Author Topic: Who the heck is Mari Stull?  (Read 677 times)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Who the heck is Mari Stull?
« on: September 18, 2018, 09:12:03 AM »
So, as I browsed through Breitbart today their latest outrage blared that deep state action was being taken to eliminate Mari Stull. I thought to myself, who the hell is Mari Stull? I consider myself a pretty avid follower of politics and I'd never even heard the name before. So I took a look around, and there was apparently a relatively obscure article in Foreign Policy that was centered around staffer dislike of Stull and ideological division. Foreign Policy has a circulation of about 100,000 (wikipedia). I can't imagine their online presence is much greater.

Her name does not appear on a CNN search, NBC, NY Times, BBC, Huffington Post*

Washington Post did have an article right after the Foreign Policy article as part of a big roundup kind of summary blog/analysis piece. Breitbart immediately shot back at the time of the post decrying weaponization of leaks.

The recent Breitbart piece is very long by their usual standards. 

This really does bring up a point, however. When somebody comes in with no diplomatic experience, is executing plans to dismantle everything you've been working toward your whole career, and acts with paranoia toward your motives (with some justification), is it any wonder they are going to fight back? In the private sector, when a new leader comes in, it wouldn't be unusual for someone to clean house and get rid of anyone incompatible with a new vision. This isn't possible in civil service where jobs are protected. So I do understand complaints of people about a "deep state" when it comes to a desire for a radical departure from the globalist view to a nationalist one. I'm not sure exactly what could be done about this pathology. I don't think we're wanting all political appointees where nobody has any experience (because anybody with much experience probably won't get behind any radical shifts).

This rambled a little bit, but it is a big theme lately. I don't really know what the Breitbart editors and readers are expecting. That everybody in the state department shoudn't have an opinion, that they should just mindlessly execute whatever they're told to do?

* methodology "mari stull site:X"

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Who the heck is Mari Stull?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
So I do understand complaints of people about a "deep state" when it comes to a desire for a radical departure from the globalist view to a nationalist one. I'm not sure exactly what could be done about this pathology. I don't think we're wanting all political appointees where nobody has any experience

The most significant problem regarding the deep state isn't that civil servants with their same old agenda remain regardless of administration. The problem is powerful people who don't even occupy government positions working in concert with some people in government. The people in government could even be rotated out and it wouldn't materially change much because those outside of government (lobbyists, members of think tanks and "societies", and corporate/banking moguls) will retain all their lines of influence and their set agendas.