Author Topic: Whingeing about money in politics  (Read 92 times)

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
Whingeing about money in politics
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:54:41 PM »
"There's an idea that a really good ad, or one delivered in just the right context to a targeted audience, can influence voters, but we found that political ads have consistently small persuasive effects across a range of characteristics," said Coppock, an assistant professor of political science in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. "Positive ads work no better than attack ads. Republicans, Democrats, and independents respond to ads similarly. Ads aired in battleground states aren't substantially more effective than those broadcast in non-swing states."

So, does this mean everybody can just chill out about all the "dark money" and "Citizens United"?

Relax

Grant

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Whingeing about money in politics
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 01:44:06 PM »

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:56:38 PM »
Ah but that's the chicken, not the egg. The candidate with the most support raises the most money, not the otherway round. With the exception of a candidate needing to build name recognition. Buttigieg likely benefitted from his ads. From the article:

Money is certainly strongly associated with political success. But, “I think where you have to change your thinking is that money causes winning,” said Richard Lau, professor of political science at Rutgers. “I think it’s more that winning attracts money.”

TheDrake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
But I will roll back on my own premise when it comes to primaries.

But in 2017, Bonica published a study that found, unlike in the general election, early fundraising strongly predicted who would win primary races. That matches up with other research suggesting that advertising can have a serious effect on how people vote if the candidate buying the ads is not already well-known and if the election at hand is less predetermined along partisan lines.