Author Topic: Voting During a Pandemic  (Read 538 times)

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
Voting During a Pandemic
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
Two issues here.

1) The 2020 election. Mail in could be used in larger numbers than ever before in most states. While I support this for use during a pandemic I do have concerns about election fraud with mail in. However the concerns I have about mail in are smaller than the concerns I have about any touch screen or purely electronic voting system. The virus is likely going to still be an issue in November. Significant planning needs to be going on to ramp up mail in voting, maybe allowing early voting for an extended period of time at more places to keep crowds down, and other plans to keep polling places safe.

2) Proxy voting on the house floor. I understand the desire by the dems to do this but I would have preferred they have used some type of technology to vote remotely. Electronically "present" seems more in line with the constitution than voting by proxy. I nominally support the republicans objection to this method. In the long run remote working and voting for congress could lead to some interesting new dynamics of power. I imagine with as many down as upsides but it could shake some things up if members stayed home more and were flying around the country less.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Voting During a Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »
...The virus is likely going to still be an issue in November.

Only if the Democrats keep it an issue. As Dr. Fauci just announced, the feared resurgence does not appear to be a factor. Their fear is not of Coronavirus, but of that sharp "V" curve as the economy rises again.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:37 PM »
...The virus is likely going to still be an issue in November.

Only if the Democrats keep it an issue. As Dr. Fauci just announced, the feared resurgence does not appear to be a factor. Their fear is not of Coronavirus, but of that sharp "V" curve as the economy rises again.

Linkie?

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »
As Dr. Fauci just announced, the feared resurgence does not appear to be a factor.
That's not what Fauci said.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
As Dr. Fauci just announced, the feared resurgence does not appear to be a factor.
That's not what Fauci said.

It was just on TV when I was online. I heard him. Wait for the MSM to paraphrase his statement and we'll see where that takes us.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:37:27 PM »
Just provide us with an accurate transcription, then.  It's what other people do.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:07:11 PM »
If Fauci said something similar to the interview I heard from him last night its that the resurgence in the fall isn't inevitable if we get the virus down to levels we can control through track and trace.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »
Just provide us with an accurate transcription, then.  It's what other people do.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/27/dr-anthony-fauci-says-a-second-wave-of-coronavirus-is-not-inevitable.html

Quote from: Dr. Fauci
“But now is the time, depending upon where you are and what your situation is, to begin to seriously look at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try to get back to some degree of normal.”

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50:45 PM »
This:
Does not at all mean this:
“But now is the time, depending upon where you are and what your situation is, to begin to seriously look at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try to get back to some degree of normal.”
Take a moment and try to figure out why they don't mean the same thing.

wmLambert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
This:

But they do. The antithesis is the Democrat fear-mongers who do not want that "V"-curve.

Kasandra

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
But they do. The antithesis is the Democrat fear-mongers who do not want that "V"-curve.

Your view is decidedly faith based, since the vast majority of scientists don't have that confidence.  That doesn't include your insistence that a major segment of the population want the country to fail, which is frankly an insane thing to say.

DonaldD

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:46:43 PM »
This:

Try to explain why you think one of those statements implies the other.  Lay it out there.  Use your words.

yossarian22c

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »
No one dog-piling on Pelosi instituting proxy voting?

I don't see that one standing up in the SC. I think being electronically "present" and voting is much more likely to be valid. Although it would be hilarious to see the SC strike down congress remote voting while hearing all arguments via conference call.