Author Topic: Donald Trump, Master of Illusion  (Read 1303 times)

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
Donald Trump, Master of Illusion
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Trump has manipulated almost everyone in the country. He has taken an extraordinarily unorthodox approach to political leadership and we have paid too much attention to his flourish and not enough on his magic.

The fact of the matter is that Donald Trump has devised a brilliant piece of political strategy, covering up his glaring deficiencies with a steady stream of disinformation, political posturing and intentionally creating division. He has drawn his opponents into a constant state of outrage and indignation, diverting their attention from the sum and substance of the little he's had to say about government policy. Instead they have focused on the seemingly frivolous things he's said and done. He has come to realize something that most of the rest of have yet to comprehend, namely, that his target audience doesn't CARE about policy discussions and position papers. They're not bothered that he lies to them because they think the people pointing out the lies are the ones having trouble with the truth.

The brilliance of this strategy is that there's no way to counteract it. The media can shout from the housetops or publish headlines five feet high that what Donald Trump is saying is a lot of mule fritters and it won't make a bit of difference. The only way to neutralize Donald Trump's illusions is to refuse to show them, to simply take away his audience. In short, to ignore him. Until the media has the courage, not to stand up to President Trump, but rather to take the stage away from him, he will play his trick over and over and over again.

When I first heard what Trump had to say about respecting the flag and not using it as a way to expenses free speech, a concern that the nation is living up to the standards symbolized by the flag is that he was intentionally trying to distract the nation. And it works every time.

slipstick

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, Master of Illusion
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
What he's doing is working somewhat, in the sense that almost 40% of voters now approve of his conduct as President. That is a low approval rating, but higher than it was in August.

Seriati

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:28:39 PM »
When you quote something you should generally provide a citation.

The fact of the matter is that Donald Trump has devised a brilliant piece of political strategy, covering up his glaring deficiencies with a steady stream of disinformation, political posturing and intentionally creating division.

I don't see a reasonable basis to accept any of this.  I don't think he's been engaging in "brilliant" political strategy and he certainly has failed to cover up his glaring deficiencies.

There hasn't been a steady stream of disinformation.  I'm not convinced you can make a reasonable case that there is more disinformation than the prior administration produced, but you can certainly see the impact of an aggressive press corps versus one that carries water for the administration. 

Political "posturing" is a matter for debate.  Looks more to me like the author means that Trump holds political positions that match his bases and the author disagrees with him.

Intentionally creating division.  Intentionally provoking sure.  I seriously doubt that someone with Trump's ego wouldn't prefer that everyone unite behind him and call him wonderful.  I don't think he sees the same merit in splitting us into hostile groups that Obama did.

He has drawn his opponents into a constant state of outrage and indignation, diverting their attention from the sum and substance of the little he's had to say about government policy.

Flat out false.  His opponents have been unthinkingly outraged from the start, and oppose even their own goals if Trump supports them.  The opposition to "normalizing" is beyond stupidity.  You can't blame Trump for the left being unhinged that was their choice.

On the second point, he's actually said an awful lot about government policy, it's kind of nonsensical to claim otherwise.

Instead they have focused on the seemingly frivolous things he's said and done.

Yes, we already established his opponents are unthinking and reactionary.  Even if you could make a plausible case that it was his fault (which you can't), all I could really say to that is we should laugh at them.

He has come to realize something that most of the rest of have yet to comprehend, namely, that his target audience doesn't CARE about policy discussions and position papers.

Again, flatly false.  His base cares very much about policy and positions, just not on the same metrics as the political wonks.  They care less about Right v. Left, than they do about Establishment v. Individual rights.  Not being able to comprehend what really matters to the "little people" in fly over country is a failing of those being critical.  They are really upset that the little people are no longer blindly buying into the party lines their elite betters are selling them.

They're not bothered that he lies to them because they think the people pointing out the lies are the ones having trouble with the truth.

Or they expect you to prove a lie, rather than assert it, and you've utterly failed to demonstrate any material lies.  It doesn't help that you pitch lies of your own (e.g. Trump is a racist, Trump is anti-Semitic) and expect them to be swallowed whole.

The brilliance of this strategy is that there's no way to counteract it.

Sure there is, actually understand what people want and correct your positions.  That of course is too much work, so instead lets just label everyone with nasty names and try to guilt our way back into power.

The media can shout from the housetops or publish headlines five feet high that what Donald Trump is saying is a lot of mule fritters and it won't make a bit of difference.

The media could be honest, and report the facts and let people make their own conclusions and it would make all the difference in the world.  The fact that people every bit as smart as (and many smarter) than the media read the stories and reject the one sided conclusions is again a failing of the media.  When your bias is so obvious, your credibility goes down the crapper.

The only way to neutralize Donald Trump's illusions is to refuse to show them, to simply take away his audience. In short, to ignore him.

Lol.  Cats out of the bag, Trump doesn't need the media to cooperate to get his message out.  Ignoring him, just further demonstrates that they are not doing their job of informing us but rather attempting to control us.

Until the media has the courage, not to stand up to President Trump, but rather to take the stage away from him, he will play his trick over and over and over again.

If you can't make a valid argument against someone, take the mike away from them.  Glad to see where leftist thought is heading, and we wonder why they won't denounce Anti-fa.

When I first heard what Trump had to say about respecting the flag and not using it as a way to expenses free speech, a concern that the nation is living up to the standards symbolized by the flag is that he was intentionally trying to distract the nation. And it works every time.

I would just as soon he stayed out of it (again doesn't seem brilliant to me), as he made the matter worse, not better.  On the other hand, I'm not watching an NFL game where they kneel again, and I'm done with merchandise as well.

I note though, that this is an issue where much like your quoted author pointed out, the entire issue is the direct result of the media choosing to make it an issue.  At every game they waited with breathless anticipation to promote the controversy and make it into a giant issue.  Kaep may still be playing if they'd just let the issue be and not put him on camera at every single opportunity.  Yet, to you, it's a Trump issue, not a media issue.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
For me it’s a Trump strategy issue which is one of manipulation and that the media continues to play into. His Art of the Deal spelled it out. Divide and Conquer. Keep everyone one off balance, never let them see what you’re really doing.   America can never be united behind such a strategy, if that were to happen, his political career will be over. 

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »
I don't think this is really part of any grand strategy.

It is simply Donald Trump being Donald Trump.

The only thing "strategic" about it is "his base" understands that. So while everyone else flips their $^%* over it, he reaffirms his relationship with his political base(In a "I haven't changed how I do things" kind of way), and makes his opposition go completely bonkers trying to figure out what his end goal is. News flash: He probably didn't have one, and that you and others are going nuts trying to find one just puts icing on the proverbial cake for him.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »
His "end goal" is going to be to cash out.  In tax reform that benefits him directly and in the fame and... prestige?  Of having been POTUS.  That's pretty much it.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
He's someone "playing at chess" while others are out there thinking he's either some kind of Grand Master, or following directions from one(that nobody can identify?), at the thing so they keep beating their heads against the wall trying to figure out what he's doing.

Although the Tax Reform thing is an eye-roller at the same time.

He's a billionaire, so are a number of other people. Of course, my understanding of the current Tax Code, there isn't much difference between Joe Blow making 300K/year and Donald Trump. So a tax code change that benefits Donald Trump also benefits Joe Blow. However, Joe Blow may be a small/mid-sized business owner who is unincorporated for whatever reason, so helping "Joe Blow" helps the economy(which may be Trump's actual aim), but we're(collectively) going to try to torpedo it, because oh hey, Trump benefits from this in a massive way.

Heaven forbid a multi-billionaire make changes to the tax code that he knows would cause him to engage in more "entrepreneurial activity" if were able to... Knowing it should cause almost everyone else in his tax bracket to do the same.

Nope, it's totally Donald Trump trying to profiteer off of being PotUS.  ::)

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
Of course, my understanding of the current Tax Code, there isn't much difference between Joe Blow making 300K/year and Donald Trump.

Here's the thing, TheDeamon.  There is no "Joe Blow" making $300,000/year.

Per this Salon article from 2014, 99 percent of households made less than $388,000/year.  95 percent of households made less than $167,000/year.

Assuming this is true, $300,000/year will put a household in the top 2-3 percent, even taking into account inflation since 2014.  That's about the number of high school valedictorians and salutatorians we have each year.

Hardly a "Joe Blow." :)

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »
Here's the thing, TheDeamon.  There is no "Joe Blow" making $300,000/year.

Per this Salon article from 2014, 99 percent of households made less than $388,000/year.  95 percent of households made less than $167,000/year.

Assuming this is true, $300,000/year will put a household in the top 2-3 percent, even taking into account inflation since 2014.  That's about the number of high school valedictorians and salutatorians we have each year.

Hardly a "Joe Blow." :)

1) Unincorporated Small/Mid-Sized Business Owner
2) Purchases(rather than leases) two business locations(mortgage/business loan)
3) Business operates at a profit, allowing business owner to pay down loans.
4) Only because they're unincorporated, while they can write-off some of the loan payments(interest)/expenses and wages paid to employees, everything else ends up in the profit(read: personal income) column.

So yay for him/her, he made $300,000 "profit" that year, but a good chunk of that is probably going to be sunk right back into the business.

And a quick Google turns up this one:
https://www.thebalance.com/should-you-incorporate-your-small-business-2947252

Becoming incorporated gives you tax deferral potential if you are a higher income earner. Business tax rates are much lower than personal tax rates, so if your individual marginal tax rate is high and you don't need the funds for personal use you can elect to leave money in the business and take it out at a later date when your personal tax rate is lower.

For example, say you live in Washington State and your business had $300,000 in earnings after expenses for the year:

If you took out the entire $300,000 as salary (and had no deductions) you would pay $91,500 in personal taxes, with a marginal tax rate of 33 percent.
If you took out $200,000 as salary you would pay $56,000 in personal taxes, with a marginal tax rate of 28 percent. On the $100,000 left in the company, the corporate tax would be 15 percent of the first $50,000 + 25 percent of the next $25,000 + 34 percent of the remaining $25,000, for a total of $22,250. Your total tax in this scenario would be $56,000 in personal tax + $22,250 in corporate tax = $78,250, a savings of $13,250 in taxes vs taking out the entire $300,000 as salary.

Where incidentally, they also seem to have locked in around that $300,000 point. Funny that.