Author Topic: The Expanse - Scifi Network Show  (Read 4824 times)

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
The Expanse - Scifi Network Show
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:25:03 AM »
Anyone excited for this? The book series has been great. Scifi released the first episode online, for free.

Youtube.

No one looks the way I expected except Naomi, but I really liked it anyway. It's strange that they've got Avasarala in the first season (I don't think she was around until the second book) but that makes some sense to me. The big influx of new characters in the second book was offputting, at first. They probably want to avoid that.

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Expanse - Scifi Network Show
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
It seems to be very well done.  Tom and I were both involved with the original Play by Post game run by one of the authors.  Tom's character was Holden. Mine did not make the cut for the book or the movie.   :'(

msquared

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
Matt better get his act together and start writing. Breeze & Co were made for the big screen.

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »
I thought we would call it "Matias saves the World".

msquared

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
I've seen a billboard for this but it didn't really appeal.  Anyone able to do a spoiler free nutshell?

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »
Space opera at it's best.  Started as a Play by Post game using the D20 game system.  DM, Ty Frank, then went to work for George RR Martin and worked with Daniel Abraham and they co wrote the book (now series) and it got picked up for the TV series.  Game ran about 10 years ago.

msquared

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »
I've seen a billboard for this but it didn't really appeal.  Anyone able to do a spoiler free nutshell?

Humans are in the early stages of space exploration: they have gained access to the solar system but not to other solar systems or galaxies. Factions have arisen and are opposed to one another: Earth and Luna; Mars; and the people born and living in the Asteroid Belt and on the moons of the outer planets.

The main story follows a burned out detective trying to find a rich Earther's daughter in the belt, and a young captain who, through bad luck and his ideals of open information, thrusts himself into the middle of a solar-system wide power struggle and mystery.

There is a lot more too it than that (it goes beyond traditional scifi into the horror genres) but if I say anything more, I will spoil a lot.

I loved the books. Five have come out so far, and they're still being written.  I hope the TV show does them justice.