Author Topic: Fitness as a tool of oppression  (Read 1313 times)

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
Fitness as a tool of oppression
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
OK, so this is where we blur the lines, it seems like a parody but it's not.

Fatness is health, dieting is sexual assault, and fitness is a white supremacist Nazi science – so stated a self-described ‘Fat Sex Therapist” at a college talk. Commenters were shocked, but the anti-fitness backlash is growing.

Sonalee Rashatwar, the therapist in question, delivered her polemic in a two-hour lecture at St. Olaf College, Minnesota last week. Puzzlingly, the lecture was hosted by the university’s Wellness Center, in conjunction with the Women’s and Gender Studies Department.

“I truly believe that a child cannot consent to being on a diet the same way a child cannot consent to having sex,” she declared, adding: “I experience diet culture as a form of assault because it impacts the way that I experience my body.”

Diet and fitness, encouraging healthy behaviors, is assault. For reals.

While the overwhelming medical consensus recognizes obesity as a cause of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes, and premature death, Rashatwar joins a growing number of ‘fat acceptance’ and ‘health at every size’ activists who argue otherwise. Science, she told the crowd, is a white supremacist tool designed to oppress the obese.

“We should be critical of the use of science and the production of knowledge to continue promoting this idea that certain bodies are fit, able, and desirable… is it my fatness that causes my high blood pressure, or is it my experience of weight stigma?” Rashatwar, who uses the gender-neutral ‘they/them’ pronouns, asked.

“Fatphobic” science is “often actually eugenic science… eugenic science is Nazi science,” she continued.

Science is the tool of white supremacists. Right, OK. Does the phrase "white supremacist" even mean anything anymore?

High blood pressure is not caused by obesity but instead by the stigma of being fat. Seriously, you can't tell if it's a parody or not, can you? You can't point out being obese causes health problems. If you do, you're a Nazi and, hey, it's ok to direct violence at Nazi's!

“I do not think it’s surprising that the man who shot up Christchurch, New Zealand was also a fitness instructor,” the self-described “Donut Queen” said. She argued that the shooting was “a clear communication that there’s still an idealized body. Nazis really love this idea of an idealized body, and so it makes a lot of sense to me that a fitness instructor… might also think about an idealized body in this thin white supremacist way.”

See, fitness-oriented people are dangerous, they kill innocent people. Being fit is being a Nazi, you are evil if you're thin!

Now, you're thinking it just a one-off screed by an angry, overweight person with low blood sugar jonesing for their next donut but it's not:

Rashatwar’s intersectional rambling was not a once-off event at a stereotypically liberal university. Rather, it came as part of a 12-date nationwide speaking tour, during which she dissects issues like “How Fat Queers the Body,” and “Health is a Social Construct.” She is also a licensed therapist.

A 12 date, nationwide tour. WTF?  :o

I'm open to the idea this is fake news, I'd love it to be. I fear it's not. Who can tell?

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness as a tool of oppression
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
reads like a bunch of crap to me.

D.W.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:27:42 PM »
Quit listening to crazy people Crunch.  Yes, we all know they are out there and they believe all sorts of crazy stuff.  Doesn't mean you got to repeat their nonsense. 

"Is this person serious?"
"Doesn't matter, they're nuts."
The End

Wayward Son

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »
Although obesity is more complex than just people eating too much and not exercising (anecdotally, I know this from college, when I ate 3 big meals a day and hardly ever exercised, but still was as skinny as a rail), denying the health risks is just plain stupid.  Denialism at its worst.

There are crazies on all ends of the spectrums.  ::)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
What's funny is that obesity is about the only lifestyle threat to health that is stigmatized the same way. People don't mind shouting at fat people on the street, or using a pejorative term. Even more so than smokers.

Is it really about fitness or health? Or is it about disparaging someone about their cosmetic appearance? "Fat slob" or "fat pig" aren't attempts to help someone with their health.

The quotes are ridiculous, I'm not even going to bother addressing them.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »
I have observed that craziness is a continuum, and legitimizing 'medium craziness' gives a lot of aid to the 'high craziness' people. You will find a venn diagram overlap between "don't judge my choices" people (very, very common) and the "don't judge my body" people (still very common, and very trendy", notwithstanding the fact that "don't judge my body" itself shares majorly in a venn diagram with "don't judge my health". The 'opinion' about how to lead a life becomes enmeshed with what we might call facts about what is good and not good for you. If others are proscribed from judging, or even assessing, your choices, that bleeds into health choices. It's not much of a jump from anti-fat-shaming to anti-diet-exercise to anti-Vaxx. All of these float around in the same mental space, despite not all having equal validity. Culturally they are treated as basically the same. But allow people to tell you factually that being obese is bad for you, and the thinking is this will automatically imply that now you can tell people that being trans or even gay is bad for you; all social/physical attributes become either taboo to discuss at all, or else all open fodder to condemn people who don't fit your criteria for fit/beautiful/virtuous. And cutting a line between them has proved increasingly difficult, or even uproarious to many.

I don't think Crunch's quote is actually that crazy, insofar as the likelihood that you would encounter this *sort* of argument in real life. The literal "diet = assault" thing is zany, but you might well find a motte version of that for real in the form of "telling me I should go on a diet is causing me harm, and you are therefore an aggressor/oppressor."

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »
Quit listening to crazy people Crunch.  Yes, we all know they are out there and they believe all sorts of crazy stuff.  Doesn't mean you got to repeat their nonsense. 

The End

It's not the end if the nut is your President, your dean, or your boss.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
I don't think Crunch's quote is actually that crazy, insofar as the likelihood that you would encounter this *sort* of argument in real life. The literal "diet = assault" thing is zany, but you might well find a motte version of that for real in the form of "telling me I should go on a diet is causing me harm, and you are therefore an aggressor/oppressor."

You might find a couple of cases where an otherwise batpoop sweeping statement finds its twice a day niche. Some diets really are so hazardous that minors should not engage in them without medical support. (I am pretty sure that I damaged myself at age 13 with my weeklong fast and other bulimic practices but fortunately my parents took me to a doctor that talked me out of prolonged fasting. And the practices of some young wrestling teams should be scrutinized to avoid turning into competitive bulimia.

What Crunch's article underscores to me is the failing sophistry of victimhood rhetoric

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »

The End

I’m not sure we can afford to ignore them - this one is booked on a 12 stop, nationwide tour. People are listening to the crazy, embracing it. Ignore them for long, you’ll end up being their nazi.

When faced with a group of people pushing this message, what do you think the current democrat field would do? They’d listen. They’d make promises to help. They’d legitimize this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:31:18 AM by Crunch »

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »
Case in point

A group of faculty members at Williams College met to discuss a proposal for adopting the Chicago principles, a commitment to free speech that has now been accepted by some 60 institutions.

About 15 activist students attended the meeting, which occurred back in November, and brought signs that read "free speech harms." These students continuously disrupted the meeting, and even instructed white male professors to "sit down," according to an eyewitness, Dr. Luana Maroja.

“Students were just screaming that we were trying to 'kill them,'" Maroja, chair of Williams biochemistry program, told Inside Higher Ed.

While most professors at the meeting were highly supportive of free speech and many sent me grateful emails, I was shocked at the behavior of some of my colleagues. For example, one professor turned to the students and said that they should read the names missing from our list of signatories, as "those were professors that were with the students" (an appalling tactic that created an "us vs them" atmosphere). Another professor stated that she was involved in creating violence in UC Berkeley for Milo Yiannopoulos's disinvitation and would be ready to do the same at Williams.

This is not parody, it’s the crazy reality. There are a growing number of people embracing the idea that speech they disagree with is violent. They think it will kill them. This is crazy. Setting up speech as violent, perhaps deadly, is the foundation for responding to that speech with violence. Something we are seeing and it’s growing.

We can’t ignore these crazies.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 08:43:31 AM »
Someone should ask her what she thinks of former first lady Michelle Obama's fitness and school lunch program. Was the former first lady acting as a tool of white supremacists unwittingly or with malice aforethought?

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 08:54:10 AM »
Pink ribbon on the white house, so definitely white supremacist. #BrownPussiesMatter

Pete: Please see your email. - OrneryMod
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:54:17 PM by OrneryMod »

Crunch

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »
Someone should ask her what she thinks of former first lady Michelle Obama's fitness and school lunch program. Was the former first lady acting as a tool of white supremacists unwittingly or with malice aforethought?

The response is that only white men can oppress people and that Michelle has been brainwashed by the white man. Seriously, I’m pretty sure that’s the response, close at least.

Pete at Home

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »
If the article had been written in Nazi Germany circa 1934 it might have had a point.
See, e.g., https://youtu.be/pQAdwjYc_VE
But lefties like the far right like nothing better than running round with fire extinguishers during a flood.

DJQuag

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »
Breaking news, broken clocks are right twice a day.

TheDeamon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 12:22:57 AM »
Breaking news, broken clocks are right twice a day.

Depends on the clock these days. Many digital ones, once broken are never right.