Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 259319 times)

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #3750 on: November 23, 2021, 05:30:19 AM »
Some good news, if it works as well as the As Seen On TV infomercial.

https://news.yahoo.com/experimental-chewing-gum-may-reduce-183353601.html

"An experimental chewing gum containing a protein that "traps" coronavirus particles could limit the amount of virus in saliva and help curb transmission when infected people are talking, breathing or coughing, researchers believe. The gum contains copies of the ACE2 protein found on cell surfaces, which the virus uses as a gateway to break into cells and infect them."

Whether it works or not it's nice to see people thinking creatively.

I had thought of an idea that I might put in my next sci-fi novel, which would also be my first one, kind of along the idea of the Theranos blood test which would have let you take a very small sample of blood and test it for numerous pathogens and ailments. Maybe someone has thought of this already, but the idea is to take air samples and run them through high powered video and photographic equipment and then let a pattern recognition AI search for things like coronaviruses, black mold, asbestos, and pretty much anything you can think of as you just give the program the pattern and it looks for it. The air sampler would also be a high volume air purifier. The same idea could work for blood too. Instead of trying to get reactions out of the blood to test for everything, just have the AI do a visual inspection at the microscopic level.

Well I should have looked it up first before hoping I had thought of it first. I posted the above first and then looked it up:

https://innovationorigins.com/en/a-diagnostic-revolution-faster-blood-sample-analysis-through-ai/

"But RAPID does not stand for “fast” here, rather it is the abbreviation for “real-time analysis of physical phenotype in deformational flow.” The basis of this method is a technique in which a blood sample is sent through a transparent channel smaller than the diameter of a hair. In the process, a high-speed camera captures how the cells are deformed at about 2,000 to 4,000 photos per second. Artificial intelligence (AI) then searches these images for features that are signs of certain diseases and provides a specific suggested diagnosis. Another advantage of this method over the usual microscopic examinations is that the cells do not have to be elaborately stained in the process."

Maybe the same type of thing could be done for air except without channeling it as that may miss things, just taking like a wider angle picture or video but the resolution is so fantastic that the program can still pick out the searched for particles.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: November 23, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »
Gum tends to increase saliva spray during talking and saliva flow, so it is unclear that the net effect would be of benefit.  Interesting idea though.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: November 25, 2021, 04:57:28 AM »
So Fauci is at again putting out dangerously misleading information about Covid at odds with health experts including the World Health Organization.

https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-says-families-fully-vaccinated-034318842.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"NIAID director Anthony Fauci told CNN Sunday that families fully vaccinated against COVID-19 "absolutely" don't need to wear masks when gathering for the holidays."

----------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, "Europe is once again the epicentre of the COVID-19 pandemic amid a "false sense of security" over the protection offered by vaccines, World Health Organisation director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday...

... "In many countries and communities, we are concerned about a false sense of security that vaccines have ended the pandemic, and that people who are vaccinated do not need to take any other precautions," he said.

Vaccination, wearing masks and social distancing remain key to halting transmission, WHO officials said.

"We are back to pre-pandemic levels of social mixing (in Europe)... even in the midst of very strong resurgence in cases and even in the midst of some of those countries under high pressure in health systems," WHO emergency director Mike Ryan said.

"And the reality is the virus will continue to transmit intensely in that environment,” he said.

WHO epidemiologist Maria van Kerkhove said that it was important to take measures during the holiday period, adding: "Social measures do not mean lockdowns."

https://news.yahoo.com/false-sense-security-around-vaccines-145355032.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fauci is not listening to the science or the World Health Organization. If he was he would be warning people that now is not the time to start letting our guard down even if you are vaccinated. We also know, and he should know by now, that people will lie about their vaccination status, lie by omission and lie right from their unmasked face to yours, so his advice is going to lead to much more transmission than we'd see taking the more prudently cautious advice of the WHO. This pandemic not only isn't over, it's not even going in the right direction, and Fauci at many critical junctures including this one puts out false information that facilitates spreading the disease and making matters much worse than they would be if someone more competent were in his position. Like who? Like someone from the WHO. That would be nice.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: November 25, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
In a family of say 10 where everyone is vaccinated and showing no signs of being sick  should wear a mask while gathering for Thanks Giving Dinner. Except when they sit down to eat....

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: November 25, 2021, 09:57:36 AM »
I think it's patently ridiculous to think families that are double or triple vaxxed should be wearing masks at dinner. There is a difference between something being technically superior at avoiding infection, versus reasonable precautions. Would a family be safer staying masked? Yes. They would also be safer not gathering at all, or in fact not going to work, or in fact living in a medical bubble. So where is the line? cherry, do you really think people should reasonably agree to wear masks at family gatherings forever? Personally I would call such a suggestion delusional. I am no Fauci fan, but this doesn't seem like the hill to die on.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: November 25, 2021, 10:41:46 AM »
I doubt the WHO is saying that families should be wearing masks at dinner but they did mention social distancing and that's still on the table so it may be premature to have the great big family reunion Thanksgiving dinners. Well the good thing is that nobody is going to listen to me. The bad thing is a lot of those people are going to get sick and die. People are going to travel all over the country and the world and gather in enclosed places for very long periods of time despite the WHO saying that the vaccines are only providing a false sense of security because Fauci seems to be contradicting the WHO and saying that the vaccines provide a true sense of security. Our holiday covid numbers will tell us who should have been believed and most likely Fauci will keep his consistent track record of erring on the side of danger instead of caution resulting in tens to hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by people who believed in him and prolonging the pandemic while giving the virus as many chances as possible to further mutate.

Anyway, enough doom and gloom. Everyone enjoy your Thanksgivings! I'm enjoying mine by going nuclear, nuclear family only.

Fenring

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: November 25, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
Anyway, enough doom and gloom. Everyone enjoy your Thanksgivings! I'm enjoying mine by going nuclear, nuclear family only.

Each family can set its own standards. Earlier this year for a family gathering I did ban one unvaxxed couple from attending. And if you don't trust particular individuals you can absolutely keep distance from them. That said if you're in a small room for several hours with someone sick or contagious, and then sitting down to eat with them, I don't like your chances even if you keep a few feet away. If you are that concerned I would do as you suggest and just avoid most people. Masks are not going to put you at ease on that front. Just remember that this isn't going away, so whatever policy you adopt is your life now.

NobleHunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: November 25, 2021, 11:03:26 AM »
Canada is recommending using proper masks for anyone particularly concerned about exposure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-covid-19-mask-guidance-1.6261032

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: November 25, 2021, 11:08:06 AM »
I very seriously doubt it's going to be forever. The Spanish Flu pandemic lasted about three years. This one looks like it could do something similar but with the advances in treatment and prevention it could be less. The idea that if we practice social distancing for this Thanksgiving and Christmas, not referring to the stay six feet apart social distancing but referring to the don't gather in big groups social distancing, then that's going to be what we have to do from now on for the rest of our lives doesn't hold. We see the writing on the wall right now with the covid surges in America and around the world just like we saw the writing on the wall when delta first started taking off and Biden and Fauci said taking off the masks was safe for the vaccinated. Well it wasn't safe. And now we hear from Fauci that mass gatherings are safe if everyone is vaccinated. Just like in the beginning it was safe for the public to go around maskless as long as they washed their hands. Every time he says something is safe it turns out he's wrong, and many times he's contradicted by the World Health Organization. But it's what people want to hear so it's accepted. And then when calamity happens, when things get worse despite Fauci's assurances that it was safe, everyone says that nobody could have known better. Well people did know better. They said as much, like the WHO right now. They were simply ignored.

If we don't get a big holiday covid surge that puts pressure on the hospitals again I'll admit I was wrong. But if we do all I want for Christmas is for people to admit Fauci was wrong and doing what he said to do was not as safe as he said it was.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: November 25, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »
That a good article about masks.

Great article in fact.

Just what little nit to pick on this point:

"There was a lot of controversy about N-95 masks because there weren't enough for the health-care workers. So the message then, quite understandably, was: 'Save those for the health-care workers and we will use other alternatives,'" said Marianne Levitsky...

---------------------------------------

Actually, no, that's not what the message was. The message we got was the lie that masks wouldn't help the general public.

But besides that... yeah... masks, good ones. Maybe Canada will give us another control group to show us how it's done so we can see the difference masks can make. Or we're the control group that shows what happens when masking is willy-nilly instead of concerted. Their message is different from Fauci's though.

"Masks are important even when you're fully vaccinated, both PHAC and doctors say, because although it's much less likely, infection with the virus that causes COVID-19 — especially the highly transmissible delta variant — can still happen."

That's a direct contradiction to what Fauci just said. Somebody is wrong here and Fauci's track record of being wrong doesn't look good for him.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: November 25, 2021, 12:21:38 PM »
Personally I don't much care for Dr Fauci either.

That said his comments should be taken in context. Which I think in this case involves Vaccinated Families getting together. In that context I agree.

My understanding of masks is that they lessen the probability of one person infecting another but that that probability goes down the longer people interact. (I read a study were keeping ones mouth shut was also effective in lessening the probability.  I'm going with that one for the holidays.)

Being vaccinated I wonder if coming into contact with a infected person might not be a terrible thing as statically I'm likely to fight it off without being contagions or being contagious for a shorter time. (While bosting my immunity???) 
I attempt to be aware when around those I know are not vaccinated not because I fear being infected by them but that I don't want to infect them.  In such cases I will wear a mask and do a risk analysis of how likely I could be infectious.   If I think there is a risk I could be sick and infectious I stay home.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:25:18 PM by rightleft22 »

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: November 25, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »
People who are vaccinated are much less likely to be infected.  So the odds of any particular family member being infected if the whole family is vaccinated is drastically lower.

Say P(infected) is 80% less for a vaccinated individual.
And P(infected) is 1 in 100.
Then P(infected) for a vaccinated person is 1 in 500.
So for a family of 10, we have a vaccinated family
(1-(499/500)**10 = 1 in 50 chance that one (or more) of the family members in a 10 family gathering is infected.

For an unvaccinated family
1-(99/100)**10 = 1 in 10 chance that one (or more) of the family members in a 10 family gather is infected.

Next we need risk of transmission.  5 times higher for unvaccinated.
Next we need risk of death if a family member catches it 11 times higher for unvaccinated.

So the risks for a vaccinated family are drastically lower - the odds of anyone in the gathering being infected prior to the gathering is 5 times lower.  And if someone does have it, the odds of them transmitting to another family member are 5 times lower.  And if it is transfered, the risk of serious consequences are 11 times lower.

Overall about a 275 times lower risk for a vaccinated vs unvaccinated gathering of 10.

If we assume a 1 in 100 baseline chance of death if you catch covid.   Then 1 in 100 * 1 in 275 * 1 in 10 - or about a 1 in 275,000 chance of someone at the event catching and dying from COVID-19 or about 1 in 2,750,000 chance for any particular person at the gathering doing so.  That is essentially the risk of death from driving to your familys house for thanksgiving.  Of course most of the risk of dying from COVID-19 is amongst the elderly, so if you don't have a family member over 70 attending, it is probably much less risk than driving to your familys for thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:37:40 PM by LetterRip »

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: November 25, 2021, 03:53:08 PM »
LR how do the odds change if the family has bathed in borax and taking ivermectin?

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: November 25, 2021, 03:54:33 PM »
Note that P(infected) of 1 in 100 is probably way too high.

with 100k new daily cases a day, with no asymptomatic would be about 1 in 3000.  Assuming 50% asymptomatic and unreported, 1 in 1500.  Assuming 75% assymptomatic - 1 in 750, etc.  Perhaps divide by 3-5 for lag time between infection and symptoms for those that become symptomatic.

msquared

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: November 25, 2021, 04:01:37 PM »
LR

That did not answer TheDrakes pertinent question.  :)

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: November 25, 2021, 04:37:32 PM »
I can appreciate how the vaxxed refuse to punish themselves by not seeing their families in person in large friendly gatherings for the holidays. What we saw from Fauci and Biden on the unmasking debacle though is that it's not just going to be the vaxxed who do the gathering. Their advice is imprudent. The unvaxxed take every opportunity, every encouragement from Fauci that isn't even directed at them, to act as irresponsibly as possible. We see it every time. He says the vaxxed can do this or that, take off their masks and attend the great gathering. Then the unvaxxed declare themselves as good as vaxxed with their acquired or inherent immunity and do the same. They are a lot like little children. They see someone else being allowed to do something and by golly that looks like fun so they'll do it too even if, maybe especially if, they were specifically told not to, which Fauci is hardly even telling them anyway.

All I'm saying is it would be nice to get an acknowledgement from Fauci that it while it might be safe, should be safe, for the vaccinated to gather for the holidays it would be even safer if, taking the advice of the World Health Organization, they didn't. Just like while it might be safe, "should" be safe, for someone using condoms to have multiple sex partners, dozens of them, and some of them have stds, it would be even safer if they didn't. Just like though it might be safe, should be safe, for the vaccinated to take off their masks in crowded indoor places, it would be even safer if they didn't. I like the std angle come to think of it. If you don't have an std because you've been vaccinated against it, it should be safe for you to have gather in large crowds indoors and have sex for the holidays. So the obvious problem is that's probably not as safe as we're being promised and the other issue is a lot of people who aren't vaccinated to protect from stds so have them and presumably don't know it and don't care anyway or are susceptible to breakthrough std infections despite being vaccinated are going to be spreading them around for the holidays, giving them away like stocking stuffers.

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: November 25, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
LR
That did not answer TheDrakes pertinent question.  :)

Heh, I was typing my additional post before he asked his question.

If you bathe in a high enough concentration of Borax, then your odds of COVID-19 infection death drop to zero, unfortunately your risk of Borax death increase to 100%.  At non-lethal doses, no known risk reduction.  Same with Ivermectin - if you take a high enough dose to kill you, then you can avoid COVID-19 infection, but otherwise unlikely to reduce risk.

More seriously, for Ivermectin the two studies that were large enough to not be likely due to chance and that had large effect sizes,

the first was withdrawn due to 'irregularities' that suggest either incompetence or fraud.

The second one seems legit, but appears to be an artifact of methodology that reduced false positives in the treatment group.  Essentially the treatment group had a nasal rinse of saline water + a kelp extract and ivermectin multiple times daily.  The control group was no treatment.  These were all hospital personnel. Then they used nasal swabs with a extremely high amplification PCR.  So all of the medical personnel were likely getting regular nasal contamination with COVID-19 (not infected but particles in the air) - but regular saline rinses will wash out the dead COVID-19 particles in the treatment group.  Net result in high false positive rate among the control group and low false positives in the treatment group - but no reason to think there was actual benefit from the Ivermectin, Kelp extract, or saline water. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:49:28 PM by LetterRip »

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: November 25, 2021, 04:48:19 PM »
cherry,

I just demonstrated there is more risk from going for a drive than there is in attending thanksgiving of a family of 10 where everyone is vaccinated.

It would be absurd to treat COVID-19 risk as more important than driving risk.  So unless the CDC is regularly warning people to avoid driving each day, there is no reason why they should caution fully vaccinated families to avoid gathering for thanksgiving or to recommend they wear masks.

The unvaccinated aren't going to listen to Fauci, and definitely aren't going to wear masks.  They were never going to wear masks even if Fauci said everyone, inculding vaccinated should wear them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:51:41 PM by LetterRip »

NobleHunter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: November 25, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »
The unvaccinated aren't going to listen to Fauci, and definitely aren't going to wear masks.  They were never going to wear masks even if Fauci said everyone, inculding vaccinated should wear them.

In large part because the people cherry never gets around to criticizing keep telling them they don't have to wear masks.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: November 25, 2021, 05:41:05 PM »
The unvaccinated were wearing masks though, in Walmart, in Costco, in HEB, at the library, in Boston Market, pretty much everywhere, everyone was wearing them, even in the states with Republican leadership that didn't like masks. Nobody passed a law saying that those companies and public facilities couldn't follow the CDC advice at the time which was to mask up indoors in places like those. Even DeSantis never called for a law saying Walmart couldn't require masks in its stores nationwide including in Florida. We had it. It was in the bag. We were winning. People by and large had gotten used to it and accepted it. If you don't like wearing masks you wear a loose fitting comfortable one that isn't really a big deal. Daily deaths were in the double digits. Then Biden along with the CDC suddenly came along and raised their arms in triumph saying it was safe for the vaccinated to take off their masks in those places but left it up to the honor system. And a couple of months after that we got the huge delta surge which we're still enjoying. We're seeing the same laissez-faire attitude now and it's going to get us the same deadly results.

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: November 25, 2021, 05:53:20 PM »
What we saw from Fauci and Biden on the unmasking debacle
I think it would be helpful in your argument is you included Trump - which did more then his fair share in politicizing masks and leaning heavily towards the unmaskers

The unvaxxed take every opportunity, every encouragement from Fauci that isn't even directed at them
Not just from Fauci but pretty much anyone or organization with legit credentials that gives advice except for the echo chambers they are invested in which suggest things like horse medicine... that they will accept.

All I'm saying is it would be nice to get an acknowledgement from Fauci that it while it might be safe, should be safe...
I agree Fauci is a horrible communicator. He ought to have stepped down as the go to guy on Covid long ago.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: November 25, 2021, 05:56:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1463620955096457220?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Well this is something along the lines that I like to see from the CDC.

"Before gathering with friends and family, consider using #COVID19 self-tests to protect those you care about. Along with vaccines, self-tests can help reduce the spread of COVID-19. View videos about how to self-test and learn more: https://bit.ly/2XuuySb"

rightleft22

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: November 25, 2021, 06:12:12 PM »
Then Biden along with the CDC suddenly came along and raised their arms in triumph saying it was safe for the vaccinated...

The statement wasn't a lie and there is a argument to be made that it made the unvaccinated less safe

Personally I try to be mindful and not assume everyone around me has been vaccinated.  That said I'm tired and if the unvaccinated don't want to put themselves into danger that's up to them.

In context the issue was hospitals being overwhelmed and not being able to treat everyone. Eventually I think its a matter of time before those that are going to be end up in the hospital with Covid, vaxed or not, are going to get infected no matter what we do. Mask help spread out the timeline but they don't illuminate it.  Vaccines are the best bet to limit ones risk, those that don't want to do that can't demand the rest of us to keep them safe.  Eventually we need to move on

LetterRip

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: November 27, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »
cherry,

from your post in the wrong thread,

So knowing this and with everyone freaking out because the vaccines may not provide the hoped for protection against this variant, he still went out and said it was safe for all the vaccinated to gather for the holidays anyway.

Maybe omicron won't live up to the hype and it won't be a big deal but that wasn't the case with delta which did live up to the hype and was a pretty big deal.

Except there is no reason to think that vaccines aren't effective against Omnicron given that the spread is almost exclusively among unvaccinated and partially vaccinated,

“Young people, in their 20s to just over their late 30s, are coming in with moderate to severe disease, some needing intensive care. About 65% are not vaccinated and most of the rest are only half-vaccinated,” said Mathivha.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/covid-variant-threat-worldwide-scramble-81417682

Also the number of cases of Omnicron in the US are going to be close enough to zero, that even it the vaccinated were at risk from it, the risk is so small that it can be ignored without changing the risk statistics.

So again you malign Fauci without any rational basis.

cherrypoptart

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: Today at 07:11:45 AM »
So while the experts at the World Health Organization along with the leaders of other countries and even local leaders in America are all saying gird your loins and sharpen your steal for you will soon be tested and some are even screaming brace for impact we have Fauci dancing in the dandelions singing don't worry be happy and oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, I've got a wonderful feeling everything's going my way.

He demonstrated that same carefree attitude with delta and look where that got us. Trump took a lot of heat, deservedly, for not taking the virus seriously enough and now we have Biden making the same mistakes and despite their differences the most obvious thing they both have in common is Fauci. I'm hardly saying anything crazy or even uncommon either. All I'm saying is the same thing leaders in other countries that have been more successful than we have in handling the virus have been saying all along. Common sense would say we just take a step back and say oh look at them they are doing so much better than we are hey maybe we should take a look at what they're doing differently.