Author Topic: Facebook in your brain  (Read 638 times)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Facebook in your brain
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:59:56 AM »
An older article I came across while doing some research.

Today at F8, Facebook  revealed it has a team of 60 engineers working on building a brain-computer interface that will let you type with just your mind without invasive implants. The team plans to use optical imaging to scan your brain a hundred times per second to detect you speaking silently in your head, and translate it into text.

Regina Dugan, the head of Facebook’s R&D division Building 8, explained to conference attendees that the goal is to eventually allow people to type at 100 words per minute, 5X faster than typing on a phone, with just your mind.

The plan is to eventually build non-implanted devices that can ship at scale. And to tamp down on the inevitable fear this research will inspire, Facebook tells me “This isn’t about decoding random thoughts. This is about decoding the words you’ve already decided to share by sending them to the speech center of your brain.” Facebook likened it to how you take lots of photos but only share some of them. Even with its device, Facebook says you’ll be able to think freely but only turn some thoughts into text.

I don't think Facebook is terribly trustworthy about what things they are going to capture. And now imagine that Facebook gets not only the data that goes into Facebook, but also everything you type...

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook in your brain
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
I know that Mary Lou Jepsen is working on this tech (don't think for FB though).  I doubt it will ever have relevance for facebook type applications, but definitely will for cheaper alternatives to fMRI.

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »
Musk has a company too doing this, Neuralink. There's another couple of startups out there too.

Mostly it is an accessibility feature for people with paralysis like stroke victims, but here particularly Facebook is describing more as a way for everyone to just type a lot faster.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
Musk's company is working on a different approach the 'neuro-lace' - electrodes that sit inside the blood vessels of the brain.  It has the potential for dramatically higher resolution and potentially integration with the brain (signaling to and from neurons), but it is much more invasive and there is a risk of it occluding the blood vessels since most of the pathways are a tight squeeze.

n Musk’s vision, it is actually a bunch of electrodes inside your brain to enable humans to merge with artificial intelligence.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604254/with-neuralink-elon-musk-promises-human-to-human-telepathy-dont-believe-it/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:50:49 AM by LetterRip »