Author Topic: Is Quora becoming Cards vision of the future political discussion (Enders Game)?  (Read 3485 times)

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
Do you think Quora is somewhat embodying the idea that Card had in Ender's Game where ordinary people could influence the world through their discussion on a internet site?

While there is definitely a bit of an expertise and clique bias on Quora, it is in many ways surprisingly egalitarian.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
Name is familiar but I know almost zip about it.  Time to fix that I guess.

Pyrtolin

• Members
    • View Profile
The internet is doing that in general, it's not anything particular to quora. Though, at the same time, it's introducing the strong danger of propagating appealing ignorance at the expense of facts that play less to popular biases. It's very easy to use it to find more visible pockets of nonsense that confirm your biases and stick to those rather than making the effort to seek out those with the experience and expertise needed to be credible.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
So the gist of the site is...
1.  Ask a question
2.  Wait for people (who hopefully are somewhat informed on the subject) to answer?
3.  Highly active or "upvoted" questions get more prominence on your "feed" of topics you expressed interest in?

JoshuaD

• Members
    • View Profile
Yea, that's the gist of it.

A key feature is that you have to identify as a real person, and that they have worked hard to find / highlight / feature posts from well known thinkers.

Quora has a very left bias. That being said, I really enjoy the site. It's one of my three daily feeds (facebook and slashdot being the other two).

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
Quora is global, so relative to the US it has a 'left bias', even though it is mostly more conservative than the global audience.

Pete,

The internet is doing that in general, it's not anything particular to quora.

I'd argue that the 'internet as a whole' really doesn't act in that way.  If you write something interesting on Quora there is a reasonable chance of it turning up on Fortune, Huffington Post, and other widely read publications.  There are only a few places on the net you can post and have any likelihood of greater audience.  Also there are a large number of influential people that hang out at Quora.  Both posting and reading to a degree not found anywhere else on the net but twitter (and twitter is almost completely inconsequential in its content).

DW,

you can ask up to 15 different people to answer (suggestions for who to ask are given based on those who have answered and received lots of upvotes in the topic areas that are associated with your question, and based on who you follow, who follows you, and who you upvote).  As long as it is a well written/interesting question, there is a good chance someone you ask to answer will answer.

JoshuaD,

in addition they regularly promote material to other readers, so well written stuff gets more viewers.
Upvoted material by people you follow is more likely to end up in your feed, and material by people you follow is more likely to end up in your feed (unfortunately their algorithm is a bit imbalanced, and you can end up with your feed flooded with writings mostly by one or two authors)
Followers is also an important aspect in general.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:33:27 PM by LetterRip »

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
LR, you have not offended, but in most other contexts, confusing me with yr would be catastrophic.     We are as different as ego and superego, as fact and authority.   

i suspect that at least every decade we will see new constructs that more closely resemble Card's "nets" in the enderverse.

i actually think that Card's vision seems to involve competing "nets" that sound far far more proprietary than what's available today. 

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
Whoops!! Sorry Pete and Pyr, no idea why I swapped the names...

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
just ran into a quora complaint that Michael Bay is "political" due to the "absence of gays" in the Transformer movies.  Only two Ornery members have ever shown that level of leftopathy