Author Topic: UFO's could it be aliens?  (Read 784 times)

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: UFO's could it be aliens?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
There was/is a pretty significant movement of intelligence and military personnel to want full disclosure on the topic, and IIRC they were granted a hearing before...Congress?...to submit their case a few years back. I never heard any follow-up about that. But significant amounts of credible-sounding people have been insisting for decades they've seen crazy stuff. Not shiny lights at night kind of thing, but impossible radar scenarios, pilots making sightings, etc.

For my part there are two columns on this, each of which has additional columns:

1) These are all explainable through some ordinary phenomenon (brain skipped a bit, weather, airplanes + glare, etc).
-Sub-column 1: Why would all these people be so lucid and clear about something which anyone could experience, i.e. a random sensory glitch that looks funny? Are they crazier than they appear, or are strange events more common than we think but most people don't talk about it?
-Sub-column 2: If there really are no UFO's why wouldn't the government be very upfront about all their research and evidence, and make a public case to this effect? Why act opaque and obscure about a topic that's a nothingburger?

2) These are real sightings:
-Sub 1: They are extra-terrestrial in nature.
-Sub 2: They are us, using undisclosed technology (I think there is an incredibly high likelihood of this).
-Sub 3: They are time travelers. This one is less likely even than aliens, but worth a mention.
-Sub 4: There are aliens, but what we see is us using their tech in experimental craft.

I actually enjoy this topic, although I don't study it as much as I'd like to.

NobleHunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
Any idea of what the energy budget would be for time travel? One of the reasons extra-terrestrials are unlikely is that interstellar travel takes so much energy that there's not a lot of point in conducting it. Hard to think of why people would go back down into a gravity well just to buzz the natives.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
Any idea of what the energy budget would be for time travel? One of the reasons extra-terrestrials are unlikely is that interstellar travel takes so much energy that there's not a lot of point in conducting it. Hard to think of why people would go back down into a gravity well just to buzz the natives.

With our level of technology both energy costs are essentially infinite. Rockets don't work for interstellar, but there could be other technologies that allow for travel in a more efficient way. Time and the extreme distance are probably more prohibitive than simply energy. Who wants to sign up for a best case of 10 years, one way, to travel to even a nearby star system if you don't know if there is anything interesting on the other end. Without sci-fi level tech that allows traveling light years in months the only ships that could explore the galaxy are generation ships.

Much more likely anything buzzing our skies are automated drones that will report back interesting science to whomever made them. It would require a long time frame and great engineering but I could see Earth being capable of sending probes to nearby stars within the next century. The big question is if we could send something that could generate enough power to send a signal home from those distances. The voyager space craft show we're capable of escaping our solar system, we just aren't going to be getting any data back from them long before they get anywhere near another star.

Technologies we know about today could get a probe going pretty fast and on course for a neighboring star, but pretty fast still probably means 100 year transit time but a solar sail and an ion drive engine could travel the distance. But getting it home or getting any interesting information back from such a probe is to my knowledge currently impossible.

Time travel while theoretically possible feels like it is more likely to be impossible than some type of advanced traveling tech that allows traveling light years in months.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
I don't see why we should be only considering force-propulsion technologies. Warp drive or a jump drive could allow for interstellar travel quite quickly, relatively speaking, and all that would remain at that point would be the will to go do it. Jump gates in particular would be very convenient to create an interstellar highway.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 05:07:39 PM »
If you watch the videos - mathematical analysis and knowledge of how the video pods work lead to prosaic explanations - one was a weather balloon, the other two appear to be commercial jets.  The objects aren't moving fast - the height and parallax give the illusion of speed and the pilots are also misjudging distances.

Interestingly for past videos - once the location is known - they've been able to identify the specific commercial jet that was mistaken for a UFO.  (The jet exhaust is bright on infrared, so you don't see the physical jet; then on visible light you see the blob shape of a jet).

Also I didn't know that weather balloons have radar reflectors so that they can be seen by aircraft on radar more easily.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:16:11 PM by LetterRip »

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:04:50 PM »
The best UFO failure I know of was a low-flying advertising plane with a net of synchronized lights hanging from wingtip to wingtip. Viewed from underneath, the ad was easy to read. Seen at a tight angle, one just saw moving lights that moved in ways that most observers said "defied the laws of physics. "There are many such explained phenomena that make sense - but there are also things that are not so easily explained.

I have a few experiences that can't be explained. Probably all of us have something to share.