration of the loan; borrowers must maintain existing payroll as of March 13.

These sound like very close if not exactly the kinds of conditions we're after. It certainly covers the main items Cuban was recommending to avoid exploitation.

For anyone to claim the bill funds businesses with "no strings attached" is clearly false. Whether people are saying that out of ignorance or malice...you decide.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »
I'll ask again - is there a difference between a 2-day delay in getting cash, vs a one month delay in getting cash?  What about a 3-month delay? Let's put it another way - is there a difference between a 2-day delay in getting food vs a one-month delay in getting food?

Or how about this - is there a difference between a 2-day delay in meeting payroll vs a 3-month delay in meeting payroll?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »

It was a bipartisan bill yesterday. Schumer thought it was great. Only when Nancy got back from vacation was it suddenly an issue.
You wrote this on another thread: "The initial bill leader McConnell put in didn't have any democratic input and we were worried that we just try to put it on the floor and not consult Speaker Pelosi because the House still has to pass this."

Are you purposefully misrepresenting Schumer, or can you truly not see the difference?

ScottF

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »
GOP: Okay, we'll pass this insanely large spending bill because we have to stop the imminent collapse of the American economy.
Democrats: Sounds good.
Pelosi: I WANT WINDMILLS AND CORPORATE DIVERSITY QUOTAS
Democrats: WE WANT WINDMILLS AND CORPORATE DIVERSITY QUOTAS

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »
Democrats:  we need to get money to the people
Republicans: we need a blank cheque / slush fund that we can direct to anybody Mnuchin chooses

See how easy that was, and how equally non-representative?

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
There are two tiers that are involved. If small businesses get the money to survive, then they are expected to continue paying wages. If individuals get paid directly, then wages are less impactful. Taken together, the double windfall should help ameliorate the bad times. If half the country is living paycheck to paycheck, the extra income is necessary.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:16 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on the risk of hyperinflation?

I agree that since people are being forced to stay home for the common good and so can't work then people need some money to pay the bills and buy food. Companies also need financial assistance in some form or other to keep from going under when there is nothing fundamentally wrong with their business model except that nobody can patronize them right now. Will this assistance be given without significant inflationary pressures?

I see deflationary pressures in play too. We see that with oil to some extent though how much is because of the Saudi oil war with Russia and how much will be do to people just not traveling as much is hard to say but surely the latter must be having a massive effect too. Also, as people don't or can't buy certain things, for instance because Amazon won't allow many items to be sold and many stores that sell them are closed since they aren't essential items, we might expect to see the prices for those goods fall significantly as unsold inventory continues to build up. That applies to real estate as well.

I wonder if the people who are mostly in fixed income and are breathing a sigh of relief because they didn't lose much if anything in the market crash may be letting their guard down too soon. Sure they'll get their 4% interest and all of their principal back on the bonds they bought a few years ago and that's fantastic in a 2% or less interest rate environment but if inflation goes up to the double digits as it was during the Carter years or even higher as we saw in countries like Venezuela and Zimbabwe and Weimar Germany where they thought the solution to people not having enough money was just to make more of it then everyone is going to be feeling the pain and nowhere will be safe. I suppose in that environment the gold bugs may be proven the wisest after all. Not saying that'll happen for sure but this is the first step even if I do in principal agree with it because people not being able to work is necessary for the safety of us all right now and they still have to eat and pay the rent or mortgage. But I hope the inflation danger is something they are keeping in mind and also have a plan for.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2020, 06:29:46 AM »
I'm more concerned about deflation than inflation.  Businesses are desperate to sell inventory and hang onto workers.  I think the biggest crash in value will be the real estate market.  Now isn't the time to be moving cross-country for a new job or looking for your dream house.  I've stopped looking for a house in order to conserve assets.

The job market is weirdly inverted at the moment.  The most critical jobs right now are in the supply chain industries, including farm/food production, transportation, delivery and stocking.  For instance, Walmart announced it is looking for 150,000 new workers.  As the workforce shifts toward lower paid service/supply jobs, companies will be able to lower prices and still maintain some level of profits.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
I'll ask again - is there a difference between a 2-day delay in getting cash, vs a one month delay in getting cash?  What about a 3-month delay? Let's put it another way - is there a difference between a 2-day delay in getting food vs a one-month delay in getting food?

Or how about this - is there a difference between a 2-day delay in meeting payroll vs a 3-month delay in meeting payroll?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »

You wrote this on another thread: "The initial bill leader McConnell put in didn't have any democratic input and we were worried that we just try to put it on the floor and not consult Speaker Pelosi because the House still has to pass this."

Are you purposefully misrepresenting Schumer, or can you truly not see the difference?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »

Let's review the entire quote:
SCHUMER: Well, we could get there. We may not get that high but it's going to be and certainly amply more than $1 trillion, a $ trillion and fourth.

BLITZER: And you think it'll be wrapped up by Monday?

SCHUMER: Well, I hope it is. We're having good bipartisan agreements. The initial bill leader McConnell put in didn't have any democratic input and we were worried that we just try to put it on the floor and not consult Speaker Pelosi because the House still has to pass this.

But actually, to my delight and surprise, there has been a great deal of bipartisan cooperation thus far.

See, you snipped out the rest of Schumer's quote. Shame on you. You just keep doing rather dishonest things, you know?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
Nope, that doesn't change at all that Schumer called out the bill itself as not having any bipartisan input.  So it was not "a bipartisan bill" as you stated. 

And you seem to be ignoring that the bipartisan cooperation going forward did not change the fact that, as stated by Schumer, the bill itself was not bipartisan.

Are you suggesting that at the time of the votes, the bill had been changed/reworded to be acceptable on a bipartisan basis?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2020, 08:10:48 AM »
Sooo... 2 days later, and there is a bipartisan agreement.

Would it really have been better to have simply rubber-stamped one party's plans to spend upwards of 2 trillion dollars, or was there any benefit in spending 2 additional days having the legislative and administrative arms of government discussing how those 2 trillion dollars will be spent?

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »
Nope, that doesn't change at all that Schumer called out the bill itself as not having any bipartisan input.  So it was not "a bipartisan bill" as you stated. 

And you seem to be ignoring that the bipartisan cooperation going forward did not change the fact that, as stated by Schumer, the bill itself was not bipartisan.

Are you suggesting that at the time of the votes, the bill had been changed/reworded to be acceptable on a bipartisan basis?

I'm suggesting you intentionally and maliciously edited the quote to make it say something it didn't.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2020, 09:35:56 AM »
That Schumer was happy that there was bipartisan cooperation after the Republicans presented their bill, the one that had no Democratic input, does not magically change the fact that the Democrats had no input in the drafting of the Republican bill, making the bill NOT bipartisan as you misrepresented.

Since I was using that part of Schumer's statement that made this blindingly obvious, and since Schumer's happiness on Sunday had nothing to do with the Republican bill that had been drafted prior to Sunday (see Entorpic Time) there was nothing about what I wrote that misrepresented anything. 

You know this, although presumably you cannot admit it.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »
Sooo... 2 days later, and there is a bipartisan agreement.

Would it really have been better to have simply rubber-stamped one party's plans to spend upwards of 2 trillion dollars, or was there any benefit in spending 2 additional days having the legislative and administrative arms of government discussing how those 2 trillion dollars will be spent?

Yep, about the amount of delay I was expecting. I'm glad the total is 2 trillion, honestly this is a good time to have a republican administration. If Obama was still in the white house the republicans would be balking at spending the amount necessary to keep the economy on life support for the 2-3 months we need to have large sectors of the economy shut down.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »
That Schumer was happy that there was bipartisan cooperation after the Republicans presented their bill, the one that had no Democratic input, does not magically change the fact that the Democrats had no input in the drafting of the Republican bill, making the bill NOT bipartisan as you misrepresented.

Since I was using that part of Schumer's statement that made this blindingly obvious, and since Schumer's happiness on Sunday had nothing to do with the Republican bill that had been drafted prior to Sunday (see Entorpic Time) there was nothing about what I wrote that misrepresented anything. 

You selectively edited the quote to make it appear completely opposite of what he really said.

Everyone can see this, although presumably, you cannot admit it.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »

You selectively edited the quote to make it appear completely opposite of what he really said.

Everyone can see this, although presumably, you cannot admit it.

No. Not what happened, let it go.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2020, 03:45:19 PM »
I've heard through other channels that in Michigan their shut-down of "non-essential services" also includes shutting down several food processing facilities.

That sounds promising.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
That sounds impossible to verify or understand. We don't have access to your "other channels".

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
Sounds like "unnamed senior source in the White House says..."

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
I've heard through other channels that in Michigan their shut-down of "non-essential services" also includes shutting down several food processing facilities.

That sounds promising.

Promising for what?  I haven't heard anything like that and I live in Michigan and am paying close attention to the announcements coming from the Governor and other state officials.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »

That sounds promising.

Rumors are easy right now. I'm sure there was discussion about what was essential and what wasn't. I'm leaning towards that ending up on the essential list even if one person in a meeting presented an argument for them to close.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
I don't doubt there could be some truth to it. A candy manufacturer might be a food processing facility, but not really essential. Now if we're talking about a sausage factory, I'd be very surprised indeed.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »
Now if we're talking about a sausage factory, I'd be very surprised indeed.
So, Congress is probably staying open, then?

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2020, 05:57:44 PM »

Actually, they plan to close up shop as soon as the $2T bill is signed.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2020, 05:58:38 PM »

No, that's a sausage fest.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2020, 11:50:58 PM »
I don't doubt there could be some truth to it. A candy manufacturer might be a food processing facility, but not really essential. Now if we're talking about a sausage factory, I'd be very surprised indeed.

The location I heard mentioned as shutting down was Post Foods. So breakfast cereals mostly, but still.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2020, 06:16:10 AM »

The location I heard mentioned as shutting down was Post Foods. So breakfast cereals mostly, but still.

Link?  I searched Google but can't find anything about that.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2020, 06:32:18 AM »

Link?  I searched Google but can't find anything about that.

Best I have is an internet chat message from monday talking about things in Michigan:
My buddy works for post cereals and they shut down over the weekend too

Which might mean it was just a weekend closure, or maybe it was a full on shutdown.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2020, 06:34:58 AM »
In that case, you overstated it in your first post.  That could have been a normal shift adjustment based on market factors.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2020, 06:40:36 AM »
In that case, you overstated it in your first post.  That could have been a normal shift adjustment based on market factors.

It's what happens when you go from memory. I just remembered Post Foods and "shut down," while I was truck driving, I actually picked up more than a few truck loads from there so it was noteworthy to me for other reasons.

It also may have been an administrative error on Michigan's part and they "forgot" to include them as essential and had it fixed by Monday. I did also notice when I just checked Battle Creek's newspaper, it doesn't get mentioned... But given everything else that was shutdown, I'm likewise unsure about would cause Post Foods to warrant being mentioned specifically. Might have to poke the guy who made the comment and see if the plant is still shutdown or not.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2020, 11:43:13 AM »
...It also may have been an administrative error on Michigan's part and they "forgot" to include them as essential and had it fixed by Monday. I did also notice when I just checked Battle Creek's newspaper, it doesn't get mentioned... But given everything else that was shutdown, I'm likewise unsure about would cause Post Foods to warrant being mentioned specifically. Might have to poke the guy who made the comment and see if the plant is still shutdown or not.

Yes, I'm from Michigan, and Governor Whitmer has forgotten a lot of stuff lately - like applying for Federal assistance in getting supplies or any help. Quite the genius.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
...It also may have been an administrative error on Michigan's part and they "forgot" to include them as essential and had it fixed by Monday. I did also notice when I just checked Battle Creek's newspaper, it doesn't get mentioned... But given everything else that was shutdown, I'm likewise unsure about would cause Post Foods to warrant being mentioned specifically. Might have to poke the guy who made the comment and see if the plant is still shutdown or not.

Yes, I'm from Michigan, and Governor Whitmer has forgotten a lot of stuff lately - like applying for Federal assistance in getting supplies or any help. Quite the genius.

Clearly, that should have been done sooner.  I'd like to hear her explanation for why it wasn't.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:41 PM »
...that should have been done sooner.  I'd like to hear her explanation for why it wasn't.
The word on the street is that she is a Never-Trumper and can't bear to recognize anything he can do. Like many, she doesn't want to do anything that gives credit to the President.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2020, 05:32:11 AM »
...that should have been done sooner.  I'd like to hear her explanation for why it wasn't.
The word on the street is that she is a Never-Trumper and can't bear to recognize anything he can do. Like many, she doesn't want to do anything that gives credit to the President.

A wonderful all-purpose one-size-fits-all explanation for anything and everything that doesn't neatly conform to your beliefs.  Have you considered that the coronavirus is a false flag infection released by Trump to give him an opportunity to look Presidential by taking charge?  The reason he keeps attacking Democratic Governors (and never Republican ones) and won't use the federal government to ensure their hospitals get supplies is to stop them from corralling the virus too soon.  At least that's the word on the street.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »

Taking her cues from Pelosi.

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2020, 08:10:01 AM »
Ok

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced she has submitted a disaster declaration to President Trump to address the state's outbreak of COVID-19 during an address Thursday morning from Lansing.

Whitmer announced the disaster declaration request a day after the Detroit Free Press reported FEMA said she had yet to request one for the state. A major disaster declaration increases funding from the federal government and brings other federal assistance from FEMA.

Right, now that everyone is aware, suddenly she can make this request. Funny what changes once the spotlight hits.

Whitmer explained that she waited to request the major disaster declaration because she wanted to make sure the request was done right.

Should’ve gone with “the dog ate my first request”. Much more believable.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2020, 10:04:41 AM »
Taking her cues from Pelosi.

I think I can summarize your thinking: Bad, bad Pelosi. Pelosi bad, bad.  Oh yeah, Whitmer bad, too.  Bad, bad Whitmer.  Did I leave anything out?

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
...Have you considered that the coronavirus is a false flag infection released by Trump to give him an opportunity to look Presidential by taking charge?  The reason he keeps attacking Democratic Governors (and never Republican ones) and won't use the federal government to ensure their hospitals get supplies is to stop them from corralling the virus too soon.  At least that's the word on the street.

You're using debate fallacy to prove a point you cannot make. So sad. Whitmer's lapse in asking for Fed help is uncontested.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
...Have you considered that the coronavirus is a false flag infection released by Trump to give him an opportunity to look Presidential by taking charge?  The reason he keeps attacking Democratic Governors (and never Republican ones) and won't use the federal government to ensure their hospitals get supplies is to stop them from corralling the virus too soon.  At least that's the word on the street.

You're using debate fallacy to prove a point you cannot make. So sad. Whitmer's lapse in asking for Fed help is uncontested.

But how do you know it wasn't a Trump false-flag operation?  You don't, do you?  Nothing he's done in 3 years has changed his polling numbers until now, but now they are going up.  So how do you know?

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »
...But how do you know it wasn't a Trump false-flag operation?  You don't, do you?  Nothing he's done in 3 years has changed his polling numbers until now, but now they are going up.  So how do you know?

Because she admitted it?

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
A republican congressman is delaying the vote in the house by forcing a quorum call to pass the stimulus bill. The bill passed unanimously in the senate, the house is taking it up unchanged. The result of the vote isn't in doubt, just the timing. Is he being a constitutional stickler or just an a-hole (my vote is for a-hole). Also for everyone who said the dem's were being irresponsible by negotiating for an extra 48 hours to add restrictions to some of the corporate bailout money what do you think of this stunt?

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2020, 02:11:47 PM »
A republican congressman is delaying the vote in the house by forcing a quorum call to pass the stimulus bill. The bill passed unanimously in the senate, the house is taking it up unchanged. The result of the vote isn't in doubt, just the timing. Is he being a constitutional stickler or just an a-hole (my vote is for a-hole). Also for everyone who said the dem's were being irresponsible by negotiating for an extra 48 hours to add restrictions to some of the corporate bailout money what do you think of this stunt?

I think Massie was being true to his foundational beliefs, but that he should have stepped outside of his basic paradigm in the realization that his stance was just grandstanding and would cause medical risks as the Congress had to fly back to DC. He is "Mr. No" for a reason. He never votes for spending easily. This one was tarnished quite a bit by Pelosi's tactics, but the vote result was inevitable.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »
Brief aside: I told my wife whimsically that we should have a run on giant dog cones to wear around our necks to keep us from touching our faces because that is more problematic than the need of face masks. As she was walking out to go see about her mother, she said she'd pick me up one.